Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2021, 12:01   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Predictwind, and Iridium Go install

Interesting write up. I purchased an Iridium 9555 for my first crossing and that worked ok with zygrib but that was it essentially.

For my last one I went with the Go, no antenna. Flawless operation just sitting at my nav station inside. We also didn't have any significant problems with any of the apps. I bought it for $750 and sold it for $400 eight months later.

Yesterday my new Go arrived for our anticipated West to East Atlantic crossing in May. I haven't fired it up yet but expect no problems. It's going to be available for $500 in July if anyone is interested.

I have used the standard Predictwind package with departure and route planning. It's cool to see three or four boats sail to each of their weather forecasts and wish you were the fastest one. As you can enter the polar's for your boat, that is a benefit. If I don't hire a weather router I'll upgrade to the pro package in order to get current's. It would be nice to know how accurate the current data is before making that decision.
Old 29-04-2021, 10:08   #17

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

[QUOTE=manisland;3340420]I recently bought and installed a Predictwind Iridium Go system into my Lagoon 42, and thought it may be of interest to some.

I ended up choosing the Iridium Go after doing some uncharacteristically shallow research, but they seem to be a good choice according to the consensus I rooted out of the internet, and talk on the dock.
i.e. nobody I found had anything frightening to say.

===============================================
Hi
thank you very much for your very very helpful guidelines
Have a question and please bear with my ignorance.
Bought IridiumGo and installed 2019
with a subscription to Predictwind worked perfect for my needs.
Have the system inactive for all of the 2020 because the plague
Now going back to cruising in two weeks
1}just upgraded my Predictwind plan from free to a paid

question

on the IridiumGo,do I need a separated plan/subscription? for the IridiumGo?

I just draw a blank what I did in 2019!!!!
I thought was part of the Predictwind subscription.
If indeed I need a reactivation/new plan will need a new SIM card? right?
thank you very much
David
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 10:44   #18

finding some info
from Predictwind clarified my question, need two plans
one for the Predictwind and the other a subscription to an IridiumGo plan.
Just ordered the sim cards, now I understand why people are ticked off by having to get new sims if the phone was not active, $ 20 dollars for a set of two PLUS 26 for delivery/shipping costs!!! total $46
Oh well
we are yachties after all
cheers
Old 29-04-2021, 10:48   #19

also found on my old emails this tip might be of help to somebody?
looks like was having troubles
===============================

If you are having problems calling out from your Iridium Go and receive the message "This number is no longer in service" or see the number 698 inserted before the country code please check if Captain/Crew Calling has been turned on.

If 'Captain/Crew calling' has been turn on then regardless if you follow the correct dialing sequence, captain/crew calling changes the number and will give the voice recording that the number calling is no longer in service.

To turn off captain/crew calling go to the Iridium Go application > settings > Captain/Crew Calling and make sure it is disabled.

Please ensure that you dial using OO or + (it may depend on the phone).
Have you tried to send a text message to another phone? This is a great way to confirm the text feature and you will see your Iridium number on the other phone.
Old 03-05-2021, 13:38   #20

Boat: Lagoon 400

I hope to be returning to my boat in Barcelona in June.

I'm currently in the US. Does anyone know whether I should purchase the Predictwind/Iridium package here and take it with me or should I wait to pick one up after I get to Spain. (Wish me luck)

Charlie
cjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:15   #21

To add to this discussion -- we are also researching the Iridium Go!.

Regarding email and GRIB downloads, my current process via SSB is to use Winlink (RMS Express) and Sailmail to download GRIBs directly on my Windows laptop. This will work with the Iridum Go! (and also Iridium Satphone), though you do need a HAM license AND can't send/receive any email of commercial nature (e.g, request slip availability). One alternative is to subscribe to Saildocs at $275/year.

Alternately, with PredictWind,, you can use their Offshore app to download weather information. This requires a minimum of their "Basic" package at $29/year. I'm not really sure if their basic package is sufficient and may require their 'Standard' package at $249/year. Email is through the iOS or Android tablet apps. I don't really use my iPhone or iPad while on the boat.

My Windows laptop email can be done using the Iridium's X-Gate at $299/year.

I use two ways to view weather data: (1) OpenCPN and (2) qtvlm. I don't want to add another GRIB viewer (e.g., PredictWind's Offshore app). While navigating, I find it useful to show the current GRIB data along our route. BTW, qtvlm does a great job of weather routing based on your boat's polars and GRIB data. I often run various departure date routings to decide when best to leave, best wind conditions, etc.

What's stopping me from switching to the Iridium Go! is the limited choices for Windows PC based email, and not having yet another subscription (unlimited data @ $150/year, xGate/Saildcos @ $275/year....) Anyone know of a free Windows email client for the Iridium Go!?

I hope this adds to the discussion -- still researching the Iridium Go! options while patiently hoping Elon Musk's Starlink changes the game
Don
Capt.Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:45   #22

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
To add to this discussion -- we are also researching the Iridium Go!.

Regarding email and GRIB downloads, my current process via SSB is to use Winlink (RMS Express) and Sailmail to download GRIBs directly on my Windows laptop. This will work with the Iridum Go! (and also Iridium Satphone), though you do need a HAM license AND can't send/receive any email of commercial nature (e.g, request slip availability). One alternative is to subscribe to Saildocs at $275/year.

Alternately, with PredictWind,, you can use their Offshore app to download weather information. This requires a minimum of their "Basic" package at $29/year. I'm not really sure if their basic package is sufficient and may require their 'Standard' package at $249/year. Email is through the iOS or Android tablet apps. I don't really use my iPhone or iPad while on the boat.

My Windows laptop email can be done using the Iridium's X-Gate at $299/year.

I use two ways to view weather data: (1) OpenCPN and (2) qtvlm. I don't want to add another GRIB viewer (e.g., PredictWind's Offshore app). While navigating, I find it useful to show the current GRIB data along our route. BTW, qtvlm does a great job of weather routing based on your boat's polars and GRIB data. I often run various departure date routings to decide when best to leave, best wind conditions, etc.

What's stopping me from switching to the Iridium Go! is the limited choices for Windows PC based email, and not having yet another subscription (unlimited data @ $150/year, xGate/Saildcos @ $275/year....) Anyone know of a free Windows email client for the Iridium Go!?

I hope this adds to the discussion -- still researching the Iridium Go! options while patiently hoping Elon Musk's Starlink changes the game
Don
If you have a Sailmail subscription (note Saildocs is free) you can use their program, Airmail, to connect via SSB or IridiumGo. Airmail's Shadowmail feature allows you to acces your normal land emails as well as your Sailmail address.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:24   #23

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
One alternative is to subscribe to Saildocs at $275/year.

What's stopping me from switching to the Iridium Go! is the limited choices for Windows PC based email, and not having yet another subscription (unlimited data @ $150/year, xGate/Saildcos @ $275/year....)

Don
Just be clear/re-iterate:

SAILDOCS is FREE; no need to pay any subscription fee. "Internet services for the bandwidth-impaired". It is NOT a service that, by itself, provides access to email/internet. Provided by Sailmail, Saildocs is VERY useful for getting text weather, gribs, etc sent to your email (which may be internet, SSB/HAM or satellite based). http://www.saildocs.com/

SAILMAIL is a way to access email via marine SSB or various satellite services (and via internet). Currently costs US$275/yr. It is not HAM (Amateur) radio based; commercial email allowed (e.g., booking slips, ordering parts... or pizzas. Requires station license.
https://sailmail.com/

WINLINK Global Radio Email is a network of amateur radio and authorized government-licensed stations that provides worldwide radio email using radio pathways where the internet is not present. It is HAM (Amateur) radio based, is FREE, and does not allow emails of a commercial nature.
https://winlink.org/
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:38   #24

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
You can continue to use Winlink Express and your winlink email with the Iridium Go! Because you are not using HAM radio, the restrictions should not apply. Certainly, in the few years I have been using it, I have had no problems with commercial email, whereas friends of mine with SSB have had their hands slapped.

It is frustrating, because the Go! subscription comes with free email, but it only works on a phone or tablet. It sure would be simpler for them to just release a PC version.
Old 07-05-2021, 18:01   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
You can continue to use Winlink Express and your winlink email with the Iridium Go! Because you are not using HAM radio, the restrictions should not apply. Certainly, in the few years I have been using it, I have had no problems with commercial email, whereas friends of mine with SSB have had their hands slapped.

It is frustrating, because the Go! subscription comes with free email, but it only works on a phone or tablet. It sure would be simpler for them to just release a PC version.
That's incorrect. "...restrictions should not apply..." but they do....I emailed the guys at Winlink.org ---- emails via Iridium Go! are subject to the same restrictions as on the HAM/SSB Pactor modem. A Winlink message is the same whether sent via Iridium Go! or SSB. Keep in mind, it is their network handling the traffic, so their rules......................No joy!

I boils down to $275 for Sailmail subscription or $299 for XGate. I'm still thinking about a free Windows based email.

Don
Capt.Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:41   #26

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
finding some info
from Predictwind clarified my question, need two plans
one for the Predictwind and the other a subscription to an IridiumGo plan.
Just ordered the sim cards, now I understand why people are ticked off by having to get new sims if the phone was not active, $ 20 dollars for a set of two PLUS 26 for delivery/shipping costs!!! total $46
Oh well
we are yachties after all
cheers
If you are using the Go seasonally having some spare SIM cards on had is key. There are promotions occasionally where you can get them with free shipping, etc. I have SIM cards on hand from PredictWind, SatPhoneStore and Pivotel. Their service plans differ. I usually go with PredictWind, but if another fits my needs better for a particular season/trip then I have the option to use a different vendor.

You do not need to use a PredictWind Iridium service plan for the Iridium service to use the PredictWind weather service.
dougweibel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:37   #27

Boat: Freya double ender 40 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradrockrat View Post
This post is super timely as we are thinking of pulling the trigger on this exact package.

The main difference between the professional predictwind and the Standard seems to be tidal/current info and some extra models. Is that really worth the extra fee?

Thanks
Sometimes I am uncertain about posts that seem like as advert. It possibly is that good....

Tags
iridium, wind