Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2020, 12:11   #31

Boat: Viko S35 & S2 7.3
Re: Recommendations for a dehumidifier?

Make sure that you have a good ventilation with solar powered fan. At least you can use it when you cant run dehumidifier.
I have same problem like your: 100% humidity and growing mold. Problem was mostly solved after installing a solar powered fan. It is 60%-80% now.
Texasvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:44   #32

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasvlad View Post
Make sure that you have a good ventilation with solar powered fan. At least you can use it when you cant run dehumidifier.
I have same problem like your: 100% humidity and growing mold. Problem was mostly solved after installing a solar powered fan. It is 60%-80% now.
You are correct.

Step 1. Stop all leaks. Nothing else matters if water is still getting in. I think I have finally caught all the major leaks.

Step 2. Drain and dry areas with standing water or wood that is saturated with water (this is the hardest because some of it is encased in fiberglass. Wet wood core will keep supplying humidity to the cabin..

Step 3. Clean all areas with mold. Mold breeds more mold. Get rid of all mold or it will eventually take over again.

Step 4. Provide ventilation or air movement if not a dehumidifier. I am using a full-sized dehumidifier until the boat dies out completely. I made need to use a vacuum pump to suck water out of the core.

Now that my leaks are gone, the dehumidifier is doing a good job. My deck went from 60% moisture readings to 40% over the last month.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:11   #33

I agree and disagree with the digital dehumidifier it has its minuses but at the same time it is very easy to manage.
HarrisB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men