Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2010, 18:13   #76
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
When I worked as paid crew on privately owned yachts it was made VERY clear to the owners that there are many variables that may affect a trip.

All too often people try to plan a timetable/schedule for trips/destinations...that leads to anxiety/disappointment and
preventable catastrophes....i.e. not waiting for a weather window.
Old 28-11-2010, 19:59   #77

Wink Itenerary....being flexible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
When I worked as paid crew on privately owned yachts it was made VERY clear to the owners that there are many variables that may affect a trip.

All too often people try to plan a timetable/schedule for trips/destinations...that leads to anxiety/disappointment and
preventable catastrophes....i.e. not waiting for a weather window.
I suppose I have made it appear that our itinerary was set in stone...which of course is silly...

we did meticulously plan it...however...weather and other unpreventable events...we would make an adjustment....

but how horrible to have it messed it...because of something that should have never happened in the first place!

Would love to hear more comments on what people expect from a charter company....on this thread..

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post568036
Old 28-11-2010, 20:08   #78

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSerenity View Post
I suppose I have made it appear that our itinerary was set in stone...which of course is silly...

we did meticulously plan it...however...weather and other unpreventable events...we would make an adjustment....

but how horrible to have it messed it...because of something that should have never happened in the first place!

Would love to hear more comments on what people expect from a charter company....on this thread..

Until you indicate otherwise though, it does seem like you were more concerned with meeting with your itinerary than getting the issues resolved.

As far as what I'd expect? If we lost a day to a mechanical issue, I'd expect them to give us a refund for that day or a credit towards a future trip.

I was surprised to see Horizon does have a lot of newer boats. How old was the boat you were on?
Old 28-11-2010, 20:09   #79

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
I wouldn't expect any Charter boat to be in Bristol Condition.

I find it humorous that you allow this flame-a-thon to continue

Oh well
hmmm I find it humourous and interesting that some are so intent on shutting down any negative comments on a Charter company...

It was my first charter, not his....

wondering....have you ever sailed Lake Dillon??? just curious...maybe it would behoove you to do some homework on that...

Certs are great...and he's got em...along with alot of experience...and MOST IMPORTANTLY....he has wisdom and common sense....

Funny....I dont recall anyone questioning the abilities, experience, integrity etc of Horizon's Ops manager...

why is that?

I think he should be held accountable for his decision....

Old 28-11-2010, 20:17   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSerenity View Post
Certs are great...and he's got em...along with alot of experience...and MOST IMPORTANTLY....he has wisdom and common sense....

Funny....I dont recall anyone questioning the abilities, experience, integrity etc of Horizon's Ops manager...
Since you brought it up, I'd have to question his common sense. 1) To leave the dock if he felt there was an issue. 2) To not contact the charter base after having issues once you left.

As you have said and I think as others have agreed, you were in an unsafe boat if it was as you describe. Not having reliable control is a problem. If you had paid for a crewed charter, would you not blame the Captain for taking you out in an unsafe boat?

Your partner was his captain and while he did bring you back safe, In my opinion he failed as a Captain by letting issues go without being addressed.

As far as the Ops Manager, we haven't heard from him so its hard to say. Based on your comments, yeah, he didn't do what he should have done either. But how much did you insist he take care of things? I would have told him I wasn't leaving the dock until things were fixed to my satisfaction. I would have asked for a manager. If necessary I would have let them know I'd be disputing the charges with my CC company and would even get on the phone with them right then and there. None of this should be necessary, but it seems in your case it may have been in order to get the boat in the condition it should have been in.
Old 28-11-2010, 21:33   #81

Bavaria 33
Moonshine
Old 28-11-2010, 21:59   #82

That's not too old, but it is around the age that the first tier charter companies would retire a boat after an extensive phase out process.

I do notice though you keep avoiding my question how how much you pressed the issues before leaving?

While it certainly is up to the company to live up to their obligations and any statements they may have on their website, not pressing the issues and holding them to them doesn't give you a free pass either.
Old 28-11-2010, 22:07   #83

The intention of this thread was to establish what people expect from the charter company / agent in relation to the promises made by the company.

It is completely uncalled for to continue to cite...lack of experience, lack of common sense, and other belittling remarks...

None of you were there...we made our descions based on balancing everything going on in the situation on a day to day basis..

I dont care how nasty and arrogant you choose to be with your remarks

Those arrogant rude remarks cannot change the truth.

My partner...I trust him implicitly.
...his judgment,wisdom,and common sense, in addition to his sailing skills, are what made our vacation as great as it was.
And...he has integrity...
He walks the walk....and is not just a bunch of talk

And cares enough...to continue to tell the truth about our experience..

Its real easy to sit back and assess our situation, and so arrogantly profess here in black and white all the things you would have done...

Yeah right!

Whatever....
I think the "do into others" rule applies here, just like everywhere else in life.
Old 28-11-2010, 22:23   #84

Was that in response to me? I've been pretty nice in my responses, so I'm not sure why I deserve that response. And I can sit back and assess and say what I would have done, because I have chartered and have been the Captain (responsible for 8 others) and would do everything I've said.

I do think this has been beaten enough though, so I'll make one last comment in regards to it..

You had a charter, had issues and won't use the charter company again. I think the charter company definetely is to blame, but I think you made choices that also affected things. And really the only fault I can see holding the charter company too is the issues you felt where there at the time of departure. Anything that happened after, I'd give them a break on since you never took the time to call and give them a chance to resolve it.
Old 28-11-2010, 23:12   #85

Boat: Baba 35
Sorry to hear about your bad experience Sweet.

We sailed with the Moorings last May in the BVI and had a great time.

Our 39' Bene was in the "Exclusive" camp (Not older than 2 years) and we did find some problems. Namely the VHF not wired to the cockpit properly, a very serious water leak (Lost a full tank in a day) and some other things such as corroded wires at the mast boot for the GPS antenna.

I actually took time to fix the problems while underway instead of calling and having a fit (Hard to fix the GPS wiring with no tools aboard, I sacrificed my headphones as a quick replacement).

I was annoyed, but I also figured that all of the problems were easy to miss while being inspected dockside. Everything seemed fine when I did a walkthrough / systems check.

Really, though this is the most telling aspect of our experience with those problems in mind. When I told the Moorings staff they offered to discount for our next trip. They were concerned and very professional about the problems. I even got a personal letter from a director asking about our trip and the problems we had.

The funny thing is that I mentioned the problems just to inform them to prevent the next crew from having the same problems we did, but they treated it like someone had perished during our trip.

Anyhow, those charter boats really get a pounding, I think it comes with the teritory. Really its how the company deals with them that is the thing to look for. I am guessing that Horizon did not deliver in that department from your anger and I will not pursue their business in the future based on your comments.

Good luck to you and I hope you get some form of redemption from them if they indeed did little to compensate you during or after your bad experience.
Old 29-11-2010, 05:47   #86
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This has been an interesting read, but it has gotten repetitious. As there is nothing new to add, this thread is now closed. Thank you all for participating.

TaoJones
Closed Thread