Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2019, 08:16   #31

Re: Ultrasonic Antifouling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Your parting cheap shot was inappropriate and uncalled for.

Au contraire

It was very much called for...................

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 17:20   #32

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

Just to help you along, my Jay Car System does not work.
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 19:05   #33

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I find it interesting that the cheapest ultrasonic systems have always promised the most...
It reminds me of 'You can keep your doctor. PERIOD !

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 19:49   #34

Boat: Voyage 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
In every "discussion" I've read on this topic it's the same scenario. One party with a clear agenda takes over the conversation running roughshod over anybody who dares to contradict his "expert" opinion, and browbeating them into silence. And encouraging those for whom the systems have not worked to dominate the conversation. The result is the appearance of a consensus that ultrasonic antifouling system do not work.. period.
I don't know what the heck you're talking about. This is a forum full of sailors and sailors have thick skin and don't mind speaking their minds. If this stuff worked great there would be a bunch of folks saying, "Works for me!" and that would be that.

But we don't have that. And we have a few folks saying they don't work with credible experience in the field, who haven't been offensive as far as I'm concerned.

You're the one trying to dominate the conversation.

Keep whining about how people with a different opinion from what you're seeking are "aggressive" "mean" or that this is a "food fight" and I'll start to believe you're no sailor and no seaman.

If the ultrasonic antifouling works great, someone will show up and say so. That is reality.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 19:52   #35
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I find it interesting that the cheapest ultrasonic systems have always promised the most...
Seman's Jaycar ($249/unit) advertisment claims:

This is an improved design from our popular kit (KC5498) from 2010 that helps reduce marine growth on the boat hull up to 8m.

Your Ultra-SonicTec (CleanAHull) ($2500/unit) advertisement claims:

The smartest, most advanced, proven, feature-rich, simplest-to-install, robust ultrasonic anti fouling system available anywhere.

The CleanAHull is proven to work in all environments.

CleanAHull Ultrasonic Antifouling system is the most advanced, reliable and highest quality Ultrasonic Antifouling System available Worldwide.

The CleanaHull Ultrasonic Antifouling protection system utilizes industry leading technology and the latest in-house developed transducer technology. By emitting multiple very specific frequency bursts through a vast range of frequencies, the system protects the hull from algae growth and barnacles.

Prevents Algae, Barnacle, and Weed Growth
The ultrasonic wave created along the surface of the hull disrupts the cellular structure of micro fouling organisms (diatoms, marine bacteria, and algae) that collect on the hull. By disrupting the food chain, macro fouling organisms (barnacles, tube worms, and weeds) are prevented from adhering to the hull.

Saves Fuel
Fouling growth on the hull increases the coefficient of friction and reduces the hydrodynamics of the boat. Only 1 millimeter of slime increases the coefficient of friction by 75%! CleanAHull maintains a clean hull so the boat glides through the water easily.

Extended Range and Distance Traveled
With a smooth hull, fuel burn is reduced for the distance traveled. Having a clean hull will extend your vessel’s range under power and extend the distance traveled under sail.

Increases Speed
Your boat’s performance is designed and dependent on a clean hull, free of fouling. CleanAHull maintains your boat hull so it will perform and attain the speeds it was designed to do.

Saves Money – Reduces Operating Costs
Reduces cost of operations through lower fuel consumption, eliminates diver costs, and extends haul out intervals and paint life.

Diver Hull Cleaning Visits and Cost
By keeping the hull constantly clean, diver hull cleaning is a thing of the past.

Extends Haul Out Intervals
Because the bottom paint is not being removed by fouling and frequent diver scraping and scrubbing, your antifouling paint lasts longer and haul out frequency is reduced.

Extends Hard Bottom Paint Life (6-8 years)
Paint life is extended because it is not subjected to constant scraping and scrubbing, and degradation from fouling organisms.

Constantly Clean Bottom
Your boat is ready to go when you are. No waiting for the diver to scrape and scrub your hull so you can operate your boat efficiently.

Keeps Raw Water Intakes Open
Raw water intakes can be restricted by fouling growth. CleanAHull keeps the intakes clean and maintains water flow.

Keeps Sea Chests Clean of Fouling
A major headache of sea chests is fouling inside the chest and intakes. Simply mount a
CleanAHull transducer on the sea chest and fouling is eliminated.

Reduces Maintenance Costs
Boat ownership cost only starts with the purchase price. Maintenance plays a major role in post-purchase expenses. CleanAHull works constantly to reduce your maintenance costs.

More Time Using Your Boat
Fewer haul outs and time cleaning the bottom. If you do it yourself, means more time on the water.

Solves IPS Drive Fouling
One of the major drawbacks of IPS drives is the fouling issues, which can severely impede proper operation. CleanAHull transducers mounted directly to the IPS drive transmission solves the fouling problems and keeps your IPS drive functioning properly.

Solves Jet Drive Fouling
Fouling inside the jet drive ducts and the pump impellers is almost impossible to remove without disassembly. CleanAHull keeps the interior jet drive system clear of fouling.

Fast Pay Back
With the fuel savings, eliminated diver cleaning, extended antifouling paint life, and extended haul out intervals, owners are experiencing fast investment payback, some as quickly as 8 months!

Protects the Environment
CleanAHull Advanced Ultrasonic Antifouling technology is a totally green technology. It does not introduce any foreign materials and toxins into the marine environment. By extending the life of antifouling paints, it reduces their toxic effects on the environment as well. Reducing fuel consumption and extending range lessens hydrocarbon usage and reduces the carbon footprint of boat ownership.

Easy In-Water Installation
Because CleanAHull is bonded to the interior surface of the hull with no hull penetrations, it can be installed while the boat is in the water. There is no need to haul out for installation.

Suitable for Most Hull Materials
Works great on fiberglass, steel, and aluminum hulls.

Etc., etc, etc.

Is there anything about this topic you can get right?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 13:41   #36

Boat: Steel Swain 36 Cutter

I have a 36 foot steel boat. I decided to try one of the Jaycar units which I got at a very good price several years ago. At the cost of a good can of paint I decided to give one a try so I mounted it near the stern of the boat. I immediately noticed less soft growth like grass and soft plants. The fouling at the stern seemed to be less than before. I say this because it would normally be the worst area since it gets more sunlight on the rudder and skeg. After putting in the Jaycar unit, the stern was now no worse than the bow. Based on this, I got another deal for a second unit and mounted it near the bow. Bottomline, I don't think they are a replacement for anti-fouling paint at all but they might get you a little more time between coats. In my experiece, they don't seem to do much for at all for barnacles which are really bad in my area (NZ). I wouldn't spend a lot of money for one and ignore the unrealistic BS from the salesmen but if it is in your budget, they can't hurt.
opusnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 17:25   #37

Boat: 2008 Jeanneau 54

I've just purchased a "new to me" yacht... in the Caribbean. The previous owner installed one of these anti-fouling systems, with 4 nodes. I hear that it has some value. I guess we'll see. I'll post results when I have some first hand experience.

FYI... I too would like to hear from anyone who has purchased and used such a system. As already stated a few times on this thread, apparently some have experienced good results, and some haven't. I think it's worthwhile to explore the unknown.

rs
Rascally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 18:10   #38

Boat: Ocean Renegade 52

SV Delos just "painted" their bottom with SeaSpeed V10X (a non-stick hard silicone coating that supposedly lasts 8-10 years). They also installed an ultrasonic antifouling system. They've posted the install/paint video to their channel last week, and will be posting an update on results in like 2 weeks. I've already heard through a back channel that they are pretty happy with it, but I'm looking forward to the actual report. I was planning on doing the same to my boat, so this was nice timing, and will be in Florida in 6 months, so worst case I'll add my results to this then. I personally expect the SeaSpeed to perform as advertised, and I'm 50/50 on whether the ultrasonic will reduce cleaning requirements (which are already easy with the non-stick surface). Even if it's working "well" I expect to be doing quick dives once a month and "wiping it down" but not having to "scrape things off".
css145hs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 18:27   #39

Boat: BENETEAU 50 (2001 MODEL)

We have a 2001 50ft Beneteau and installed the Ultrasonic Antifouling UK dual transducer in 2009. The system has been fault free and saved us thousands and paid for itself many times over. Sure you need a solid internal mount point for each transducer so it isn't going to suit all vessels but we have never looked back. SV Miss Behave HK, now at anchor in Brisbane, Australia.
Missbehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 21:09   #40

Boat: Archambault Surprise 25ft

I am using a mono Sonihull Ultrasonic antifoul on my 25ft day sailor. No inboard engine. Waters in Dubai are dreadful, barnacles grow after two days without cleaning the hull. System is on 24hrs a day. I also use VC Offshore antifoul paint with a high copper content. So far so good. The cost of the Sonihull sold in Dubai was the cost if one antifoul so it has already paid for itself. I would definitely recommend.
fjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 21:59   #41

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Following
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:26   #42

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I went for CopperCoat, great so far, easy to clean, no sticking growth in one year in the Med / Adriatic. Just some slime you can easy wipe away.
Old 05-02-2019, 17:41   #43

It's nice to see posts here from owners simply relating their specific experiences instead of a bunch of opinionated garbage and infighting as early in the thread. We are finally getting useful input. After awhile it may actually be possible to collect this information into a single document with just those accounts, positive and negative where folks can review them and make an intelligent decision. I would like to reiterate that this is potentially very valuable information......... opinions are like a-----es, everybody has one. Real world personal accounts of boat owners are of real value....... the rest basically is garbage.
It's obvious that these systems work for some people and not for others..... I believe most people are giving creditable accounts. Only by looking at the details of these accounts is there any possibility of getting an accurate overall picture. Details such as hull construction....... cored or not cored, GRP, wood, steel, aluminum, transponder locations, manufacturers, location, etc are critically important to drawing an accurate conclusion. It may not be possible to reach any sort of definitive conclusion in the short term, but in the long term the picture will emerge as long as we don't have people intentionally muddying the water so to speak.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 18:02   #44
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Why don't you just install a system on your boat and then let us know how it works for you? Asking a few random people, all with different boats and anti fouling systems in widely separated regions of the globe is going to tell you nothing, except that some people report positive experiences with it and others do not, which you already know. You aren't even asking the right questions to learn anything further than that.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 18:09   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Why don't you just install a system on your boat and then let us know how it works for you? Asking a few random people, all with different boats and anti fouling systems in widely separated regions of the globe is going to tell you nothing, except that some people report positive experiences with it and others do not, which you already know. You aren't even asking the right questions to learn anything further than that.
Kind of like how a SF bottom cleaner always trashes everything. Goes just short of calling anyone with a positive report a liar.