Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2015, 09:58   #46
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: SF is Unbelievably Lame!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
I don't know why it is but swimming in the bay generally results in ear pains for the next couple days. I now do a quick douche of hydrogen peroxide and all is well.
I think some people are simply prone to ear infections. None of the many hull cleaners I know seem to have issues with it.

Quote:
Do you suffer from surfer ear because of the cold water?
No. Of course, the water is in the high-60°s to 70° range and has been most of the summer. But even in the winter, I experience no problems.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 10:12   #47

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Let it be known, San Francisco and the Bay Area really sux when it comes to boat parts and service!

If I would have tried to restored my boat here in the Bay Area, I would have given up. It is so hard to find even the simplest items here. It seems everything I want here is not in stock or just plane not available. I have to order everything on line or special order it thru the local marine supply. This is a list of just a few items I've had to order, which in the Seattle area I could have bought right off the shelf in, no more then, two different marine supplies.

5/8" SS wire thimbles
Interlux Brightsides yellow paint
#8 X 5/8" FH Philips SS wood screws
90 degree NMEA 2000 fitting
7/16" Crosby anchor shackles
Nautical chart of Hawaii
West system catalyst #207
#8 screw buss bars

I actually had better luck at a second-hand consignment store, the Blue Pelican.

And marine grade wood can only be found in bulk. You have to buy a whole plank and pay to have it cut, or cut it yourself. Nothing is precut. And there is only one place, in Berkley, to get it.

And the yards here will drag you across the coals. If you don't buy the paint from their store, at their high prices, they will charge you extra on your final yard bill.

So sailers beware.
You can find what you need in the Bay area but not in one place.

I travel far and wide, including online. We have built a close relationship with many of the key suppliers like Svendsens and Alan metals and my wood guy in Berkeley. That is the secret to getting what you need here an in fact most places.

The boat yards here are somewhat spoilt. Too much work from rich hands off customers results in a level of arrogance and less than stellar customer service. IMHO.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 13:56   #48

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
I would say the lamest part of SF bay is the dirty water that I get ear infections from when I try to go swimming in clipper cove.
I'm under my boat in the Clipper Cove harbor about every 4-5 weeks. Never had an ear infection. Have also dove in the estuary, Pillar Point Harbor, and now the reservoirs and other really nasty places where no one dives for fun. Still no problems. I agree with fstbttms, you are prone to ear infections. You might try swimmers ear drops that you can find in any CVS or Walgreens. You can make your own, but I like the buffering that they put in the commercial brands.

That bubbly feeling from hydrogen peroxide reminds me of those ear worms from Star Trek
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 14:05   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I'm under my boat in the Clipper Cove harbor about every 4-5 weeks. Never had an ear infection. Have also dove in the estuary, Pillar Point Harbor, and now the reservoirs and other really nasty places where no one dives for fun. Still no problems. I agree with fstbttms, you are prone to ear infections. You might try swimmers ear drops that you can find in any CVS or Walgreens. You can make your own, but I like the buffering that they put in the commercial brands.

That bubbly feeling from hydrogen peroxide reminds me of those ear worms from Star Trek
Maybe you're immune to ear infections because you spent so much time in 70 degree spring water.

Wish you hadn't mentioned ear worms. I may never be able to use peroxide again.

I switched from commercial ear drops to plain distilled vinegar. The commercial drops I found all had isopropyl alcohol that over dried my ears if I used it too often and actually promoted infections. Vinegar seemed a bit milder and the low pH also will knock out a mild infection without resorting to antibiotics.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 14:08   #50

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Even outside of this limited SF lake called the Bay, and SF sailing, SF as an area suks in general. It all around suks. Don't move here.
Same here! PNW totally sucks! Don't move here, you'll hate it...
Old 22-08-2015, 14:36   #51

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Same here! PNW totally sucks! Don't move here, you'll hate it...
If you're talking about Portland, I would agree, and it has nothing to do with boating. I spent 10 years of my youth there and got the hell out as soon as I was old enough. (No joking around)
Old 22-08-2015, 14:59   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Generally I would agree with SM that SF is not generally a sailing town/place. Though there does seem to be a few die-hards out there doing it.

But yes, it's cold and windy and the water is always wet. So best go else where. Myself, I moved Das Boot about 21 miles today. Not many boats out at all. But that was heading east a bit.

Oh it is very hard to find engine enamel in hot pink. Yes, I've looked.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 15:11   #53
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Ooh SailorChic34 you are an excepppption, so I salute you madly!

I hope it is a nicey nice place.

SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 15:15   #54

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
If you're talking about Portland, I would agree, and it has nothing to do with boating. I spent 10 years of my youth there and got the hell out as soon as I was old enough. (No joking around)
Old 22-08-2015, 15:21   #55

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Yes, boating in the San Francisco estuary sucks.

I hate it here!

Old 22-08-2015, 16:23   #56

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Let's be clear here. Del is a voracious consumer of boat parts. During the building of the Duck he single handedly consumed the entire PNW stock of high strength stainless steel fasteners. Entire container ships from China couldn't keep things in stock. During that time I was forced to special order bolts for my chain plates, it took 6 weeks!

Don't believe this nonsense about getting too old and can't take the rain and cold anymore...he sailed the Duck down the coast just like a Viking in search of plunder! Beware you Bay area sailors, he will deplete your parts too When he is done with California he will likely abscond to the PI with the spoils and set up a world wide monopoly on boat parts, just like a spider at the center of a vast web
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 19:27   #57

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I'm surprised you couldn't find the West Epoxy 207 hardener. Every West Marine store I've been to, even the small ones, had all the epoxies on the shelf.

Regardless, I feel no sympathy. I live in Florida and have to drive two hours just to get to a West Marine or any kind of marine store at all. If they don't sell it at Home Depot or Ace Hardware I have to order it. The UPS guy knows me well. I've ordered so much from Defender they're going to put my photo up on the wall.

Even if you're having trouble getting boat stuff, SF is a very cool town. You could broke down in some third world rat hole looking for parts and not even have a nice place to go out to dinner.
You have a West Marine you can drive to? How spoiled! We have to fly to one.
Old 22-08-2015, 19:52   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Let's be clear here. Del is a voracious consumer of boat parts. During the building of the Duck he single handedly consumed the entire PNW stock of high strength stainless steel fasteners. Entire container ships from China couldn't keep things in stock. During that time I was forced to special order bolts for my chain plates, it took 6 weeks!

Don't believe this nonsense about getting too old and can't take the rain and cold anymore...he sailed the Duck down the coast just like a Viking in search of plunder! Beware you Bay area sailors, he will deplete your parts too When he is done with California he will likely abscond to the PI with the spoils and set up a world wide monopoly on boat parts, just like a spider at the center of a vast web
You're a real pal, Scott.
Attached Images

Old 22-08-2015, 19:54   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
You have a West Marine you can drive to? How spoiled! We have to fly to one.
Couldn't you just sail over?
Old 22-08-2015, 20:29   #60

Boat: Chris-Craft Carribean 35'

Cant beat the view though....San Pablo Bay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150720_064721.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	107804  
Capt. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote