Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2022, 11:42   #31
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Surveyor won’t go above 6’

The last 3 transactions involved a surveyor that climbed the mast. I guess I live in a sail area or just got lucky.

The bottom line is that the rig inspection is part of the job, and if the surveyor subs it out to a good rigger ... fine.

BTW, none of them relied on someone winching them up. They used one of several climbing systems, used their own rope, and used multiple safety lines. Not a big deal. One of them spotted an impingement that would most likely have been missed with the mast down.

---

Like and anchor thread. I really dislike all of the inspector-bashing. They are paid to spend a reasonable amount of time, and thus things can be missed. The real cost of inspecting an older boat with problems is far more than we want to pay. Additionally, "conditions of age" and what "needs" fixed are often debatable, as they depend on expectations. My surveyors have missed things, perhaps a few things that should not have been missed, but I won't call them harsh names. They worked hard.
Old 04-10-2022, 11:49   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Sorry I’m not going to smack talk any of the cities chandeliers, Sail houses or riggers. Don’t care what your opinion is about them either.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 12:27   #33

A surveyor is a product of a bank and insurance company. Was their way to get rid of asset managers and hand you the bill. That’s all it is.
Real Estate surveyor is down right humour and the banks were always wrong so no change except who pays the bill.
Most insurance companies require you change the rigging in 10 years so budget for mast rebuild. Go price out all the parts and remove the amount from the offer to cover the unknown unless the seller wants to provide evidence the mast is in perfect running order. If the boat is over 10 years old it should have a bill for rigging replacement. Self furling masts have a whole new set of problems and various component changes hard to discover.
Old 04-10-2022, 12:34   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
As to the Chris no worries. Boat saved no silly survey needed. Fully insured.
Quote:
Agree I couldn’t get insurance on the Chris
I'm confused. Which is it ?
Old 05-10-2022, 05:05   #35

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I'm confused. Which is it ?
Rumrace is a troll, Lots of deliberate misinformation, and just plain incorrect information. They do a disservice to the usefulness of this forum..
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:18   #36

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Rumrace is a troll, Lots of deliberate misinformation, and just plain incorrect information. They do a disservice to the usefulness of this forum..

I was convinced rumrace was a bot for awhile. Now just ignored.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:51   #37

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Don't you get tired of being wrong ?

Apparently not based on their past performance.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:56   #38

Quote:
A surveyor is a product of a bank and insurance company. Was their way to get rid of asset managers and hand you the bill. That’s all it is.

Are you serious? Yes they are used for loans and insurance but to a larger percentage, individuals boat buyers use them to gain further knowledge of what they are getting themselves into.

So I'm wondering...Are you a University student doing an experiment on forums to see what you can get away with?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 05-10-2022, 08:01   #39

I like the ammo theory. Way more than the few folks who thread after thread jump on calling someone a liar then name dropping, then spreading out a resume of night courses with three other lawn chair experts.
It’s been my experience folks see their own faults in other folks but not themselves. I have photos of our family building a yacht club in Toronto in 1936 but I’m not here to compete for some noob internet trophy.
It’s my opinion and advise for the OP. Rant with someone who cares.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:39   #40

Celestial. You are correct I’m a permanent student at Osgoode Hall. They is a Surveyor in this thread who highly recommends using Home Depot Sewage pipe despite UL establishing marine sewage pipes below and above the water line. In the building code the two plastic pipes have unique faults one must be buried as UV destroy it in days. The other requires more hangers as heat humidity affect it. Specific sewage pipes for specific application but buddy the boat expert just hands you some McGiver advise. Do you think he ever paid the bill for some boat hitting a wave and blowing a Home Depot rigid pipe. Give him you stock portfolio and raise a statue. I’ll send the pigeons
Old 05-10-2022, 10:29   #41

Quote:
I like the ammo theory. Way more than the few folks who thread after thread jump on calling someone a liar then name dropping, then spreading out a resume of night courses with three other lawn chair experts.
It’s been my experience folks see their own faults in other folks but not themselves. I have photos of our family building a yacht club in Toronto in 1936 but I’m not here to compete for some noob internet trophy.
It’s my opinion and advise for the OP. Rant with someone who cares.

Ah...so you are a University student studying Psychology, I see. Here is something for your notes...If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and everyone is calling it a duck...guess what?
Old 05-10-2022, 10:34   #42

[QUOTE=boatpoker

Please provide the UL data you proclaim.[/QUOTE]

There you go again trying to turn an apple into an orange.
Just say..."Rumrace...you are absolutely, positively correct! What was I thinking? I am only a lawn chair Surveyor taking night courses in order to fake my way through life. I stand in the wake of your greatness."
Old 05-10-2022, 10:36   #43
Marine Service Provider

You and lead a donkey to water but you can't make him tell the truth.
Done with this nonsense.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:29   #44

You could be Celestial. The thread is not about iyou. If you’re offended it doesn’t mean your right. it’s about advise one boater to another.
I could find the dumbest plumber in Toronto who’s never been on a boat and ask him to install new sewage pipes in a boat. He’s smart enough to do some research and install legitimate marine sewage hose. Why because he’s liable. I’ll Sue him stupid if he damaged the boat.
If some useless loudmouth tells you to take Javex for Covid you can’t sue him for being stupid.
If you go into a weed store in Toronto and ask for medical advise you won’t get any. The employees are licensed and it’s illegal to give medical advise. They can be sued. They respect the medical scripts which come in.
If you want to be good at property assessment turn numbers not stories you’ve no business telling.
One surveyor on this thread joins every thread insulting or calling someone liar. I’m just one of the idiots targets. Then he mistates some the thing like this plumbing fubar and drops a resume of night courses from the 80’s. Gets admins to back him up.
Don’t waste you’re time like him. You’ll end up competing on a forum for something silly, with no roi.
Old 11-10-2022, 13:04   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
One surveyor on this thread joins every thread insulting or calling someone liar.
Not "someone"

Tags
survey, surveyor