Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2017, 12:35   #1

Boat: C & C Landfall 35
Quantum 99

I am considering Quantum 99 paint for the deck on my C & C Landfall 35 (1984 vintage). Does anyone have experience with this product that the would be willing to share?
Sunday Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 15:04   #2

Boat: Luders 36
Re: Quantum 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday Driver View Post
I am considering Quantum 99 paint for the deck on my C & C Landfall 35 (1984 vintage). Does anyone have experience with this product that the would be willing to share?

We used it on our coach house and cockpit this winter. Pretty impressed with the results, although only one summer in (albeit Florida), can’t yet comment on longevity.

Our first experience with two part paint, and imagine similar teething problems that anyone would have experimenting with correct amounts of reducer to get proper flow. We rolled and tipped and it looks good.

Grate in cockpit so we did not use any non-skid, so also can’t comment on how it would work with that.
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 17:10   #3

Boat: C & C Landfall 35

Thanks, Jman. Glad to hear you got a good result. Did you do extensive prep work?
Sunday Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 17:19   #4

Boat: Luders 36

Extreme would be a better word. But boat is 1968. Many past poor repairs, voids in layup, etc.
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:59   #5

Boat: 40' Maine Cat

Experienced contractor with 15yrs experience sprayed it on my 40’ catamaran. The Q99 topcoat adhered well to the existing 2 part paint and looked great however it peeled off the Q45 epoxy primer. I contacted Jon and Sarah at EMC and they said the paint was good, we must have done something wrong. Repeated the process under varied conditions without success. When I sent a video of Q99 topcoat peeling off a test patch of primer the only comment was “Why is your primer yellow and not white, which is what you ordered?” I sent them photos of the Q45 epoxy primer and activator cans, which matched the cured primer on the boat – exact same color, a cream yellow-not white like the can said. I explained that was the product I received and we followed the simple 1:1 mix. They stopped communicating with me despite my repeated attempts. I conceded to the fact that they were not willing to help. Having completely lost faith in both the company and the product I proceeded to strip all of the Q99 paint, re-prime and repaint the boat with another product.
I made one more attempt at recovering some cost of the failed paint system by writing to Jon Boswell (owner of EMC) and requesting a refund on the ~$3000 worth of failed product. I told Boswell that I would write a review reflecting my experience in dealing with them if they did not refund the cost of paint. Fortunately I copied Jamestown Distributors who immediately got involved. Boswell in turn responded stating his insurance company would contact me – never happened. I put a deadline on my review and he offered to help me out with $1000. After 4 months of the run around I chose to warn my fellow boaters instead of taking the money. BEWARE they will not stand by their product.
jdaltonpe is offline   Reply With Quote