Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2020, 15:59   #1

Petit ez coat cabin paint

Just purchased a boat with a small cabin. The cabin has a light coat of paint which is hidden by seriously intense mold. I am hoping to paint after removing the mold.

Petiti EZ coat cabin paint sounds very easy- prep consists of wiping down with ammonia. Can I do this over existing paint and does anyone have experience with this product-is it as easy as it sounds ?
radsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 19:51   #2

Re: Petit ez coat cabin paint

Don’t do it! I painted the whole interior of our 44’ boat with it, now I have the task of stripping it off and repainting. Any areas that get touched frequently gets soft and sticky, and starts coming off. Our experience is terrible. We’re stripping it off and going with an oil base paint.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 23:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsailor View Post
Just purchased a boat with a small cabin. The cabin has a light coat of paint which is hidden by seriously intense mold. I am hoping to paint after removing the mold.

Petiti EZ coat cabin paint sounds very easy- prep consists of wiping down with ammonia. Can I do this over existing paint and does anyone have experience with this product-is it as easy as it sounds ?

Ammonia is a powerful degreaser

Normally you degrease, clean , then sandpaper and paint
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 13:04   #4

Boat: Allweather 26

I painted the entire interior of a 26' boat a few years ago with it and I am very happy. The paint went over gelcoat that I pressure washed before painting. The paint has held up very well and is easy to touch up.
fritzdfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 09:35   #5

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

In conjunction with a port light replacement, I’ve been painting sections of my interior wood with Rust-Oleum “Topside” oil-based paint. Glossy, hard finish and easy to brush on. It self-levels to a degree. I’m very pleased with it.
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 09:35   #6

interior or exterior of the cabin?
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 10:09   #7

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by briblack View Post
interior or exterior of the cabin?
Pettit EZ Coat is an interior waterbase paint.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 10:25   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if I were painting the interior wood of my boat I would definitely use a solvent based paint .. probably a satin finish.
Old 15-02-2020, 13:15   #9

I want to paint the interior of the cabin. The entire surface was covered in black mold. I could get most of it off, but not all. Under the mold there is paint on the fiberglass, not gelcoat. I was thinking that if I got most of the mold off and liberally applied conubrium which is supposed to kill mold, I could paint over it and since it should be dead, won't come back through the paint.
Is this just wishful thinking - no matter how hard I scrub I cannot get all of the "black " off.
Old 15-02-2020, 14:57   #10

I would consider a shellac based undercoat like "Stainkill" to cover the back spots and encapsulate any most spores. Then use an oil based paint, not water based. Perhaps easypoxy or I like the Total Boat products from Jamestown Distributors.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 20:11   #11

CaptVR here,
I have used both, Petit and RustO'leam Top Coat for interior on gelcoat. I mix up a solution of Acetone, Laqu. Thinner, Mineral Spirits and Alcohol for de-waxing gelcoat. This mix is similar to commercial wash / de-waxer's. Works great, never have gotten any fish eye since I have used it for a wash. For painting I ad Valspar's Enamel hardener gloss enhancer. It's a little costly, about $20. for 8 oz, enough for a gallon of paint.
Your paint will kick of in about 10-20 minutes just like two part poly so no bugs while waiting hours without it. Paint flows gang buster, looks like it's been sprayed. It also get's super hard in just days, where without it, the enamel's will still scrape with a finger nail. Only place I have found the Valspar enamel hardener was at Amazon. It literally makes your enamel like a $200 a gallon 2 part polyurethane at about 1/3 the price.
Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret. Marine Surveyor and Shipwright St.Pete, Fl.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 03:44   #12

The surface I wish to paint is not gelcoat. It is fiberglass which has not had gelcoat applied
Old 16-02-2020, 03:53   #13
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I recommend to clean with the time proven TSP + bleach formula: https://www.house-painting-info.com/.../#.Xkksty9Okgo
Then paint with a solvent based paint.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 05:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsailor View Post
The surface I wish to paint is not gelcoat. It is fiberglass which has not had gelcoat applied
The products I mentioned earlier blog will work on fiberglass just as well. Just because there is no gelcoat don't think there are no waxes. There are waxes that come to the surface of polyester resins when curing, that's why after frp cures, it's not sticky.. They do make a polyester without waxes called layup resins, they stay sticky so that additional layers can be layed up over them after they cure. It is possible that you have layup resin on that surface but highly unlikely, really don't make a difference, do a wash and your covered. Not to say it will remove any other contaminants that are on the surfaces before painting.
Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 15:08   #15
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

I have mold in the cabin. Cleaned it with bleach, then Concrobiun from HomeDepot, and then detergent and water with sponge. I painted it with Petit EZ cabin water based. I sold the boat four years later with the paint still shining and no mold. I might be the exception, but I was very happy with the results

Tags
cabin, paint