Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2013, 17:57   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: The Summer Cabin Fan Thread

I've switched from the Hella fans to the Calframo Sirocco. While the Hella fans were more durable, the Siroccos move more air with less noise. The Hella fans seemed prone to vibration where the Siroccos are not.

One feature I really like is that I can program the Sirocco to turn itself off in two-hour intervals. No more waking up in the middle of the night, after it's finally cooled off, with the shivers.

I run three fans in the boat, and so far (seven years) I've had to take one back under warranty. Clearly, the Hellas are more durable than the Calframos... if you can put up with the vibrations.
Old 31-05-2013, 18:01   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I have had a Caframo Sirocco for five years now. It gets plenty of use. No problems except that the chrome has flaked away leaving ugly rust, but that is just cosmetic.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:39   #18

I am trying an "Endless Breeze" as per suggestions in this thread. I had it in mind to use it like an attic fan, that is to say, hang it in a hatch and have it blow outward, as has also been suggested.

How are you "stringing it across the hatch?"

TIA
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:05   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
I am trying an "Endless Breeze" as per suggestions in this thread. I had it in mind to use it like an attic fan, that is to say, hang it in a hatch and have it blow outward, as has also been suggested.

How are you "stringing it across the hatch?"

TIA
What we did with a standard floor fan was buy a sheet of plexiglass to fit the hatch opening. Then cut a hole in the center of the plexiglass to fit the fan and screwed the fan to the plexiglass.

Was very easy to set the fan in the hatch or take it down if the rain really came pouring down. Plywood or whatever sheet material you have should work as well.

PS
My Endless Breeze is due to deliver by UPS today.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:14   #20

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We replaced our Hella fans years ago with the Caframo, and we have been pleased with the performance. Ours seem noisier than others we know with the same fans.

We also like the O2 Cool portable fans which can run on batteries. It is easy to convert these to 12v using a trailer plug.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 16:35   #21

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Don, Inside the mount there is a small nut over a spring. Try tightening the nut to stop some of the vibration. You might have to adjust it a couple of times until the noise goes away.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 17:05   #22

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I have had a Caframo Sirocco for five years now. It gets plenty of use. No problems except that the chrome has flaked away leaving ugly rust, but that is just cosmetic.
We have the 747s (four of them) the Scirocco and the water resistant metal one (kona I think). They have been great except the sciroccos is suppose to offer three speeds. Ours has trouble turning on at times and requires multiple hits. When it does turn on, it typically will only do the low speed and repeated taps only turn it on and off. It's a little frustrating!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:52   #23

fwiw

I ended up doing a QnD on the fan installation. that is to say, I used coat hanger wire. There is a handle on top of the fan, with two perforations. I ran wire through those. There's little feet, and I ran another piece of coat hanger over (around?) those. Bent the bits of coat hanger such that they suspended the fan across the hatch and bent little hooks in the ends. Hooked little bent ends over the lip of the hatch. hangs fine, quick to deploy and stow.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:24   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
fwiw

I ended up doing a QnD on the fan installation. that is to say, I used coat hanger wire. There is a handle on top of the fan, with two perforations. I ran wire through those. There's little feet, and I ran another piece of coat hanger over (around?) those. Bent the bits of coat hanger such that they suspended the fan across the hatch and bent little hooks in the ends. Hooked little bent ends over the lip of the hatch. hangs fine, quick to deploy and stow.
I love coathangers. So handy for so many things. Always keep a couple on the boat to use for fishing wires, Q&D fixes, poking holes or reaming out existing holes.

So here's a question. With the fan hanging in the hatch you have open space between the fan housing and the hatch. I wondering if you will get a vortex with some the output air circling back to the sucking side to reduce the efficiency. OR will you get a venturi effect where the air blowing up through the hatch brings additional air along with it to increase the efficiency.

Since you volunteered how about testing for us. Light and blow out a candle or match under the fan and watch which way the smoke goes.

By the way, UPS delivered my fan yesterday. Plugged it into the car and find it to be very quiet for the volume of air it puts out.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:45   #25

Without testing, I offer you this example, which doesn't cover as much of the hatch opening as does the Endless Breeze:

for the price, it better work. I figure they've done testing for me and I'll roll with what I've got. Rather mix a rum drink absinthe than light and extinguish flammables

oh btw: i'll second the quietness of the EB, I think my little Hellas are louder
Old 05-06-2013, 11:54   #26

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We've got four of the Caframo Bora fans.......never again. All but one has lost a speed, and they're next to impossible to clean the lint off of. They did run 24/7 for the better part of a year, but never moved as much air as their price tag would suggest.

Their replacement is the Caframo Ultimate. At the very least I can clean the blades without dis-assembly.

Do I produce more lint than most people?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 13:53   #27

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Don, Inside the mount there is a small nut over a spring. Try tightening the nut to stop some of the vibration. You might have to adjust it a couple of times until the noise goes away.
We just mounted a hella fan, forgot to test it before install. Loud loud loud! Found this post, tightened nut, quiet as a mouse
Thanks waterwayguuy!
Old 31-08-2013, 16:39   #28

Boat: 34 Irwin
Hey Ocean Girl! A bit of drift here, but hides the job market of there? I'm in the boatyard/ marina management biz. I've heard better there than here in SC.
Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 16:45   #29

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Not sure, Clear Lake Texas is very busy I believe. You should start a thread, lots of marine workers on CF
Old 31-08-2013, 21:18   #30

Boat: 34 Irwin
Thx will try!
Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin