Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2020, 07:10   #1

Boat: Hunter 36
Solar powered cooler/freezer

Anyone used a product like these? How well did they work?

For most people I know, powering the fridge is the #1 reason to have solar panels on a boat. So why not cut out the middleman and be more efficient with solar power directly on your cooler? Makes sense to me. Some of these even have freezers. Here are a couple examples:

https://www.acopower.com/products/hy-x50a

https://odditymall.com/solar-powered-cooler-fridge
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 07:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Solar powered cooler/freezer

Great idea, if the sun always shone, but it doesn’t. So what do you do when it’s not up or it’s raining or overcast etc?

Besides both of your examples require external panels, so what’s the difference?

Then finally, what makes you think they are more efficient? My Cool Blue cold plate system cools and freezes ten times the volume of my Engle, and uses only about 50% more power, so it’s much more efficient, portables can’t be very efficient, because they can’t be well insulated, if they were they would be twice as big and hold half as much, and no one would buy them.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 07:21   #3

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Great idea, if the sun always shone, but it doesn’t. So what do you do when it’s not up or it’s raining or overcast etc?
Well they are insulated like regular coolers are, with a battery to run them when there is no sun out.

Quote:
Then finally, what makes you think they are more efficient?
With solar going directly to the unit instead of passing through other wiring, it's possible they are more efficient with their charging, plus easier to move the panels to optimally catch the sun. But their insulation is limited so I really don't know, that's why I was asking.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 14:22   #4

Seems like a solution looking for a problem.

It’s semantics on how it’s powered or how the energy is used. Compressor based cooling takes energy, seems simpler to use the power storage already in place.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer, solar