Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2023, 06:37   #16

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Re: Sunbrella quality?

We had new exterior cushions made last year. The supplier in Palma advised against Sunbrella as she had seen a notable decline in quality.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 07:44   #17

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

My canvas lady says she has not noticed a decline, but I have. IMHO the decline started well before the pandemic. The stuff just does not stand up to UV the way it used to. I had some old blue Sunbrella that was great for 17 years, including a 2 year cruise in the tropics of Central America. Redid the canvas here in Maine (short season) and in 3 years start to see degradation. Accelerating rapidly in its 5th season. I will go to something else next time. I expect companies to improve their products as they get bigger, but I actually think the new corporate mantra is all about the shareholder and the heck with the consumer. Not sure they realize that their brand used to mean something and that has value the stand to lose without investment in improvements.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 08:56   #18

Sunbrella = parasol ?
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 09:31   #19

Boat: Aloa 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
Sunbrella = parasol ?
Maybe...
Contraction of words "sun" and "umbrella", and because the origin was french, maybe they make a joke for build the brand name ?
Phil_Fr17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 09:40   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think it matter what you buy. I have some navy blue from 4 years ago and some from last years. The stuff I got last is definitely heavier material. So I feel there is more to it than saying "sunbella"
Ours is 16 and still looks good including 7 seasons in the Caribbean. We are headed for the third set of windows. We have see the Sunbrella cost increase a lot.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 09:46   #21

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Not to hijack this thread; but, can anyone suggest a good substitute for Sunbrella and a North American source or supplier for buying this material by the yard?

I am planning to make a retractible awning for the cockpit and looking for suitable material...

-Evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 11:31   #22

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46

We are going with Dickson's, I guess time will tell if that's a good idea or not..
trevorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 11:40   #23

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think it matter what you buy. I have some navy blue from 4 years ago and some from last years. The stuff I got last is definitely heavier material. So I feel there is more to it than saying "sunbella"
This is very true. There are both indoor and outdoor fabrics, and fabrics of different weights. Also, there used to be a chart on the sunbrella website that showed UV protection and expected life of different dyes. Not all dyes protect from UV as well (White and light tan offering almost none, Pacific Blue and Dark green being among the best) and how long the UV protection lasts. The fabric might LOOK great, but after about 5 years, according to the chart, would offer little protection if used as a UV sail cover.

I haven't seen that chart in a while though.
Old 29-05-2023, 18:19   #24
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by eheffa View Post
Not to hijack this thread; but, can anyone suggest a good substitute for Sunbrella and a North American source or supplier for buying this material by the yard?
I am planning to make a retractible awning for the cockpit and looking for suitable material...
-Evan
Rochford supply.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 19:15   #25

Boat: Farr 1020

About 5 years ago I was told by a local sailrepairer/upholsterer that the shorter width Sunbrella had deteriorated in quality but the full width ones are still excellent. Not validated that but it was repeated by Hood sailmakers, so suspect there is some truth there.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 03:06   #26

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post
My canvas lady says she has not noticed a decline, but I have. IMHO the decline started well before the pandemic. The stuff just does not stand up to UV the way it used to. I had some old blue Sunbrella that was great for 17 years, including a 2 year cruise in the tropics of Central America. Redid the canvas here in Maine (short season) and in 3 years start to see degradation. Accelerating rapidly in its 5th season. I will go to something else next time. I expect companies to improve their products as they get bigger, but I actually think the new corporate mantra is all about the shareholder and the heck with the consumer. Not sure they realize that their brand used to mean something and that has value the stand to lose without investment in improvements.
Same here with similar time frame, old Blue is still fine after so many years, the younger beige used for window covers is a desaster totally deforming, shrinking, I thought the ... seller cheated with some Chinese product. But reading the comments here I am not sure any more
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 07:13   #27

Boat: Catalina Capri 22

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Marine-Fabric

They are good to deal with. Family business.
Rightbrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 07:43   #28

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

An option may be Sattler, I can't vouch for the longevity of the product. Sattler comes with a 10 year warranty.

The one on the right is Sunbrella, the one on the left is Sattler Marine Canvas. I honestly can't tell the difference, maybe time will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sattler sunbrella.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	462.5 KB
ID:	276024  
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 09:36   #29
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightbrainer View Post
https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Marine-Fabric
They are good to deal with. Family business.
Yep, these guys are good. They can talk directly to you about options for fabric applications. Sunbrella isn't always the best idea, especially if it may be abraded.

They only carry narrower widths of some of the less-popular colours.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote