Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2021, 04:16   #31

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Pfaff 130 - what make's them so popular?

Jim Grant and his wife were the founders of Sailrite.
That is a Paff 130 on the cover, isn't it.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 04:18   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

i just bay Pfaff 130 for 54$ + 15$ shipping + motor 250w 50$

https://postimg.cc/gallery/L1YKjcx
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 04:24   #33
Marine Service Provider

so simple
Old 28-05-2021, 07:05   #34

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel

The Pfaff 1221-1222 series are the ones to compare with sailrite if you want a comparison.
Measurably wider throat for one thing.
They have a walking foot and electronic startup features that will punch through the first couple of stitches without running away.
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 07:26   #35
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffel View Post
The Pfaff 1221-1222 series are the ones to compare with sailrite if you want a comparison.
They have a walking foot and electronic startup features that will punch through the first couple of stitches without running away.
or PFAFF 2545 PLUS
Old 28-05-2021, 09:20   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffel View Post
I looked at those and some similar Pfaff models with the integrated walking foot but what turned me off to them is that the maximum stitch length appears to be only 4mm. Granted it's only 5mm on the 130 but still.

Are they really that much larger? It's always hard for me to tell from pictures.
unimacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 09:45   #37

Boat: Maxi87 29' sailboat

Anyone knows of the swiss Bernina 117K machine ?
Is it good for sails, and clews too ?
carstendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 10:21   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post

Jim Grant and his wife were the founders of Sailrite.
That is a Paff 130 on the cover, isn't it.

That's a Singer. Probably a W2 Zig Zag machine. I have a W2 and a W2.
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 10:36   #39

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9111 View Post
That's a Singer. Probably a W2 Zig Zag machine. I have a W2 and a W2.
But which Singer xxx-W2? Seems like that is a common part of a part number for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pfaff130_singer143.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	239342   Click image for larger version

Name:	singerw2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	239343  

Old 28-05-2021, 11:00   #40

Sorry.. 143 W2, or 143 W3

One of the cool things about the 143 series is that you can remove the hand wheel and fit a standard V belt pulley to the machine or larger diameter, so the machine runs slower. I have one setup like that. Its not a walking foot machine, but it works.

FYI - that machine doesn't have reverse. Which is not that big of a deal once you get used to it.
Old 28-05-2021, 11:14   #41

Going back to the Pfaff 130 vs 230 issue...

Regarding Pfaff Machines.... As it has already been said, the 130 and the 230 have cosmetic differences. They updated the 130 to become the 230 to make it "look" like a newer machine. They used colored coatings rather than black, etc. Mechanically they are very similar. The same style belt, which can be hard to get, but oftentimes lasts for years anyway. (Some in Europe are making them again).

So it really shouldnt be a choice between the 130 and the 230. Its really a choice between the 130/230 and everything else.

An ideal machine for doing repairs on sails is an industrial walking foot zig zag. ($$$) Everything else is a compromise.

Sailrite sells (or sold) such a machine and I think they are $3000+ dollars the last time I checked. The long arm version was about $5000.

You need to ask yourself; Do you want a portable machine or a stationary machine? Do you have a place for an industrial machine?
Are you going to repair sails and things or make entire sails, etc.

If you don't have room for a stationary industrial, then you are limited to heavier portable consumer machines. I don't know if you have picked up a Pfaff 130 or 230, but they are not "light" machines.
If you are of limited strength, it won't be portable!

If you read all of the "how to make sails" books, you will find that zig zag is required for light nylon sails like Spinakers. For rigid dacron sails, two or three rows of straight stitches can work.

For me, the biggest difference in machines is walking foot vs non walking foot. If you are doing more than simple repairs on heavier fabrics, you will want a walking foot.

Once you have spent 20+ hours on a sewing machine that is a known compromise, you will be checking the credit limit on your credit card for a new machine! Fabric isn't cheap, sails aren't cheap, and good machines aren't cheap.

That said, if you keep your eyes on the adds, Craigslist, Facebook, Ebay, etc you can oftentimes pickup a machine at a bargain price. But great patience is required.
Old 28-05-2021, 12:33   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9111 View Post
Going back to the Pfaff 130 vs 230 issue...

Regarding Pfaff Machines.... As it has already been said, the 130 and the 230 have cosmetic differences. They updated the 130 to become the 230 to make it "look" like a newer machine. They used colored coatings rather than black, etc. Mechanically they are very similar. The same style belt, which can be hard to get, but oftentimes lasts for years anyway. (Some in Europe are making them again).

So it really shouldnt be a choice between the 130 and the 230. Its really a choice between the 130/230 and everything else.

An ideal machine for doing repairs on sails is an industrial walking foot zig zag. ($$$) Everything else is a compromise.

Sailrite sells (or sold) such a machine and I think they are $3000+ dollars the last time I checked. The long arm version was about $5000.

You need to ask yourself; Do you want a portable machine or a stationary machine? Do you have a place for an industrial machine?
Are you going to repair sails and things or make entire sails, etc.

If you don't have room for a stationary industrial, then you are limited to heavier portable consumer machines. I don't know if you have picked up a Pfaff 130 or 230, but they are not "light" machines.
If you are of limited strength, it won't be portable!

If you read all of the "how to make sails" books, you will find that zig zag is required for light nylon sails like Spinakers. For rigid dacron sails, two or three rows of straight stitches can work.

For me, the biggest difference in machines is walking foot vs non walking foot. If you are doing more than simple repairs on heavier fabrics, you will want a walking foot.

Once you have spent 20+ hours on a sewing machine that is a known compromise, you will be checking the credit limit on your credit card for a new machine! Fabric isn't cheap, sails aren't cheap, and good machines aren't cheap.

That said, if you keep your eyes on the adds, Craigslist, Facebook, Ebay, etc you can oftentimes pickup a machine at a bargain price. But great patience is required.
Oh, I can completely understand that if you've invested the money in quality materials for a new sail you aren't going to want to screw it up by going cheap on the machine. But I won't be making sails. I'll be repairing them on occasion and doing things like adding a leech line to my jib. I've already done the main.

I also be making cushions and the occasional do-dad out of Sunbrella like the tiller cover I made last month. I struggled last year with my wife's modern Janome making a headsail bag. I managed but there was some cussing.

The old Kenmore I found didn't have any trouble with the leech line but I want longer stitches.

So I think the Pfaff will fit the bill and the money I made fixing up the 3 sewing machines I picked up for free in the last year will more than cover the cost.

We'll see what the Viking goes for. Maybe if I fixed about 10 of those I can buy a Sailrite.
Old 28-05-2021, 12:33   #43

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

There's a place out here in LA, zamirsew.net, that sells the 9" throat Chinese zigzag walking foot machine that sailrite is based on, for only $410 + $30 shipping (probably + tax ). So for less than 500 bucks you can get a genuine wide throat long stitch machine that accepts Sailrite accessories. So stop ruminating about a machine that might get the job done, maybe, and get something real.
I just called them, and they're in stock.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 12:36   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
There's a place out here in LA, zamirsew.net, that sells the 9" throat Chinese zigzag walking foot machine that sailrite is based on, for only $410 + $30 shipping (probably + tax ). So for less than 500 bucks you can get a genuine wide throat long stitch machine that accepts Sailtite accessories. So stop ruminating about a machine that might get the job done, maybe, and get something real.
I just called them, and they're in stock.
I've read some pretty mixed reviews on those Chinese Sailrite look-alikes.
Old 28-05-2021, 12:51   #45

Boat: Cal 2-46

https://www.amazon.com/Rex/b/ref=bl_...browse-bin=Rex

We have one of these. About half the price of the equivalent Sailrite.
Done multiple covers and heavy repairs around the boat. Just finished a heavy duty RIB dinghy cover.
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote