Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2022, 09:27   #16

Re: Vesper sp160 antenna splitter

we had the vesper splitter, but some time ago now. never had any problems with it.

It looks like Garmin's acquisition of vesper closed 3 January 2022. So their tech support probably has no idea yet about the product line, and their product development team is probably actively working to 'Garmin-ize' the line so they don't care to invest much effort in understanding the 'legacy' products. Might explain it, but none of that is a valid excuse, as simply the tone of those Garmin responses above was unacceptable for customer support.

Only Garmin products I have used were their old handheld gps's and their current bike computers, both of which were/are quite well made. Customer support on these two products has been adequate, not excellent but you can get a valid answer.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 09:50   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380 (now sold)

I had the same problem with my brand new Vesper splitter. As I was in a foreign marina, about to singlehand 1200 miles, I emailed the manufacturer and they did try to help.
In the end they concluded the unit was fine and my antenna was at fault, why they would not replace the splitter. I had already tried a direct AIS connection with normal 40+ miles reception. Only when the splitter went in, the range dropped significantly.
Not to waste time and with winds in my favour, I took the splitter out and purchased/added a dedicated AIS antenna to the solar arch.
This has worked fine with 15+ miles reception, at 3m height, which is good enough, but I still wish the Vesper was not faulty. After all the unit did cost a buck, and I brought it with me on the flight there, and did the installation etc.
Still have the Vesper right here, and I keep looking at it with dissatisfaction.
I had positive experience with other Vesper products, which is why I decided on the Vesper splitter, but seems that one is a bad egg.
Be Free Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 14:02   #18

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

I own and use the Vesper splitter for many years and have had no issues with it. AIS Rx and Tx is excellent, no significant change with or without the splitter. Vespers customer service used to be excellent, I’m very unhappy to read the crappy answer of Garmin.
ilCigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 15:54   #19

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I was very surprised; and disappointed myself.

Just got maed a survey, and was eager to voice my opinion. The survey just asked if I was happy with the customer service, and offered me to click on a happy face, or a face that was less happy. No frowns available... I guess this allows them to spin the results however they want.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 01-06-2023, 00:47   #20

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

Did it occur to anyone on the thread that the Garmin support person is actually an AI chatbot robot? This is where the world is going folks and it ain't looking good.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 01:54   #21
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
Did it occur to anyone on the thread that the Garmin support person is actually an AI chatbot robot? This is where the world is going folks and it ain't looking good.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
In hindsight, yes, it’s an AI.

Not surprising considering we have had a number of members here on the forum who were AI’s

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna