Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2021, 13:06   #46

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Pfaff 130 - what make's them so popular?

The family sew from Zamirsew is the 9" throat version, makes a big difference on large projects.
I'm thinking about getting one to replace my -straight stitch only- version so I can do sail repairs
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 14:06   #47

Thanks everyone for the information and sharing your experiences. For right now at least I'm going to see what I can do with the Pfaff 130.

There are the projects I'm thinking about and then there's the projects I'll actually attempt. If I end up doing a lot of sewing and the Pfaff 130 isn't cutting it, then I'll look at a Sailrite or a Chinese equivalent.
unimacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 14:07   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
The family sew from Zamirsew is the 9" throat version, makes a big difference on large projects.
I'm thinking about getting one to replace my -straight stitch only- version so I can do sail repairs
Chinese sailrite 9 inch machine is 250-300$ + shipping
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...364518713.html
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 07:29   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
I have a PFAFF 1222 which has a walking foot. Good for most Sunbrella work, sometimes need a little help if there are 6+ layers.
I use an Adler A1 which is very strong but sometimes slips because is has no walking foot.

Which other sewing machine beside the above mentioned PFAFF 1222 and Sailrite has a walking foot?
Epikur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 16:32   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimacs View Post
I've noticed that these seem to be popular vintage sewing machines for those that haven't purchased a Sailrite or a true commercial/industrial sewing machine.

I've done a little sail repair and made some bits like a headsail bag out of Sunbrella and plan to do some more.

So far I've used my wife's Janome which really struggled, an old Husqvarna/Viking which is better but has some plastic parts I'm concerned about, and an old Kenmore which did pretty well but has a maximum stitch length of 4mm

From what I can see, one advantage the Pfaff 130 has is a bit longer stitch length and an external motor so it could be hooked up to something else, or used with a hand wheel.

But are there no other vintage sewing machines with these features? Or are there other features of the Pfaff that make them better for this kind of work? Pfaff 130s in decent condition aren't all that cheap.

Thanks in advance !
I think a walking foot is needed for heavy materials.
betwys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:03   #51

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44 Cutter

The reason the old Pfaff 130s are still around is the build quality. Very hard shafts, precision cut gears, heavy castings. Unlike many newer machines, the 130 can hold timing even after a hard needle to foot strike.

If you love the 130, and have a bit more space, I suggest the 138. It's a much better machine for sail repair and heavier jobs (deeper throat). The 138 is a commercial machine without an oil pump and sump, making mobile use possible. Drawbacks: very heavy weight, custom box needed, domestic size bobbins, no walking foot. I installed a 1/2 HP 90VDC motor on mine with a PWM drive. Will sew through anything that fits under the foot. Can usually find these under 300 bucks with some patience.

The pic is a commercial table mount and 138. This is the way it comes. Can junk the table and motor and install a mobile type motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	138 pfaff.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	239650  
svloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:10   #52
Marine Service Provider

my dual needle pfaff

Old 03-06-2021, 19:20   #53

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44 Cutter

[QUOTE=more;3419676]my dual needle pfaff

Nice find on your old machine.

That dual needle option is a bonus, as you have two upper thread tension devices. I ended up using both! Run them in serial (one after the other). Both set at light levels. The result is much smoother thread tension- less skipped stitches at high tension.
svloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 19:43   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
my dual needle pfaff
Very nice. Is that a 130-115? I think that's the model with the dual needle setup.

The 130 I ordered on Facebook Marketplace over a week ago still hasn't shipped. Seller informed me on Tuesday that she totaled her car, but that she could ship Wednesday. When that didn't happen, she said she'd ship today. Still no joy.

I'm about ready to cancel that order and start looking again.

Anyway, while I've been waiting I've been doing more research on them so that's why I was wondering if it's a 130-115. I've learned more about sewing machines in the last few weeks than I have in the previous 50 years.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:10   #55
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimacs View Post
Very nice. Is that a 130-115? I think that's the model with the dual needle setup.

The 130 I ordered on Facebook Marketplace over a week ago still hasn't shipped. Seller informed me on Tuesday that she totaled her car, but that she could ship Wednesday. When that didn't happen, she said she'd ship today. Still no joy.

I'm about ready to cancel that order and start looking again.

Anyway, while I've been waiting I've been doing more research on them so that's why I was wondering if it's a 130-115. I've learned more about sewing machines in the last few weeks than I have in the previous 50 years.
No this is Pfaff 130-14-115 i think difference from pfaff 130-115 is embodery an I order wrong needle this machine use 130B needle.

but needle holder has a place for 3 needles, I think dbx1 stay in middle point but not sure.
my needle holder (inside number 18????) screw is a little damaged with the previous owner,pain in the ass for proper adjustment. but now I learn need 15-minute first time 3 hour. if I find number 19 can use needle 134 2mm or NEEDLE 1738 A but this screw (differential screw) be very expensive to repair 1 side is normal screw in middle is a guide and the other size is reverse pitch. all on shrank. i don't touch this system for now work.

i have this clamp for 3 needle zig zag(who need this)
https://youtu.be/GzzGcnNJJoQ
Old 09-06-2021, 10:18   #56

So the seller of the 130 did finally ship it and it came on Monday. And let's just say that their definition of "works great" is different from mine.

Tension assembly was put together wrong, and I think it may have been done that way to compensate for the release pin that was stuck. The discs were oriented incorrectly and one part was missing altogether, - fortunately that was in the tin with the other accessories.

Feed dog drop was also stuck and so was the pressure foot adjustment. All easy enough fix but the most inconvenient thing is that there was no bobbin case. The seller might have it but given how long it took them to ship the machine in the first place I'm not going to bother with them. The bobbin cases are cheap enough so I just ordered another.

There are number of issues with the carrying case that I'll have to address but I don't care so much about that. I probably overpaid a bit considering the problems.

The good news is that the machine runs well and overall is in pretty good shape considering its age.

Since I've not been able to sew anything with it yet I can't say how suitable it is for what I want to do, but I do have some thoughts on my original question based on what I've seen.

I can see it being popular with sailers of years ago because it is a well built machine, relatively portable, can be set up to be powered by hand, not terribly expensive, easy to work on, lots of online resources, etc.

And though it's a bit smaller than I expected it could be used as a supplemental anchor in an emergency.
Old 09-06-2021, 14:08   #57

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I expected it could be used as a supplemental anchor in an emergency.
The drive belt will not like the salt water immersion!

Ann
Old 09-06-2021, 17:13   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The drive belt will not like the salt water immersion!

Ann
Note to self: Remove timing belt before using as anchor.
Old 09-06-2021, 19:54   #59

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You might just consider designing a roller case for it, useable as sewing table and trolley. Yes, you still have to hump it out of the locker. I actually used to stow mine, just under the V berth, where it couldn't move around, and used it for a step to help getting into the bunk. It had 2 purposes!

Ann