Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2018, 13:27   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Practical Vacuum Sealer for Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Damn… I just ate ground beef I dried and sealed in 2014. Tasted great. So far, I haven’t died. I’ll let you know if I do .
dare ye to try sushi fish ...,hahahahahahahahaha
is a fact of life folks with crappy handwashing habits and sloppy packaging
habits WILL encounter.
normal folks hahahaha what is normal anyway--- those with reasonable handwashing and reasonable packaging habits can avoid.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 13:33   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Reasonable handwashing?

Zee, hadn't you heard? Couple of years ago the UN (WHO?) and the AMA butted heads because each one said the other one is teaching the wrong way for washing hands??

That's part of why I insist southern fried chicken is health food. Nothing survives twenty minutes in boiling oil, that sucker is sterile!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 14:02   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

I have a run of the mill Seal-a-Meal brand unit. I've had it around 4 years at home and now 2 year on the boat. I buy wanteveer rolls of bags I can find and they have all worked.

BTW - of course fried chicken is health food, but you need to have a beer or wine with it
Old 22-08-2018, 15:34   #49
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Reasonable handwashing?

Zee, hadn't you heard? Couple of years ago the UN (WHO?) and the AMA butted heads because each one said the other one is teaching the wrong way for washing hands??

That's part of why I insist southern fried chicken is health food. Nothing survives twenty minutes in boiling oil, that sucker is sterile!
hell to the yes fried chicken is a health food. it seals well and is perfect for anything. reheat in oven or pan not in a micronuker which changes flavor to make even southern fried chikkin garbage.

neither ama nor un know how to wash hands. only nurses can do that.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:52   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFeat View Post
I used a simple system consisting of mason jars and a hand operated vacuum pump. The jars and lids can be reused.

The jar adapters (wide mouth and regular) and hose came from a thrift store Food Saver (re-donated the rest of the kit, )Tthe vacuum pump is a hand held device used to assist in the bleeding of hydraulic brakes and are available at most any auto parts/supply store.The hand operated pump will pull a vacuum down to 25" and keep food fresh for years. Been using this system for decades. Fast. Efficient. Cheap. Takes up little precious room and very easy to use. As a added benefit it helps increase hand grip strength.

Glass is a bit heavier, but will not leach 'god only knows what' chemicals into your food. In my 40 + years of cruising/ boat living i have not broken one jar.

I see how this could work with a limited number of items i.e. soup/sauces, but store my RW pump impellers individually in a Mason jar? Racor filters? A steak? Crackers, chips, etc?
hdsteele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cal