Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2011, 17:13   #1

Boat: Boereal 44
Unfarmiliar products

I've been working on the extra's list for the new boat, always an extras list for a new boat, I guess like a new car. Some of the products I'm not familiar with that come from across the pond and I'm hoping some here have used these products and can vouch for them or not.

1) NKE Auto Pilot, gyropilot with windvane(compass,helm and wind mode. I hear that MKE has a great rep but I have never talked with anyone who owns this brand.

2) Prop shaft alternator by Valio, low activation. Boreal is going to try one out this summer and see how they work.

3) Replace standard Lewmar hatches with Goiot hatches, sounds like a no brainer to me but anyone have Goiot hatches and do you like them?

4) Facnor AFX 4500 SPI Furlers, They look very sound but any reports on them.
Thanks
Steve
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 00:18   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Unfarmiliar products

Man I don't know anything about any of those....BUT...if you go with a prop shaft alternator be sure your transmission is of the type that is OK to free wheel.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 00:57   #3

Boat: Trismus 37

Goiot hatches are very good but expensive at least down here in NZ I have them on my boat, they came were fitted when we bought her. If you can afford them then go for it. Valio make good stuff, hadn't heard about a specific alternator for prop shafts as most folk I Know who have one has used an automotive type. I second that you must have a gearbox that can freewheel safely, some can't.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 01:34   #4

NKE has a great reputation. I've raced on boats with that brand....but don't have any specifics. I think it's top-end equipment...almost custom.

Nobody is going to say Lewmar hatches are 'very good'. They're 'good enough.' Up on the foredeck don't skimp on the hatch.

Somewhere I heard someone say the Facnor furler was exceptionally good....no source for that though....

Sorry I'm not much help...
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote