Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2013, 16:55   #16
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: The Best Place to Shop for Boat Stuff??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
McMaster-Carr is excellent!!!!
I have been unable to purchase from McMaster-Carr in the past as I am in Canada. They will take your order but it magically gets canceled. I believe (but don't know for sure) that this applies to any orders from outside the USA.
BTW, they do have a few long term large customers that are outside of the US.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 17:04   #17
ost

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Defender is good people. Offered me yard price on a couple of parts they didn't have on hand but would get in a couple of days. There is also that big sale in March, spend all of you boat pennies in one month.
ost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 08:35   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ost View Post
Defender is good people.
Personally, I had a horrible experience with that 'good people' at Defender yesterday

Their guy from phone order department quoted me a price for a package of 2010 left-other Zodiac + 9.9hp Honda... I did confirm that price with him yesterday, and after I drove there from NYC, almost 3 hours, and spent 40 minutes filling out papers, cashier said: "You know what, that guy messed up with the prices, we will not sell you this package for that price".

I would understand, if they made a huge mistake... but, come on, difference was about $150... for the price of boat + motor... for the boat they cannot sell for 3 years now...

And as a final touch: that guy from their phone order department did not even come down to the floor to say "yes, I made ​​a mistake, let's find a solution that will make both of us happy". Come on, I'm buying a boat, I need "everything" besides the boat itself: vhf, pfd, extinguisher, wheels, flares, anchor, ropes, etc, etc... that's easy another grand in sales... No, "we will not sell you the boat for that price".

So, they didn't sell their left-other boat which is 3 years old now + I'm gonna return my order worth $550 of all stuff I don't need anymore & they obviously lost a customer...

Yeah, 'good people' Just stupid...
V.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 09:20   #19

Boat: Newport 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I have been unable to purchase from McMaster-Carr in the past as I am in Canada. They will take your order but it magically gets canceled. I believe (but don't know for sure) that this applies to any orders from outside the USA.
BTW, they do have a few long term large customers that are outside of the US.
I get small orders from them and have had no problem.
BUT, I ship across the border to Point Roberts.
Maybe they don’t ship to non-US addresses?
Old 29-05-2013, 10:25   #20

Location: On dry land at the moment...and looking to rectify that!
Boat: Currently in the market for a new (to us) boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
My favorite place to shop is Hopkins-Carter Marine.
They've been around since 1916. There is a fellow there named HopCar that loves to help cruisers.
Their website is www.hopkins-carter.com

The earlier advise to ask for a quote on big items is a good idea. Manufacturers are imposing Minimum Advertised Prices which mean that dealers can't advertise at lower prices. It doesn't mean we can't sell at lower prices if you ask.

I will confirm what HopCar is saying, on both points.

We recently purchased an outboard from him after meeting in a CF discussion board on Lehr propane motors, (he gave me a great deal on an display model!).

When it came time for our next big purchase, I figured I'd ask him for a quote on an expensive piece of kit we decided we wanted for our boat.

He quoted me a great price, and we bought it through him.

HopCar has created a "monster"-- so to speak-- we've got a lot left to purchase for our boat... and you can bet that I am going to e-mail him the next time we are looking to make a big $$$$ purchase.

Cheers,
S/V Octopussy
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 12:01   #21

Boat: Owens
I'll give Hopkins Carter a plug too. Just received a quote on an item sold all over the web for just over $160 + $20 shipping for a little over $100 + $20 shipping.

I seldom think of him as a supplier as we see him posting often on various forums helping folks out with advice. I asked a question regarding an item in a forum and he posted pictures of exactly what I needed.

I also like Grainger, they don't do ya any favors on price but sometimes you just need to get stuff done. As Stu pointed out earlier not all parts have to be marine. Grainger is a bit spendy but I've never received less than absolute top quality tools and hardware from them either.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 16:55   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Thanks guys! That's really nice of you to say. If you ever get to Miami, please stop in for a visit. I'll make you some Cuban coffee.
Old 29-05-2013, 17:10   #23

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Thanks guys! That's really nice of you to say. If you ever get to Miami, please stop in for a visit. I'll make you some Cuban coffee.
What is the air draft to your store?
Old 29-05-2013, 18:14   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"What is the air draft to your store? "
I guess I should know that but I don't. The only fixed bridge between us and Biscayne Bay is a very high rail bridge. There are some forty + foot sailboats up our canal. We get a lot of tall sportfishing boats as well. Thanks a lot, now that's going to drive me crazy until I can figure it out!

Water depth may be more limiting. One of our customers who was doing a lot of work on a fifty something foot sailboat wanted to tie up behind the store. He couldn't get close enough to the dock without touching bottom.The mast wasn't a problem, the deep keel was.
Old 30-05-2013, 13:27   #25

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
"What is the air draft to your store? "
I guess I should know that but I don't. The only fixed bridge between us and Biscayne Bay is a very high rail bridge. There are some forty + foot sailboats up our canal. We get a lot of tall sportfishing boats as well. Thanks a lot, now that's going to drive me crazy until I can figure it out!

Water depth may be more limiting. One of our customers who was doing a lot of work on a fifty something foot sailboat wanted to tie up behind the store. He couldn't get close enough to the dock without touching bottom.The mast wasn't a problem, the deep keel was.
That is good enough. I sort of thought that from the Google image.
Thanks.
Old 29-08-2013, 09:44   #26

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I'll give Hopkins Carter a plug too. Just received a quote on an item sold all over the web for just over $160 + $20 shipping for a little over $100 + $20 shipping.

I seldom think of him as a supplier as we see him posting often on various forums helping folks out with advice. I asked a question regarding an item in a forum and he posted pictures of exactly what I needed.
I agree, I bought most of my thru hull stuff from HC... definitely the best prices on that kind of stuff.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 20:47   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I love you guys!
Old 29-08-2013, 22:26   #28

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I buy almost all my boat stuff from local marine stores, I have 4 of them within 5mi or less from my dock! All of them can be reached by water if needed! and all deliver!! The one I use the most will deliver anything over 10 bucks to me! By simpley useing the interweb to ck WM and Defenders sites for prices, I find I save an average of 30% or more on some high dollar items! All of these store are really fishermens stores, but they either have what I need or they get it within a day or two! And Im helping local folks make a living!! If I was In Fla. I would be dealing with our buddy Hoppy !! LOL All kidding aside, all lot of folks on here are driveing by a local Marine store on there way to WM. Ya might stop once and see if these local folks can help ya out !!
Old 29-08-2013, 22:51   #29

Boat: Catalina 34
Another vote for Hamilton Marine. Right next to my marina and they are great to deal with.