Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2006, 05:18   #1

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Origo 6000

We purchased and installed an origo 6000 alcohol marine stove. This is a passive alcohol stove.
The installation instructions although somewhat on the sparse side were easy to follow and clearly written. The same applied to operating instructions.
The pods are easy to fill, close easily and come with gaskets for further closing if one is going to be away for some time.
Many marine stoves have material in the oven that is far too light, necessitating the addition of ceramic tiles or pizza stones. This is NOT the case with the Origo oven, the bottom is heavy enough so that the food heats evenly and in reasonable time. The truth is we have found very little difference in times between this oven and ones we had in houses.
The gimbals work well, as does the locking mechanism. In short we would recommend this item to anyone considering a new galley stove, in particular to those who do not want propane ( this was the case with us).
We have not had cause to contact Origo regarding any difficulties , therefore cannot speak to the customer service aspect of this company.
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:12   #2

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
I totally agree concerning the origo products. Well made. One trick on ours is to use a griddle that covers the burners. Greatly expands the cooking surface, and allows us to control the heat better.

Cheers,
Old 15-05-2007, 06:32   #3

Boat: Bayfield 36
Photo of griddle

Shipofools could you post a photo of your griddle modification..we love our origo and would never consider switching to propane.
The issue of availability of fuel always comes up when discussions of Carribean cruising comes up to which l reply a n excellent source of alternative fuel is always available in the Islands....Cheap RUM...burns lovely and is also medicinal !
I have also found that our local Dollar Store carries "fondue fuel" and at a dollar a pint is a lot cheaper than the "Correct Fuel" as per the chandleries.
Dave
Wind Rose ll
wind rose ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 09:09   #4
cruiser

I'm glad to hear a positive review about this stove/oven.

I have been very curious about it. We have an old (20 yrs old?) pressurized alcohol stove made by Galley Maid. The thing works exceptionally well. It's just like cooking on land too. I was curious about the Origo:

1) It only holds a pint in each burner, right? Does that mean you have to fill each burner individually? Is that a pain? Ours fills one 2.5 gal tank that feeds the entire stove. We fill up every month or two. How long does that pint of alcohol last?

2) How do the control knobs work? How do they regulate the flame?

PS: Best deals on alcohol? Local hardware store.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 09:30   #5

Boat: Bayfield 36
We gave up trying to figure out how long a canister takes to use up...we live onboard during summer months and find cooking sporadic...BBQ on deck and such but generally l would say the fuel will evaporate before we use it .
The nice thing with Origo is that it is not pressurized and therefor not subject to the all too familiar "flair ups".
Flame control is a simple steel plate that slides over the flame to shut it down....my wife loves the oven and we have done everything from breads and roasts to pizza.
And by the way...we don't care how long it takes to boil water!
Dave
Wind Rose ll
wind rose ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 11:24   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind rose ll
We gave up trying to figure out how long a canister takes to use up...we live onboard during summer months and find cooking sporadic...BBQ on deck and such but generally l would say the fuel will evaporate before we use it .
The nice thing with Origo is that it is not pressurized and therefor not subject to the all too familiar "flair ups".
Flame control is a simple steel plate that slides over the flame to shut it down....my wife loves the oven and we have done everything from breads and roasts to pizza.
And by the way...we don't care how long it takes to boil water!
Dave
Wind Rose ll
Thanks, Dave!

We don't care about how long it takes to boil water either. We aren't in a rush when cooking. It takes longer to grind up the cumin or cut all the vegetables anyway...

I was just really curious about this stove since I had considered one at one point. Our 20 year old pressure stove doesn't have any "flare ups", but does have a bit of a leaky burner. One of them drips a little until the stove heats up. That wastes fuel and we don't like wasting things. ha ha

Interesting about the metal plate that just covers up the flame. Seems to be a better setup than the vaporized alcohol control we have that failed (although it IS 20 yrs old!).

The fact that the oven works so well is a plus too.

Thanks for the answers. I'm going to seriously consider this stove when we end up switching.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 13:00   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
For the record, it would appear to me that neither Dave nor Sen are morning coffee fiends, like I am.
Personally, I want to light the fire and have coffee NOW !
Dinner (particularily if augmented with rabbit food), on the other hand, can wait a little.

BTW (IMHO):
Vegatables, which take some time to cook, are what real food eats.
Real food, on the other hand, is red, and takes very little time at all, in the presense of heat.

Oh darn - nearly forgot the smiley ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 17:17   #8

Boat: Sailstar Corsair 24
Re: Origo 6000

Happy Holidays Everyone;

We just bought gimbals for our two-burner Origo stove. Would someone kindly display a photograph, or describe how to hang the stove and attach it to the countertop?

I'm not sure we have all the parts . . .

Thank you, Tholepin
tholepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 18:15   #9

Boat: csy 37

'back in the day' I used pressurized kerosene (but needed alcohol to warm the burner first) and I'm glad those days are over. been using lpg for many years now and we're reasonably satisfied with it but somewhere in the back of my head I've always had that nagging safety concern.

so last month I went to Annapolis to help a friend bring his boat down to florida. he had a two burner origo with no oven. I have to admit I really liked it. for one thing, it's self contained. no hoses, switches, tanks, connections, et al. it boiled water about as well as my lpg stove; we didn't do any real heavy cooking on it so I can't comment about the differences with lpg, but on the whole I'm no longer a skeptic. might just consider origo if my 34 year old shipmate lpg stove decides to retire itself....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 18:24   #10

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I also have a two burner Origo with the gimbals. I have not mounted the stove yet as I am still refitting the boat. I did try and fit all the pieces together a while back, but it seems like the pivots were missing a flanged bushing or spacer of some sort. I could not make a workable gimbal with the parts supplied. Rather than bother sending stuff back to the supplier, I plan to just make up my own parts as needed.

I would be very happy if the real problem turns out to be my inability to put the thing together properly.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 18:39   #11

Boat: Sailstar Corsair 24

Hi Panope,

You are where I'm at! Apart from the gimbals I think a heavy right angled base is needed to afix the s.s. gimbal post to the counter.

That's where a photograph of an Origo stove in gimbals would be worth its weight in meatballs.
tholepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 19:10   #12

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

We love our 6000.

With that said, we did get a 1/2" tile cut to fit the bottom of the over when baking bread. The extra thermal inertia evens out the heat when you open up the door as well as spreading it more evenly across the bottom to reduce burning in the center when the grill is close to the bottom.

The tile cannot block the draft holes on the two sides or the oven probably will not burn very well.

-Sven
Old 27-01-2014, 16:46   #13

Boat: Cape George, Cutter, 36

My Origo 6000 oven won't preheat past 350*, and when I place the item to be cooked into the stove it drops to 300* right away.

What are some of the max temps being experienced with your Origo ovens?
DJMCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 10:57   #14

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

I believe there is another thread addressing the Origo vs. Propane………etc. There is some good info on that thread as well.

We have recently installed an Origo 6000. It is a fantastic unit.!!!! Cooks plenty hot. Safe and easy to install, use, and clean. Fuel is a bit expensive to be sure. Continuous use for us has been to recharge the canisters about once a week. I know the science suggests that alcohol will not burn as hot. Maybe it is the design of the stove, but the Origo does burn plenty hot. Morning coffee comes soon enough.

For us it was safety and the desire to carry close to a years supply of fuel, so propane was not an option.

Stove heats to about 435F. Lots of baking for us……. bread, cookies, pizza…….etc.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 15:01   #15

Hi. I'm looking to buy the Origo 6000 and am wondering if anyone can give me the inside dimensions of the oven? I can't seem to find the info anywhere. Only see overall dims. Would I be able to cook a whole chicken in the oven for example?

Also, if anyone has one they are looking to sell, please let me know.

Thank you!
gingerlili is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
origo