Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2012, 07:51   #46

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Toughest Laptop

My Dell Latitude D630 made it nearly 20 K miles over two years without failing.

We did pour a part of a French press of coffee into the keyboard half way across the North Atlantic. That rendered it inoperative for about 4 hours as it would not boot. We baked it out in the oven on low for 2 hours and it revived itself. We did lose the comma key though. I actually think the coffee made it run a tad faster after the accident. The speed increase may have been due to the caffeine.

Fortunately, we had two more laptops wrapped and stored as backups. That reduced the fear factor as we were depending on the laptop for the nav, AIS, and Iridium/SSB weather. I think that the backups are critical as the laptops are fragile. One drop of salt water could be deadly.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 09:53   #47

Boat: Amel 50

I am not sure if it has been mentioned but, to make any laptop faster and last longer in a bumpy environment replace the standard hard drive with a SSD.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 10:23   #48
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

noelex, AFAIK the very thought of connecting a rotating mechanical drive of any kind to an iPad violates the whole paradigm of the Apple iOs (phone/tablet) and if you try to make that work, it will trigger the self-destruct program, the command pod will fly off, the rest of the starship exploding violently as the warp cores go supercritical. Oh wait, wrong movie. :-)

Hey, you're messing with APPLE here. (Thinking of the line in Dr. Strangelove where a Coca-Cola machine is violated, see it again if that doesn't ring a bell.)

What you can do in the meantime is rip the DVD to some standard format that the tablet can recognize (mp4? etc) and then transfer the file over, or cloud store it. Of course you also might need to downsample the image since a native DVD movie these days tends to run around 5-6GB even if you strip off the extras and commercials.

But, you know, be careful. The iOs has ways of dealing with people who violate the paradigm!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 11:12   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
noelex, AFAIK the very thought of connecting a rotating mechanical drive of any kind to an iPad violates the whole paradigm of the Apple iOs (phone/tablet) and if you try to make that work, it will trigger the self-destruct program, the command pod will fly off, the rest of the starship exploding violently as the warp cores go supercritical. Oh wait, wrong movie. :-)

Hey, you're messing with APPLE here. (Thinking of the line in Dr. Strangelove where a Coca-Cola machine is violated, see it again if that doesn't ring a bell.)

What you can do in the meantime is rip the DVD to some standard format that the tablet can recognize (mp4? etc) and then transfer the file over, or cloud store it. Of course you also might need to downsample the image since a native DVD movie these days tends to run around 5-6GB even if you strip off the extras and commercials.

But, you know, be careful. The iOs has ways of dealing with people who violate the paradigm!
I would not want to destabilise the universe, alternative realities etc. This reality is too good to change

Most of my movies are are hard drive.

Some cruisers have reported using the wifi connectable hard drives linked to their ipad.
I would like to get one of these for iPad back up anyway.
If I can get the iPad to link to my HD monitor ( which I think is easy, but I have not been able to buy the appropriate cable yet) and play a movie from a wifi hard drive I think it would probably use a bit less power and save pulling out the laptop, which I now don't use for much else, but it remains to be seen if Its viable.

Has anyone done this?
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 12:39   #50

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
For those of you thinking of getting a tablet my experience may help.

I purchased one about 12 months ago after every single cruiser I met said "you have to get an iPad".

I was skeptical, and felt I would use it for 10% of of my time on the computer and laptop the other 90%.
In practice It is the other way around. I use the iPad 90% of the time. (If I could find I computer store and get some toys so I can play movies from my iPad (which I think is possible) it would be 98% iPad.
Hi Nolex..Can I assume you mean the tablet concept and not iPad in particular?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 12:42   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
I am not sure if it has been mentioned but, to make any laptop faster and last longer in a bumpy environment replace the standard hard drive with a SSD.

SSD...Solid state device???
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 19-10-2012, 12:57   #52

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

SSD....Solid State Drive

I've had laptops die from just one drop of saltwater...I had an IBM that was great, but a small deck leak killed it.

I replaced with an MSI netbook, but found that it diddn't have enough grunt...and, one day smoke started coming out of the LHS hinge.
And you know what they say...all electroic devices have a cetain amount of smoke in them, when that smoke leaks out they stop working !

Replaced it with a refurbished Acer Aspire from the Acer factory outlet..only $479 and its going great....
Just buy cheap and back everything up is my reccomendation.
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 13:02   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Hi Nolex..Can I assume you mean the tablet concept and not iPad in particular?
I mean the tablet concept.
Tablets are changing very rapidly at the moment.
I have owned both macs and windows laptops and can see pros and cons with both.
When I purchased my tablet 12 months ago the iPad had a clear lead for my requirements, but your requirements may be different and I think alternative tablets are catching up rapidly.

When used on a boat (rather than at desk) the tablet format works very well. Combined with low power consumption, long battery life, built in GPS, instant on, and great applications, like Navionics, tablets do what I want very well.

If running a business from my desk my requirements would be very different. My experience, full time cruising, is that my iPad is better solution, for most things I want to do.
Old 19-10-2012, 13:03   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
SSD....Solid State Drive

I've had laptops die from just one drop of saltwater...I had an IBM that was great, but a small deck leak killed it.

I replaced with an MSI netbook, but found that it diddn't have enough grunt...and, one day smoke started coming out of the LHS hinge.
And you know what they say...all electroic devices have a cetain amount of smoke in them, when that smoke leaks out they stop working !

Replaced it with a refurbished Acer Aspire from the Acer factory outlet..only $479 and its going great....
Just buy cheap and back everything up is my reccomendation.
Yes...I've been threatening to buy an external drive for backup. If I keep just thinking about it, I'm going to be sorry...
Old 19-10-2012, 13:05   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I mean the tablet concept.
Tablets are changing very rapidly at the moment.
I have owned both macs and windows laptops and can see pros and cons with both.
When I purchased my tablet 12 months ago the iPad had a clear lead for my requirements, but your requirements may be different and I think alternative tablets are catching up rapidly.

When used on a boat (rather than at desk) the tablet format works very well. Combined with low power consumption, long battery life, built in GPS, instant on, and great applications, like Navionics, tablets do what I want very well.

If running a business from my desk my requirements would be very different.
All this from you and others have me heavily leaning tablet with the Dell as a 5% back-up. Sounds like I should wait until a few months prior to take-off before buying. I will keep tabs on them to see any new innovations...
Old 19-10-2012, 13:11   #56
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

noelex-
In theory, absolutely, the WiFi hard drive (i.e Western Digital's "media centers" or "media servers" whatever they call them this week) or even any wifi router with a USB connection for centralized storage drives will work.

I say in theory because I recently bought a USB WiFi stick for a Samsung TV that is supposed to allow the TV to play all sorts of things from your computer without needing to run cords that way. Well....Yeah, but since it costs so much to print paper docs, they don't, and when you finally get support, they had to conference call their TV department with their laptop department (honest!) to figure out that even with the magic stick?

Their TV only recognizes .AVI or .WMV files. So if you've got any sort of standard DVD library, you have to rip it into one of those formats in order to play them. I hope the iOs is better about formats, or your library is already in something it likes, because I tried ripping one DVD into lossless AVI and it took a reasonably fast computer about 3 hours to do that.

Well, compared to rabbit ears and tinfoil I suppose this is still progress. (G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 13:27   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I say in theory because
I think you may be right.
I still want a wifi hard drive for backup and memory extension ( although my iPad tells me I am not near filling its measly 64g.)

If I can play movies via the ipad and wifi hard drive it will be a bonus.

I currently use a notebook to drive the larger screen for movies, but I think if it the iPad will work it would cut the power requirements. I suspect the iPad will struggle with the formatting of some of movies. In windows only VCL player seems to play them all.
Old 19-10-2012, 14:52   #58

I have a DVD player and a 25" LED flat screen soon to be run through an inverter. Probably uses more power that way but it's nice lying back in the salon watching a flic.
Old 20-10-2012, 12:18   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Has anyone any experience with the ComNav sunlight viewable system?
ComNav
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laptop