Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 14:30   #31
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Spider Marine

I'm guessing lawyer. A pool would be entertaining. I think trolling (maybe trawling would be more appropriate here?) and having fun are totally different. That's one of the things I love about cf, the understanding of the fine line between the two. But cyberstalking, really?!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 14:49   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I'm guessing lawyer. A pool would be entertaining. I think trolling (maybe trawling would be more appropriate here?) and having fun are totally different. That's one of the things I love about cf, the understanding of the fine line between the two. But cyberstalking, really?!

Engineer...It's always the engineers!
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 14:56   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Engineer...It's always the engineers!
Or like my roommate back in college who is both. First he got a degree in EE, worked for a few years then went back to school for a law degree.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 18:04   #34

I are an ingineer but even i aint that anal!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 18:25   #35

Boat: Tartan 40
The thing about this is, if you're getting a starter for $109, how much customer service do you think you are getting? To keep costs low, I am sure they pretty much package up starters and get them out. Once they have to read more than 2 lines in their email, they probably stop caring and move onto the next starter, which probably nets them less than $20 in profit.

It's like Walmart in the states
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 18:29   #36

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73
The thing about this is, if you're getting a starter for $109, how much customer service do you think you are getting? To keep costs low, I am sure they pretty much package up starters and get them out. Once they have to read more than 2 lines in their email, they probably stop caring and move onto the next starter, which probably nets them less than $20 in profit.

It's like Walmart in the states...
Oops, sent too soon on ipad

.... People sometimes get pissed off because customer service is awful. Well, if you want someone who knows their product inside and out, and really cares about your business, you pay a price for it. You can't get chicken soup for the price of chicken poop, in other words....

But, i am glad to learn about spider marine. For that price may be worth buying a spare for my 3YM30....
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 20:31   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
There is a reason the likes of Volvo and Yanmar are expensive, it's because they can supply thousands of parts for dozens of engines anywhere in the world in a couple of days.

Pete
G'Day Pete,

At the risk of thread drift and banishment, that is a really funny statement!

In short, my experience over a lot of years is that those folks can supply SOME parts for SOME engines in SOME parts of the world in a few weeks time and for a lot of money. The universality that you suggest simply does not exist once away from major centers of yachting dollars.

But I'm dubious about Spider and their compatriots, and will await further developments in the OP's struggle with them.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 03-07-2012, 02:45   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by armido
Note:

The starter shipped via USPS on July 02, 2012

Appears the drift of this thread, regardless of who is contributing is beginning to collide with the following rule.

Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.

armido
Armido,

You seem to like quoting the rules - "This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through other means but not through our community."

The weird part is you don't seem to have a vendor dispute. You just have a really long-winded gripe about someone's customer service.

This isn't the better business bureau... Suggest you take your complaints somewhere else...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:28   #39

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Armido,

You seem to like quoting the rules - "This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through other means but not through our community."

The weird part is you don't seem to have a vendor dispute. You just have a really long-winded gripe about someone's customer service.

This isn't the better business bureau... Suggest you take your complaints somewhere else...
...Ahhh so true, so true. Reminds me of the saying..."Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy"?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:35   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
In short, my experience over a lot of years is that those folks can supply SOME parts for SOME engines in SOME parts of the world in a few weeks time and for a lot of money. The universality that you suggest simply does not exist once away from major centers of yachting dollars.
Same experience here, and to Volvo and Yanmar you can add Westerbeke. Once I left S Florida for the Caribbean very few parts were available for my Volvo diesel, even in St Thomas, USVI. Basically any parts I needed I called FL and had them shipped to me, if they even in stock in FL. At one point had a major engine problem and ended up pulling the engine and shipping to back to FL for repairs.

disclaimer: this was 30 years ago so no slight intended to any current Volvo dealers in St Thomas.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I are an ingineer but even i aint that anal!
You misspelled it, that's injineer. I know becus I are one too.
Old 09-07-2012, 00:25   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret
Not a lawyer--at least not one who's tasked with persuading the public. Perhaps a research drone, but Im guessing wannabe engineer.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 00:35   #43

I, for one, appreciate this thread. Not only did I learn a few things about Spider Marine (although I'm eager to hear the end result), but I also learned some things about myself. I'm sure I've had this internal monologue about similar decisions and considered sharing them with others. Now I know how they sound out loud, and I know how most people would perceive them. I'll try to agonize less about these decisions, and when I do torment myself, I'll have a drink, smile, and keep it to myself. Until I'm ripped off....
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:53   #44
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I appreciate the thread, too. I am in a very similar situation, living outside the USA for seven years now. I am constantly dealing with various vendors in the US and England ( I maintain two Land Rover Defenders, too), with varying results. I just ordered two alternators for our Yanmars, in fact.

We also have to be on constant alert re: shipping methods. I get steamed when I see someone claim they can deliver Internationally with USPS. No, they can't. USPS doesn't deliver internationally. USPS turns it over to the local postal service. The local postal service here doesn't deliver. We only got house numbers and street names last year, and that was so the police, fire, ambulance etc could find addresses. Not for postal deliveries.

I wanted to mention a company we got involved with last month, called St. Brendan's Isle. They are in Green Cove Springs, Florida. We were buying a boat in Jacksonville, and the previous owner is a customer of St. Brendan's Isle. We needed to buy a lot of stuff for the boat, and had this stuff shipped to us using St. Brendans. We were at their facility several times during our two weeks getting the boat ready to sail it home. We were very impressed.

St. Brendans runs a forwarding operation geared toward getting mail and packages to expats and cruisers. You get a box number at their facility, and order all your stuff with that address. They will take care of getting it to you, wherever you are. They know all he ins and outs, and will ship FedEx, UPS, DHL, or whatever it takes.

They also have a service for documents. You give them a limited power of attorney, and they can take care of mundane things like renewing registrations, etc. with your permission. when they receive a letter etc. addressed to you, they email you with the information of what they received. You then instruct them on how to handle it. IF you so choose, they will open the mail, scan the contents, and email that to you.

Check it out:
Mail Forwarding Services at St Brendan's Isle

I bring them up because we used them extensively, and it was a real good experience. And we were not even their customers, we used the box number for the boat's previous owner. Really good people, very professional.

As for the starters, hell, for that kind of money why not buy an extra for a spare to use while you sort out the one year warranty on the one that fails in the future?
Old 14-07-2012, 21:30   #45

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Ah man! I read this whole thread clear to here thinking I was going to find out what happened with Spider Marine starter order. Now I find out that I have to tune in again next week for the ongoing saga! :--)

Al, S/V Finlandia

Tags
marine