Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 17:13   #46

Boat: 1997 Sabre 362
I ordered the Speedseal Life last year just before the Iceland volcano shut down European air travel. After a couple of weeks it had not shown up & Alex shipped another no question, no additional charge. The original showed up eventually & I shipped back to him.
I give the screws a very light torque w/pliers.
Good customer service for me.
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 09:07   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabend View Post
Tom

I would suggest that why they removed the slot is irrelavent. The simple fact is they advertised the cover with a slot, and any buyer should be able to expect to get what was advertised. That is my "ruling".

The gentleman suggesting pump removal has a good point!
Reband

You have continued to vioice this and and other criticisms since 2008 when you were informed that the "slots" in the screws were not screwdriver slots but shallow markings originally intended to allow users to detect by feel the two screws which needed removing. The markings were discontinued after a few weeks into launch as it was thought that users might be confused.
The illustrations you found were from the product launch16 years ago.

Speedseal continue to refuse to supply hand screws modified with tool slots, but do welcome all constructive comments on which to base improvements like the new Speedseal Life.
alspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 09:22   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, alspeed.

May we presume that you are an official representative of Speedseal?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 15:46   #49

Speedseal

Alex (Speedseal),

Thanks for your forum reply. Per our previous email discussions I would like to reiterate the following:

1. In my application, having screws with slots would be quite helpful since I cannot access the screws from above or on the sides without removing hoses, which is very difficult and time consuming

2. Your advertisement photo clearly showed slotted screws at the time of my purchase and I justifiably expected to receive what you had advertised. Why and when you stopped putting slots in the screws is not relevant

3. After I raised the issue you removed the slots in your advertisement photo to eliminate future customer confusion

4. Since it might have been difficult for you to provide slotted screws, I offered to slot the screws myself if you would send me another set. I didn't want to slot the existing screws due to the down-time it would cause, but offered to send you back the original screws once I replaced them at my next impeller change.

5. Your response was that you would send me a new set of screws if I paid you $25.20, almost half the cost of the whole kit

In the interest of resolving this matter, I am willing to offer you $10.00 total, if you will send me a new set of screws. It is my hope we can agree on that and settle this issue to our mutual satisfaction. Thanks for your your consideration of this matter, and please let me know if my proposal will work for you.

Regards,

Bob
rabend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 07:43   #50

rabend

We will happily move on and sell you some screws and even a Speedseal Life upgrade kit ! But let's do it privately. If you e-mail us at safety@speedseal.com and give a number to call we will follow up quickly.

GordMay
Thanks for your kind welcome - I look forward to tuning-in to get some ideas.
alspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 19:02   #51

Speedseal

I spoke to Alex at Speedseal today and we reached agreement on them providing a new set of screws. I consider the arrangement fair and amicable. I am pleased the matter is resolved, and appreciate the forum participation. I find CruisersForum to be a great source of information, and have learned a lot from my participation.

Regards,

Bob
rabend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 06:00   #52

Boat: Stormwind 40 cutter rigged steel ketch
re: SpeedSeals

I ordered a Speedseal life about a month ago. It came from UK to Finland in just a few days, the shipment had evrything it was supposed to have, the cover was well made, and fitted very nicely with the water pump of my Volvo MD22L-A.

While ordering, I was unsure about the threads of the original screws. That was no problem for Alex. He simply sent me two set of screws and asked for the extra set to be returned. My conclusion: very good product and very good customer service.
Heikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 19:38   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

I just get time now to install the Speedseal life that I ordered a couple of month ago.
I followed the instructions word for word... put the O ring in place etc, but the pump is leaking water each time I start the engine.
What I've done wrong?
Engine is a Yanmar 3HMF
(By the way the screw are slotted as indicated in the pictures...!)
Old 26-02-2011, 20:31   #54

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
I too had speed seals on Nauticat when we bought the boat. They both leaked from day 1, in part because they have 4 screws vs. the 6 that come on the standard VP unit. They also had a very thin (IMHO) o-ring seal that was a pain to re-seat correctly.

Decent idea but not sure the executed product meets expectations.

Little vaselig on teh o-ring will keep it in place. after running a bit, retorque screws with fingers...
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:02   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

PROBLEM SOLVED !!
Alex from speedseal has been very helpful: he send me some suggestions by email and it works.
Recomendation: have the flange of the water pump">raw water pump absolutely clean of all remnants of gaskets and without scratches of any sort. A good sanding will solve problem and no more leaking.

Speedseal: a very good service inspite of the distance.

Alec
Old 02-03-2011, 15:54   #56

Boat: No boat, looking again.

It is good to hear of problems being solved. I know with my Yanmar GM10, the pump cover is a pain to get off and yet it is essential to do so regularly. I will probably end up getting a SpeedSeal.
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:39   #57

Boat: Currently boatless

We installed one on our Volvo MD2030D and love it. No leaks, much easier to open and on our engine with the old cover we had to install a new gasket every time we checked the impeller. The paper (or whatever it was) gasket would always rip. With the Speedseal o-ring instead we check it more often. Finger tightening only, no leaks.

Pictures here.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 21:21   #58

Boat: Newport 30 111

I was just getting ready to buy one. The results of the posts show that this company does not have good customer service. I will just leave my pump as is. I keep at least three spares on hand.
Nick Edgecomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 22:02   #59

Boat: deboated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Edgecomb View Post
I was just getting ready to buy one. The results of the posts show that this company does not have good customer service. I will just leave my pump as is. I keep at least three spares on hand.
Interesting as my impression was quite the opposite from the the bulk of the posters. Some do set out not to be satisfied regardless of company.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 22:07   #60

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
Interesting as my impression was quite the opposite from the the bulk of the posters. Some do set out not to be satisfied regardless of company.
X2 I like the product. Been working great on my motor. Makes life a lot easier. I don't get the impression the majority of owners are unhappy with the product or the company. Seems like speedseal went above and beyond. Just my impression
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote