Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2009, 11:01   #31

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Annapolis Boatshow scuttlebut

I was talking to a gentleman from eMarine Systems (from Ft. Lauderdale, I believe). He said that Southwest WindPower (makers of the Air-X and the Air Breeze) are recalling early Air Breeze units because of slight delamination of the blades. Since the newer Air Breeze units are shipping with black blades rather than white, I'm guessing my unit is an early model.

New replacement blades of the newer design are available for about $100-110, and I'd guess SWWP would replace my old white ones for free, since it's making more noise now than when originally installed. I'll followup here after I contact SWWP.

So now, with black blades, the only way to tell from a distance whether it's an older Air-X or a newer Air Breeze is to listen...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 11:20   #32

Boat: R & C Leopard 38 (2001)
Surely the replacement blades for the air breeze are also the newer, wider, quieter profile ??? If they simply replace with air-X blades that would suck. I look forward to your follow up.

Thanks, Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 11:31   #33
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
I have an Air-X and agree it is extremely noisy. I also bought the replacement set of blades that were designed in Germany and built in Portugal. They cost roughly $275 but are worth every penny to me. My Air-X has gone from a screaming banshee to whisper quiet while still maintaining its full output. I highly recommend the combo.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 11:50   #34

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Surely the replacement blades for the air breeze are also the newer, wider, quieter profile ??? If they simply replace with air-X blades that would suck. I look forward to your follow up.

Thanks, Dave
Air-X and Air Breeze blades have a different mount. So even though the new Air Breeze blades are black and look like Air-X blades, they're still quieter. Sorry for the confusion...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 15:14   #35

Boat: M&M 52, Kiapa
we chose air-x for our ultralight. we got unit, pole, wiring, switches, etc all installed @ less than 15 pounds. cruising the sopac, it ran everything (fridge, pilot, lights) as long as apparent wind was > 12 knots. it could be stopped, and silenced, by flipping a toggle switch down below. they stand up to incredible amounts of wind. i think air-x might be simplest & safest unit, albeit a noisy bugger.

if there are new & improved blades that make it quieter, all the better.
kiapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 15:44   #36

Friends have recently fitted an Air-Breeze to their cat. It's much quieter than the Air-X. It's actually at it's noisiest when the breeze is light, say around 4-8 knots, and gets quieter as the wind picks up, which is the opposite to how the Air-x was.

Even at it's noisiest, it's quite acceptable sitting in the cockpit maybe 3 metres away from it.

I had actually ruled out a wind generator, and have made no provision for one, but this unit has got me thinking about one again.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:14   #37

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
wind generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht_moondust View Post
Oh thanks for that - we are currently looking at Wind generators and comparing noise levels. There are many Air X models here in the marina and well quite frankly I would be embarrassed to have one. We have looked at the new Air Breeze model in the box and the seller said that it is in fact "alot quieter" but not having seen one we weren't prepared to go ahead until we got feedback. So you have helped us alot with your feedback and we will knock that one off the list. We keep coming back to the Aerogen6 model. The ones here you can be standing next to and you can barely hear them at all. Don't want to offend people in anchorages so the volume is a big factor. Thanks again
hi Have a look at the D400 we sat next to one in a f7 and hardly heard it.
Regards Pete
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 18:08   #38

Boat: M&M 52, Kiapa
while quiet is definitely good... and the air-x is definitely noisy... how & where you use your wind generator does make a huge difference as to what's most important.
in the marina -- why bother? if you have an air-x, it's turned OFF.
in an anchorage -- it shouldn't drive you (or your neighbor nuts), but it must meet your energy needs.
on passage -- it needs to meet energy reqts, and it must be SAFE.

for us, the latter means that it must have "overspeed" control features and an electro-mechanical means of shutting it down/stopping it.
kiapa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise