Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2016, 11:37   #16

Boat: Hunter 456 -46
Re: Paint Removal - Soda Blasting

To all that responded,

First and foremost Thank you. This boat was new to me last April and I had the opportunity to prep the bottom and paint before sea trial. After many hours (20) of sanding and properly washing and a wipe down I started painting. I observed spots that that were bare to the gel coat. Upon painting with West Marine PCA I had material leeching off and fouling the roller. The PO had the yard prep and paint the bottom every year. In my book this is a bad scenario for a build up of paint and poor bottom jobs. The paint displayed rough and uneven patches.
I investigated chemical stripping, bead blasting, sand blasting and just sanding it down. I chose soda blasting as I found it least aggressive to the gel coat but with good paint removal. My plan was to have the bottom blasted before the snow flies and touch up the water line and pole sand the bottom before spring prep. I found no blisters or patch repairs. I found spots probably where jack stands were placed that had poor paint adhesion to the gel coat. The keel and bottom had a barrier coat. The barrier on the gel came off almost completely. The barrier on the lead keel is totally in tack. I'll apply 4-5 coats of barrier coat and then Petit products using a hard ablative for my base and final coat in alternating colors. We're headed south next winter and plan to be in Florida and Bahama waters before returning for the summer of 2018 in the Chesapeake, Rock Hall area.

I'll be evaluating barrier and paint before deciding on the choice of products. Right now, I know I want 4-5 barrier coats and a hard ablative paint as my base. I'll go to soft ablative after that. Again, thanks for all the responses as I appreciate all the knowledge of everybody's experiences.

Bill Creadon
Hunter 456
Georgia Song
Bill Creadon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, paint removal, removal