Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 03:58   #16

Boat: Morgan 383
Re: Propane Tank Storage

Here is a site that has good info on propane cylinders and how they work: Propane OPD - Overfill Prevention Device Cylinder Valves

I think it answers most of the above questions as well as straightening out some of the incorrect information given here. I'm being a bit critical as propane is very dangerous in enclosed spaces like a boat.
Dale Hedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:15   #17

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Hedtke View Post
Here is a site that has good info on propane cylinders and how they work: Propane OPD - Overfill Prevention Device Cylinder Valves

I think it answers most of the above questions as well as straightening out some of the incorrect information given here. I'm being a bit critical as propane is very dangerous in enclosed spaces like a boat.
Dude...that's NOT being critical! That's supplying facts! While I know what the OPD does, I never knew how, and now I see a pic and it makes sense! Thanks for that link!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:22   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: propane tank storage

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Raider Curt.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:15   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: propane tank storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Curt View Post
I know, I know. I'm a newbie with the answer, lol. The tube on the inside is angled upward so that it doesn't pick up liquid. Guess who is a forklift tech.
Oooooh Ooooooh!

So Mr. Raider... So what's the best fork length??? Deep or Shoal picking??? How 'bout mast height??? What are the advantages and disadvantages??? Do you like all your ballast in the stern, and can you have too much???

Welcome to CF bud... Hope you're finding what you're looking for!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:41   #20

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post

Oooooh Ooooooh!

So Mr. Raider... So what's the best fork length??? Deep or Shoal picking??? How 'bout mast height??? What are the advantages and disadvantages??? Do you like all your ballast in the stern, and can you have too much???

Welcome to CF bud... Hope you're finding what you're looking for!
Your comments are confusing to me I guess I don't understand the humor if that's what it is. Raider is correct in stating the difference between a horizontal tank and vertical tank is how the inlet inside the tank is arranged. And for people that think that the new safety valve will prevent liquid propane from coming out this is incorrect. When you turn the tank upside down the float opens the valve. the valve is only to prevent over filling when the tank is up right.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 20:17   #21

Boat: 1982 Morgan 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Your comments are confusing to me I guess I don't understand the humor if that's what it is. Raider is correct in stating the difference between a horizontal tank and vertical tank is how the inlet inside the tank is arranged. And for people that think that the new safety valve will prevent liquid propane from coming out this is incorrect. When you turn the tank upside down the float opens the valve. the valve is only to prevent over filling when the tank is up right.
Obviously, HappyMDsailor knows forklifts also. The jokes are more apparrent to a forklift guy.
Raider Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 20:50   #22

Boat: islandpacket

I'm wrong on alot of other stuff also.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:05   #23

Quote:
Obviously, HappyMDsailor knows forklifts also. The jokes are more apparrent to a forklift guy.
Well I knew they were in reference to forklifts just seemed a little harsh to me. But that's the thing about texting it's really hard to tell the tone.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:48   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
See below... Raider nailed it... I was lightening the mood, and also letting a new guy from NC know that his intimate knowledge already improved CF... PLUS... he has a Morgan too....

Quote:
One of my many occupations in a rather storied career... Champ/Hyster/Yale/Clark...

Quote:
Well I knew they were in reference to forklifts just seemed a little harsh to me. But that's the thing about texting it's really hard to tell the tone.
If ya see a post from me, assume it's either very relevant helpful information gained through a lifetime of boating... OR... More likely a totally unrelated off topic and poorly executed attempt at humor.... I don't do critical, condescending, or insulting.... Life is WAY TOO SHORT...

Old 03-03-2014, 06:34   #25

Happymdrsailor. I have read your posts: and they are usually very informative. I was just sticking up for someone who posted good information. Thanks for clarifying. I usually get dry humor. My bad
Old 03-03-2014, 07:21   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Happymdrsailor. I have read your posts: and they are usually very informative. I was just sticking up for someone who posted good information. Thanks for clarifying. I usually get dry humor. My bad
Not a worry friend!

As is the case happening more often than not.... I have this one brain cell that "THINKS" it's funny.... even though nobody nor myself actually gets the humor....

I posted something just today for the OBX crab that neither of us really understood ....

Old 03-03-2014, 07:49   #27

I am still confused , the original poster said " storage " , why do you assume that he meant "use ". Kinda a big difference . Where did he go any how ?
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:56   #28

Also , it is kinda common in third world to fill tanks from tanks . Myself I have hung 100 lb tanks in a tree and flowed the liquid gas into ten and twenty lb tanks . Many small islands will not fill alum. tanks so several sailors might rent/buy a large one and fill all in boating community .
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:10   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"I am still confused , the original poster said " storage " , why do you assume that he meant "use ". Kinda a big difference"

Actually not. Tanks should be stored in the same orientation they are meant to be used in. That keeps the over pressure valve pointed in the right direction.

Tags
propane, storage