Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2024, 13:00   #46
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Starlink doubling prices?

I don't know why there is a debate. If SL is worth it to you you will pay the price. If not you wouldn't. Why does it matter to you if others fall into the category opposite you?
Old 25-05-2024, 22:09   #47

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran

I must admit that I have not used the Sat Phone for weather updates yet. I get them on SSB which is slow but free. I can also use it for email, but rarely do. If it is that important, someone I know will phone me. Being in touch is not important to me, but I recognize that it is for many.
Old 26-05-2024, 10:33   #48

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't know why there is a debate. If SL is worth it to you you will pay the price. If not you wouldn't. Why does it matter to you if others fall into the category opposite you?
I can only speak for myself, but the debate is very helpful for deciding whether or not SL is worth it to me. There's a lot to consider. Not only other options, but trying to predict where the market will go in the future.

Even if it's worth it today, if tomorrow they're going to crank the price up, after I invested in the hardware, that might sway the decision.

I had signed up for the beta program, and was picked, but I decided against it for just this reason. Yes, it was worth it to me at the time, but I had no idea what the future would bring in both improved hardware and higher rates.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2024, 13:11   #49
CLOD

Boat: none

It is easy to decide if SL is worth it to you.

If you rarely are out of cell phone coverage, SL is probably not all that useful for you. When I had an unlimited cell phone I could do 95% of everything I could do with SL. But a lot of times could not lots of things as well or fast.
Old 26-05-2024, 23:21   #50
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I do have unlimited Verizon but it won’t be long before they start throttling you. I found it has become worthless.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2024, 05:28   #51

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It is easy to decide if SL is worth it to you.

If you rarely are out of cell phone coverage, SL is probably not all that useful for you. When I had an unlimited cell phone I could do 95% of everything I could do with SL. But a lot of times could not lots of things as well or fast.
It also depends on why you want/need internet connectivity. If it's to enable working while cruising then it's worth having a better and more redundant setup compared to someone who only wants it for fun and convenience.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2024, 22:59   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertkwfl View Post
As others have mentioned, just go with the $250 mobile priority plan. It has everything the Mobile Global plan offers plus your first 50GB each month are priority.
50Gb, how could anyone possibly survive on that, its like 4 litres of water a day type of ration. On board every member of the family are watching something different in their own little bubble, so 50Gb isn't enough at all.

Of course the family could try a different form of entertainment and financial education for the younger generation. Monopoly anyone? Or how about something military involving strategy, tactics and guile? Chess perhaps?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price