Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2018, 09:50   #16

Boat: CS 36 Canadian Sailcraft
Thumbs up Re: Recommend me dinghies please

Walker Bay 8 foot rigid with the inflatable tube around it you can get for about 650 $--both worlds in one boat.
Bill Youmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 10:13   #17

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch
Re: Recommend me dinghies please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Youmans View Post
Walker Bay 8 foot rigid with the inflatable tube around it you can get for about 650 $--both worlds in one boat.

That rigid inflatable actually seems like a great option. Thank you.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 10:24   #18

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I don't really get the Walker Bay one though. As a hard dinghy I can understand it, but as a rib (once you buy the tubes) it makes no sense. It's already over 30kg, add the tubes and it's 40kg.

A standard lightweight single skin aluminium rib in the same size from 3D Tender is 25kg or Heighfield 30kg.

Of course the Walker Bay does have flexibility on its side though, especially if you buy the sailkit
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 10:45   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Awesome. Will take a look. Thanks Ken.
We used one on the 62 last season along with a 15hp Mercury 2 stoke, and will use it again in 2019 until we get to our Highfield in Italy. Since the HydroForce folds up, we’ll probably hang onto it to keep as a second dinghy.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 11:37   #20

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
The issue I have with non-inflatables is that I don't have davits and so I've had them sink on me when towing under sail... it's no fun having to winch up a sunk dinghy... Thanks though.
Well you did imply that you wanted to steer away from deflateables and go to a traditional hard bottom dinghy.

Personally I didn't consider another type of deflateable a traditional type of dinghy.
Also, in all my years on the water I have never heard of a tinny sink while towing, at least not if set up properly.

Add these
Turn the tinny into an inflateable without the deflate

http://boatcollar.com.au
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 11:45   #21

If I were towing, I would be looking at Aluminum Ribs.

Fiberglass ribs use a through-bolted pad-eye with a small backing plate.

Aluminum welds the padeye to the hull. The padeye and connection are much beefier than the fiberglass. It looks more like what yachts use to tow their tenders.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 12:36   #22

Quote:
That rigid inflatable actually seems like a great option. Thank you.

I just looked at this again and it's $749 for the boat and $649 for the PVC tube kit. Thought the whole shebang was $749 when I first looked, which would be an amazing deal. Still a good deal at $1400, but yes weight will be an issue with this thing.
Old 14-11-2018, 12:41   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Well you did imply that you wanted to steer away from deflateables and go to a traditional hard bottom dinghy.

Personally I didn't consider another type of deflateable a traditional type of dinghy.
Also, in all my years on the water I have never heard of a tinny sink while towing, at least not if set up properly.

Add these
Turn the tinny into an inflateable without the deflate

Kapten Boat Collars - the best stability & performance-aid for small boats

Thanks Simi. I've been known to be the first to do a few things.

My other issue with hard dinks is they've nicked up my boat in the past. I like to tie my dink to my starboard side when at anchor because I don't have a swim platform and that's where the lifeline gates are.
Old 14-11-2018, 12:56   #24

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Another thing is load. The Walker Bay max payload is 186kg. One male adult is going to be close to 80kg. Add a wife possibly (60kg), and the dogs 22kg and 16kg and that doesn't give you much breathing room.

In comparison an RIB is likely have a max payload of around 450kg and an inflatable with airfloor of 550kg.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 13:08   #25

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

This is what we use in the Land of Oz. They are VERY popular once they came on the market--cost less than a quality inflatable, almost as stable as the fat 3M Zodiac, and unlike the Zodiac rows like a dream, and some of them are ten years old and still look like new.

Foam filled they are as a life-preserving device accepted by SOLAS. In that they are unique.

If you can not get one of these--try for an American equivalent. Unlike the one in the video--mine is safety yellow in colour. If I ever have to take to it in an emergency--I want to be as visible as possible from the air.

Before I bought mine--I had a Zodiac. It was made from PVC and I was NEVER happy with the constant parting of seams and the endless glueing. Eventually there was replacing of rotten transom wood. In the finish I replaced the entire floor and transom with honeycomb glass sandwich in a v-profile with twin keels for stable deck storage, making an RIB out of it--but it was heavy, although a far superior vessel than previously.

In the finish though--the leaks beat me and I cut it all up and dumped it.

The Polycraft on its trailer fully registered with a spare wheel all new cost me under five grand. The Polycraft was far less expensive a new high quality inflatable such as a Swift on its own. The fuel use fell by half--it is a nice stable hull easily driven hull--but tinnies have almost no stability if one stands on the gunwale to climb into one's parent vessel. Also--they have to have fenders or they will scratch you paint or damage your gel-coat.

If these are not available in the US--someone ought to get a license and build them. For the money there is nothing else that comes even close. Yews--they do look strange--but one soon falls in love with them. Mine has a Bimini on it--so I can fish in the shade. Try that on an inflatable.\

Mine is the heavy one which will take a 15 HP outboard--but there is now a lighter more easily lifted version for those without help to haul aboard--but it is limited to 6 HP outboards. The lighter one might be more suitable for davits. Mine was lashed down on the foredeck I never used more than a 3.5 hp Yamaha on mine anyway--so the lighter one would have served me well--it just was not being built when I bought mine some years ago.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 14:20   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Another thing is load. The Walker Bay max payload is 186kg. One male adult is going to be close to 80kg. Add a wife possibly (60kg), and the dogs 22kg and 16kg and that doesn't give you much breathing room.

In comparison an RIB is likely have a max payload of around 450kg and an inflatable with airfloor of 550kg.

Excellent point. Thank you.
Old 14-11-2018, 15:21   #27

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:

My other issue with hard dinks is they've nicked up my boat in the past.
That floatation collar I linked to is made of buoyancy foam.
It is in effect, a big fender just like on a inflatable but, without the deflatable glue and deflation problems
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 15:25   #28

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Hi all,

Looking for suggestions for new dinghy to replace the aging Takakat Lite that came with our boat. I would like a "traditional" dinghy this time with a hard floor.

About us:

- We are a cruising couple with two dogs (50 and 35 lbs)

- I normally tow the dink behind the mothership
- I have a 4hp Mercury outboard that I would like to continue to use
- Will spend up to $2000 if I need to, but would rather keep it $1500 or lower.

Thank you in advance for any input.
not in that price range but the portland pudgy will carry all of it and then some. maybe a used one will pop up. Will not fill with water when towing if plug is removed, it drains itself. good luck
Old 14-11-2018, 16:46   #29

Boat: Hunter 41 AC

I've had a Mercury 310 air floor dinghy for 11 years now. I think I paid around $1600.00 for it, and it is Hypalon. Came with a 10 year warranty. I bought it
because of a recommendation from Practical Sailor. It has performed flawlessly including a 8 month cruise to the Bahamas, and transporting a 85 pound golden retriever to shore multiple times a day. I'm looking for a RIB now for long term cruising, and will definitely consider another Mercury.
Foolish Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 18:39   #30
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I think you'd be paying three times as much as you'd need to pay for the same thing at Costco. HydroForce.

https://www.costco.com/Hydro-Force-M...100341175.html
A 138 lbs PVC dingy...?
Quote:
Net Weight: 137.79 lbs.
No thanks.

Tags
lease, men