Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2014, 11:05   #16

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Product review DIYWatermakers.com AC Series Waterpro AC 30 watermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
If you make your purchasing decisions based on your wallet in the Marine world, you're gonna get bit on the arse sooner or later.
I wondered how those teeth marks got there.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 11:34   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I wondered how those teeth marks got there.

Don't feel too bad, I carry a few backside scars as reminders myself.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 11:39   #18

In fairness to others who might sell water maker kits, Tellie sells complete watermakers, not kits. I knew I was buying a kit, not a complete watermaker, tested and proven. I have bought a lot of kits in my life some were great and some were not so good. The one thing they all had in common was that the pieces were all fit for purpose from a design point of view. I have occasionally experienced missing parts from all kinds "some assembly reqiuired" boxed items. This is not the end of the world, unless of course it's Christmas eve and you are trying to have an assembled toy before the kids wake up. Usually one just calls the customer service number and someone sends you the missing part. I have even had kits that contained defective parts. Again not the end of the world. I have never ordered a kit before that contained parts that even if working properly were not capable of fulfilling their purpose. That is the difference between a kit and a scam.
Old 17-03-2014, 13:24   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

This email was sent out this morning by a former DIYWatermaker.com dealer. In keeping with Bill's approach of not dragging innocent dealers into the discussion, I have removed the dealer name and info and replaced it with XXX. I believe this was the same vendor that Bill reported seeing the DIY unit on display at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show Booth. Having personal knowledge of other such disasters similar to those reported by Bill, there is really no way of knowing if Bill’s product review resulted in this dealer calling it quits or if it was the straw that broke the proverbial camel’s back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Email
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2014 8:01 AM
To: XXX.com
Subject: Important Notice from XXX

To All Concerned

Please be advised that XXX has severed all dealer and distribution agreements with Raymond Fosdick, DIY Watermakers, raggedSphere and/or its affiliates. XXX will no longer sell, market or represent for sale any product manufactured by DIY Watermakers, ragged Sphere and/or its affiliates.

This action is being taken in response to recent complaints from customers of misrepresentation(s) by DIY Watermakers and more importantly a failure to support and honor warranty issues in a timely and professional manner.

We regret these actions but feel they are necessary to preserve and protect the reputation and integrity of the XXX brand.

Best Regards,
XXX
Director, Sales & Marketing
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 14:28   #20

Boat: csy 37

captain bill - thanks for the heads up, sorry you had to go through all that crap, glad that it's over.

tellie and s/v third day - i'm thinking of installing a small watermaker. would have to be 12 volts, on the lower end of the amp scale (20 amps?), and at least moderate output - say three to five gallons an hour. being modular would help me by spreading out the installation. is there such a thing and what would it cost?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 14:42   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Looking for a 12v, 4-5GPH-ish output...heck a Spectra Ventura 150 is exactly what you describe and it lists the amp usage as 9A. As a Spectra expert (not just a dealer, but a real expert), Tellie can give you tons of great advice and info on the Ventura 150. I'm a high output 120v guy...so 12v water makers are not my area of expertise. But I know that if I ever want a 12v water maker for my own boat, Spectra would be the way I would go.

Spectra Watermakers - Marine Watermakers - Ventura 150/200T
Old 17-03-2014, 14:54   #22

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Thanks for sharing, we were considering a DIYwatermaker.com watermaker, but probably won't be now.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 15:18   #23

Boat: csy 37

s/v third day - thanks! that sounds pretty much like what i would need. i've also heard good things about spectra.

out of curiosity i went to the diy website. it's apparently not operational....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 07:59   #24

Capt Bill, this is spot on, and I feel your pain. I ordered the same system from DIYwatermakers.com back in October and have had the same problems: poor packaging, missing parts, dropped balls, delays, and some bizarre excuse at every turn. I too got the wrong pump, and what little water I get out of the system is 1600 ppm TDS (you want < 100) due to internal leaking. The vendor now refuses to take my calls nor return my emails (although he takes my feedback off his Facebook page within minutes), so I too am pursuing a complete refund and return through my credit card. This may be the most unsatisfactory purchase I have ever engaged in. Anyone who orders from DIYwatermakers.com after reading this deserves whatever they get. At best, they will get a bunch of bargain basement parts that will be rusted junk in six months or less. Cheers!
Bendecida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 11:17   #25

Sooo Sorry Captain Bill!!!! What a nightmare! Impressed with your sticktoitness!!
I too purchased a DIY Watermaker in 2013. A 10 gal /HR SYSTEM HOWEVER. delt with the owner Raymond exclusively.
I installed without to many problems. Had to supply a few different parts myself to complete the system. Had a problem with the pump initially but RAYMOND, the owner, DIY expedited the replacement pump.
System ran for a season without a hitch, until now the SS high pressure hose flared fittings are starting to leak badly. I have been trying to get replacement hoses for about 2 months. Phone numbers disconnected and Emails returned ocasionally. At this time I question whether they are still in business??? I did talk to Raymond and ordered the hoses and he advised me that they would be shipping in a week. That was 2 months ago!
emitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 11:46   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by emitchell View Post
Sooo Sorry Captain Bill!!!! What a nightmare! Impressed with your sticktoitness!!
I too purchased a DIY Watermaker in 2013. A 10 gal /HR SYSTEM HOWEVER. delt with the owner Raymond exclusively.
I installed without to many problems. Had to supply a few different parts myself to complete the system. Had a problem with the pump initially but RAYMOND, the owner, DIY expedited the replacement pump.
System ran for a season without a hitch, until now the SS high pressure hose flared fittings are starting to leak badly. I have been trying to get replacement hoses for about 2 months. Phone numbers disconnected and Emails returned ocasionally. At this time I question whether they are still in business??? I did talk to Raymond and ordered the hoses and he advised me that they would be shipping in a week. That was 2 months ago!

Do you know for sure it's the hose side that's leaking and not the fitting side. The 6JICx1/4NPT fittings he supplied me were not stainless steel. I suspect they would not have lasted long in a high pressure saltwater environment as evidenced by the rust stains in my outlet hoses. If it is the hose side, I've been looking around the web and came across a site that sells off the shelf 3 foot hoses. They are available with a variety of end fittings and the company has a good reputation. You may be better off buying one of those rather than waiting for DIY.
Old 18-04-2014, 11:59   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

I've met more than one person that had a similar experience with DIYWatermakers.

I installed a CruisersRO system and it just works. The company has some of the best customer service I have dealt with in the marine industry; installation questions not product problems. I highly recommend them for an AC system.
Old 18-04-2014, 19:03   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Isn't that our 3rd Day guy? I just looked over his website- some sharp installs. I get this feeling that an air conditioning/watermaker/new refrigeration is in my future as the Admiral likes a snappy install! (sigh) At least I already have the Honda generator.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 19:36   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Isn't that our 3rd Day guy?.
"3rd Day Guy"....heck I've been called worse and somtimes by my own wife...

But seriously, for any cruiser that is having problems and needs help with their DIY Watermakers, just give me a call/email 7 days a week.

Rich@cruiserowater.com
Cell: 619-609-3432
Old 19-04-2014, 06:39   #30

Captain Bill
Thanks Bill
I guess I wasn't to clear. Hoses are leaking at the flare fittings. The flare fittings hose end and threaded fitting are both SS that were shipped to me. I think it is the flare connection that is the problem not where the SS hose is fitted to the SS flare fitting. Can't tighten them anymore tighter and they still leak. Observation of the male/female flared ends does not show any imperfections to the naked eye. I am going to buy NEW SS hoses and fittings from someone else. Any suggestions on who to get them from.
Thx.
Ev
Ev
emitchell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker