Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 11:01   #31

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Stainless steel cleaning

You might also try a "magic eraser". Works really well and cheap. But it really depends on how deep the rust stain is.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 20:18   #32

I know this is an old thread, however, today I recalled that some previous posters had recommended Bar Keepers Friend for cleaning rust from stainless steel (it is a citric acid-based product from the US).

Just got back from Costco here in Adelaide (South Australia); they are now stocking Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser in large 737g bottles (~3/4 litre) - they are sold in a 3-pack for AU$9.99. What a deal!

Think there will be a "whole lot of polishing goin' on" this weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1870.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	144361  
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 20:29   #33

Boat: In Between Boats

Spotless Stainless
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 00:09   #34

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Skies View Post
I know this is an old thread, however, today I recalled that some previous posters had recommended Bar Keepers Friend for cleaning rust from stainless steel (it is a citric acid-based product from the US).

Just got back from Costco here in Adelaide (South Australia); they are now stocking Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser in large 737g bottles (~3/4 litre) - they are sold in a 3-pack for AU$9.99. What a deal!

Think there will be a "whole lot of polishing goin' on" this weekend!
Can you let us know what you think of it after you have used it? I'd be interested in getting some.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 12:52   #35

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Barkeeper's friend is not citric acid. It's oxalic acid.

Sent from my SM-G532M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 31-03-2017, 21:14   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Barkeeper's friend is not citric acid. It's oxalic acid.

Sent from my SM-G532M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Perhaps your bottle contains something different than mine - here's a photo of the back label. Clearly says "Contains Citric Acid."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1872.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	144412  
Old 01-04-2017, 04:43   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

You're both right.

From the (Liquid) Soft Cleanser MSDS:
OXALIC ACID 2 - 4%
CITRIC ACID 0.8 - 1.1%
https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/wp-...-15.pdf?544c4c

From the (Powder) Cleanser & Polish MSDS:
Oxalic Acid 7.5 - 9.5%
Citric Acid not listed

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:27   #38

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

It does work well. I use the powder version with a scotchbright pad or damp rag. And follow up with a quick wax.

Also on my forty year old Formica countertops, and gelcoat. Rust stains scrub off easily. Only a dollar per can here. Hard to beat.

Hey Rustic, haven't seen you post in a while. Good to see you still around.
Old 05-04-2017, 19:14   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You're both right.

From the (Liquid) Soft Cleanser MSDS:
OXALIC ACID 2 - 4%
CITRIC ACID 0.8 - 1.1%
Thanks Gord, for this MSDS information - a bit surprised my bottle doesn't mention the oxalic acid.

Per Rustic Charm's request, here's my evaluation of Bar Keepers Friend:

As I mentioned in an earlier post of this thread - over the past 27 years we have tried nearly all the products on the market for cleaning/de-rusting stainless steel. Our favorite until this week was Spotless Stainless; however, they stopped importing it to Australia about two years ago (due to the adverse exchange rate and high shipping costs - but before that, it was over AU$50 a litre). Since then, we've been searching for a suitable alternative.

Last week we found Bar Keepers Friend (BKF) at Costco here in Adelaide really cheap, so we splurged on the 3-pack for AU$9.99. Just finished using it this morning on the topside stainless and was pleasantly surprised to find that it is every bit as easy and effective as the gold standard (Spotless Stainless). Not too surprising, since they are both citric acid-based products and are applied using the same method.... brush it on, wait awhile, rinse it off with the hose. BKF directions say to wash it off the surface within one minute of application - I applied it to about 1/4 of the deck hardware at one shot, and then rinsed it off. The only effect I found when leaving it on longer than recommended is that it is harder to hose off.

The photos are of my primary test vehicle for new SS cleaning products - the life raft cradle. Made of 1" stainless tubing, it is in a perpetual state of rusting. It was originally powder-coated but over time the paint has flaked away, along with any passivation layer (or this stainless is simply not suitable for a marine application). Even more vexing, is that this rust has stained the gel coat nonskid underneath - and BKF even removed that. In fact, in my stainless cleaning frenzy I used BKF with a scrub brush to clean the entire deck and it found it works better than my normal go-to product (Softscrub). We have even tried BKF on our brass sinks and faucets.... fab! We will now rid ourselves of two cleaning products (Softscrub and Brasso) and consolidate on Bar Keepers Friend. I'd rate it a 9 out of 10 - and only because it would be better if it was thicker... it drips when trying to apply it to vertical surfaces (stanchions, standing rigging, etc.).

Photos show the 'before' and 'after' on the life raft cradle.

Cheers, Katherine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1881.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	144761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1890.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	144762  

Name:	IMG_1883.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	144763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1887.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	144764  

Name:	IMG_1882.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	144765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1885.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	144766  

Name:	IMG_1892.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	144767  
Old 05-04-2017, 20:26   #40

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Stainless steel cleaning

Well those sinks look amazing. If you need some more stainless to test on I can help. :^)

BTW, someone may have made the same mistake with lifeboat cradle that I made when fabricating our stern ladder. In all the running around I forgot to specify 316 stainless. The poor thing is a mess but I am treating it as a template for remaking the ladder in the proper stuff later.
Old 06-04-2017, 16:38   #41

Quote:
Thanks Gord, for this MSDS information - a bit surprised my bottle doesn't mention the oxalic acid.

As I mentioned in an earlier post of this thread - over the past 27 years we have tried nearly all the products on the market for cleaning/de-rusting stainless steel. Our favorite until this week was Spotless Stainless; however, they stopped importing it to Australia about two years ago (due to the adverse exchange rate and high shipping costs - but before that, it was over AU$50 a litre). Since then, we've been searching for a suitable alternative.

Last week we found Bar Keepers Friend (BKF) at Costco here in Adelaide really cheap, so we splurged on the 3-pack for AU$9.99. Just finished using it this morning on the topside stainless and was pleasantly surprised to find that it is every bit as easy and effective as the gold standard (Spotless Stainless). Not too surprising, since they are both citric acid-based products and are applied using the same method.... brush it on, wait awhile, rinse it off with the hose. BKF directions say to wash it off the surface within one minute of application - I applied it to about 1/4 of the deck hardware at one shot, and then rinsed it off. The only effect I found when leaving it on longer than recommended is that it is harder to hose off.

The photos are of my primary test vehicle for new SS cleaning products - the life raft cradle. Made of 1" stainless tubing, it is in a perpetual state of rusting. It was originally powder-coated but over time the paint has flaked away, along with any passivation layer (or this stainless is simply not suitable for a marine application). Even more vexing, is that this rust has stained the gel coat nonskid underneath - and BKF even removed that. In fact, in my stainless cleaning frenzy I used BKF with a scrub brush to clean the entire deck and it found it works better than my normal go-to product (Softscrub). We have even tried BKF on our brass sinks and faucets.... fab! We will now rid ourselves of two cleaning products (Softscrub and Brasso) and consolidate on Bar Keepers Friend. I'd rate it a 9 out of 10 - and only because it would be better if it was thicker... it drips when trying to apply it to vertical surfaces (stanchions, standing rigging, etc.).

Cheers, Katherine
Thank you.. I'll see if I can arrange to get some.
Old 06-04-2017, 16:40   #42

Quote:

Cheers, Katherine
It's being advertised as 'now available in Coles supermarkets'.. I'll pop in there later and see if I can find it.
Old 06-04-2017, 16:44   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
It does work well. I use the powder version with a scotchbright pad or damp rag. And follow up with a quick wax.

Also on my forty year old Formica countertops, and gelcoat. Rust stains scrub off easily. Only a dollar per can here. Hard to beat.

Hey Rustic, haven't seen you post in a while. Good to see you still around.
Hi yeah, I'm still around. I peruse the forum from time to time and if I'm looking for help/advice. But I made a decision to avoid the social discussions. Too stressful for me.
Old 06-04-2017, 17:08   #44

Boat: Valiant 40

I bought a bottle of Spotless Stainless today to try out. Applied it to some stanchions with some moderate surface rust, at the prescribed temperature, let it sit for 30 minutes, kept it moist, and...nothing. Did not do a thing.

So I took another stanchion and cleaned it with acetone, then mineral spirits on the theory that residual wax may have prevented the SS from working. I also shook the bottle, which I had not noticed in the instructions. Applied again, as per the first, and...nothing.

I'm perplexed. I would have expected it to do something, not nothing. I did notice that the areas without rust where it was applied were a little a little brighter, but it did nothing to the rust.

I can't square that with the rave reviews I've read. Very strange.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 17:25   #45

For those using or have used BKF.....

Besides the powder/liquid option, which "flavour" are you using/prefer? seems there are a couple to choose from...

Bar Keepers Friend

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, steel