Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 15:12   #1

Scanmar AutoHelm

Hey everyone,

I can't find much info about the effectiveness of Scanmar AutoHelm units online. My 1976 sailboat has the mounting brackets for the AutoHelm (still made today). A friend gave me several pieces, but nothing for the rudder. I'm not sure if I should shell out the $2,600 for a new rudder, or if I should simply scrap this and start over with something else. I can't seem to find any online being sold by owners, there aren't really any part numbers to look up so it's a little tricky finding any info about them.

Things to note: I have a center cockpit, hydraulic steering, and bad weather helm so the options available for my boat are limited I think to Hydrovane and Cape Horn besides this one.

Visual: http://www.selfsteer.com/pdfs/Auto-helmManual.pdf (page 2)
Parts list: http://www.selfsteer.com/partsServic...helm/index.php

Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they work well enough, and is it worth buying a new rudder?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 3.11.01 PM.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	147510  
Old 04-06-2017, 17:21   #2

Boat: '78 Tartan 37
Re: Scanmar AutoHelm

Hi
This thread might be dated, but I'd be interested in talking to you about your auto helm parts. I have a rudder and mast needing mounting parts. Or if you're interested, perhaps you might purchase my rudder and mast with wind vane.
Brian
bridwise@aol.com
Ambergris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 15:00   #3

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

Hi Legally Ginger .WE are in the same way ,I want to reconstructed my old scanmar autopilot with parts or to buy a completely old new one .I can't find detailed plans like to constructed one from zero .
Regarding your question in my knowledge this autopilot made 2 times the round of globe .I guess that function well
Regards Hernan
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 15:11   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by surazo View Post
Hi Legally Ginger .WE are in the same way ,I want to reconstructed my old scanmar autopilot with parts or to buy a completely old new one .I can't find detailed plans like to constructed one from zero .
Regarding your question in my knowledge this autopilot made 2 times the round of globe .I guess that function well
Regards Hernan
Scanmar has excellent support, even for 2nd hand units. I suggest starting with them. They can advise on the feasibility of rebuild vs replace.
Old 02-01-2023, 15:15   #5

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

I think you need to ask yourselves why they are not used or popular anymore. Besides the rudder always behind you, can it be locked for reverse? Pretty sure it will go s track downwind. But yes, if you have it already, fix it, some self steering is better than none. Many boats have gone around the world without any autopilot whatsoever, I'm sure there's even some authelms still sailing out there.
I do prefer a servo pendulum turning the boats main rudder.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 15:19   #6

Thanks Windpilot .Can you recommended one that has been proved as an alternative to monitor or autohelm .Thanks Hernan
Old 02-01-2023, 17:03   #7

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

Well Hernan it sounds like you don't like scanner, lol. The monitor is good but like Airies and other old proven designs take up a lot of transom. Not sure where you are but Europeans have a few, I have Windpilot Pacific, there is Cape Horn but I dislike the underdeck quadrant connection. There are also some east European ones I see online that are good and actually very reasonable, compared to say a hydrovane at $7,000, which is more like the autohelm only.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 19:57   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW: Back in 1984-5 I designed and built a auxiliary rudder /trim tab wind vane for our old IOR one-tonner. It was based on the Autohelm, complete with the trim tab driven by push-pull wires in teflon tubes and a variable angle vane. We sailed that boat for a bit over 84000 miles and at least 50% of those miles, perhaps a bit more, were under wind vane control. On some points of sail and in some sea states we would sail the above mentioned "S" shaped course, but it would average the desired course quite well. And this was in a retired fin keel race boat, known to be a bit squirrely downwind.

IMO there is nothing wrong with the principle or the design of the Autohelm, and for wheel steered boats and those with center cockpits I think the advantages outweigh any deficits. The yaw response is not as immediate as that of a pendulum vane, but lacking the need for long control lines and micky-mouse "wheel adapters" kinda makes up for that.

I have missed having that vane ever since we sold the boat and bought our current ride.

Jim
Old 03-01-2023, 01:59   #9

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

I have a Scanmar Autohelm, but just the rudder and trim tab with some mounting hardware that I would be happy to sell.
Location is Tasmania.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211026_144016.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	269484
Old 03-01-2023, 06:21   #10

Thanks Jim and Windpilot .My boat is a Perry 47 ,ketch ,central cockpit and the Autohelm is perfect for my boat
Regards

Tags
autohelm, helm