Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 11:46   #16

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Raymarine Evolution EV-100 Wheel Autopilot review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebristol View Post
I have an old Wheel Pilot. Has to be at least ten years old. I found it a true pain to install, largely because of the rudder sensor. There is no room in the butt end of a B32.
Also, the wire connections to the central brain are so flimsy as to be ridiculous. I reattach them every year, sometimes stripping those that have obviously degraded.

With that out of the way, it has performed flawlessly. A bit of a power hog, but it works great! When it breaks (which it soon will) I will replace it with another.

Two things; it needs that rudder sensor. I know the new ones claim not to need it, but I don't believe it. The old ones simply don't work without it.
My B32 ways about 11,000 pounds fully loaded, and that is about right for this pilot. Putting it on anything twice is heavy is just asking for trouble. JMHO

Our ST4000 is starting to fail at the control. If I can't get it working again we will need a new AP. My current AP has only 22 ft-lbs of torque. The formula for rudder torque using the B32 rudder is 24 ft-lbs are needed, this is underpowered for heavys seas and high winds. What is your experience with your RM wheelpilot? Thanks!
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:17   #17

Boat: Com-Pac 27, Com-Pac 23D

I found the squeaking came from the poly belt, not the rollers or from being out of adjustment. I’ve since replaced the poly belt with this:

https://westcoastbelts.com/product/h...000-mk2-875mm/

After more than two years it continues to work better than new on my boat. It frequently struggles sailing downwind, and I did not install a rudder position sensor.
Topsailb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:24   #18

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

What the EV 100 wheelpilot excels at is making minor adjustments to hold your course so you can be off doing other things.

This means you need a well-balanced sailboat. If steering your boat is a wrestling match, the EV 100 won't work well and probably won't last for years.

I used to have a long-keeled Bristol 30 that got cranky whenever the mainsail wasn't set perfectly. In anything over about 12 knots, the ST 1000 would be working overtime to try to hold a course.

My current boat, a Catalina 320, is perfectly balanced. Most of the time, the king spoke on the wheel is straight up or indicating a touch of weather helm.

It will sail fairly straight without an AP at all. The EV 100 keeps me from having to return to the wheel to make the minor adjustments to hold my course.

Over about 20 knots, in bouncier seas, it does get more of a workout. Sometimes, I just have to take the wheel when the conditions are wrong. But that's a good idea anyway when the wind and seas are kicking up.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, marine, raymarine, reviews, wheel