Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2021, 12:20   #136
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: West Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixnax View Post
Cruisers can be such a sad, sorry bunch of nickel and dimers. Too many never go anywhere unless they are forced to by law or customs. Holding tanks are dumped in situ, if they even have one, garbage is put in some free can ashore, free wi-fi is a major concern and just buying the food they need to live is considered to be "putting big bucks back into the local economy."

If you think West Marine pads the price in your hometown you might try Budget Marine in Aruba for a comparison.

Here's the news: we do not pay enough to make local communities desire us. Yes, someone will come along pointing out this place or that as exceptions. But the big picture is that unless we are spending money we have no value.

The years when doing this as cheaply as possible is considered a success story are drawing to a close.

There's a whole lot of truth in that.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 12:34   #137
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
A profound truth.

Anchorages are now mooring fields. Transient berths need to be reserved weeks in advance via Dockwa. Marinas are being bought up by Safe Harbors and made into resort destinations. Town docks are now municipal marinas.

Sigh.

This is true Captn. Sorry, a bit of thread drift here. I was kind of pointing this out years ago when even on this forum sailors were complaining about other boats that were less than, in their opinion, sea worthy and not as well taken care of as their own in the areas they want to anchor in for free as well. I said then that when you ask to to have boats you consider neglected, "less than" etc., "taken care of" that it won't be long before people with more money, nicer boats, and nicer waterfront homes than you, will start to look with the same jaundiced eye at you and impose on you the rules they like.
Old 13-07-2021, 12:52   #138
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

As my Dad was always famed for saying to me. "Cut to the Chaff son!" Two people inline at WM to check out. The guy in front has a shopping cart with four Guy Harvey T shirts, a Yeti cooler, four floats, two off brand rod and reels, a pair of Maui Jim shades, a Striker 7 fish finder, two Nomadix beach towels, four gallons of QuikSilver, and two cheap orange life jackets. The next guy in line "You want HOW much for four bronze screws?" Don't kid yourself, WM knows exactly who and where their market is.
Old 13-07-2021, 14:00   #139

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
West Marine, like Sears, was perfectly positioned to thrive in the internet retail market place, but apparently neither foresaw that trend very clearly.
Its amazing how many companies fail to act on big obvious trends. Kodak, Block Buster, the entire USA auto industry, ...
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 14:03   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
As my Dad was always famed for saying to me. "Cut to the Chaff son!" Two people inline at WM to check out. The guy in front has a shopping cart with four Guy Harvey T shirts, a Yeti cooler, four floats, two off brand rod and reels, a pair of Maui Jim shades, a Striker 7 fish finder, two Nomadix beach towels, four gallons of QuikSilver, and two cheap orange life jackets. The next guy in line "You want HOW much for four bronze screws?" Don't kid yourself, WM knows exactly who and where their market is.
This ^.

And they have for decades, thus their acquisition of smaller companies whose market was small power boaters.

Come to think of it, they may have just been following the same decending trend line as USA society in general. Foretold by shifting market dynamics and the dramatic rise in popularity of reality TV shows. After all, think about what flags you see flying mostly off small power boats. [emoji6]
Old 14-07-2021, 06:50   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Its amazing how many companies fail to act on big obvious trends. Kodak, Block Buster, the entire USA auto industry, ...
And, how many of their executives, who make decisions that bankrupt a company, nevertheless, get huge million dollar bonuses.

I'm pretty sure even I could figure out how to ruin a major company. Why don't they just hire me at half the money?
Old 14-07-2021, 07:02   #142

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
And, how many of their executives, who make decisions that bankrupt a company, nevertheless, get huge million dollar bonuses.

Fiction can be fun to read but be careful where you read it. If that was a question you stated, the answer is actually, very few if any. But criticizing others for one's own issues seems to be a popular trend these days.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 07:07   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Fiction can be fun to read but be careful where you read it. If that was a question you stated, the answer is actually, very few if any. But criticizing others for one's own issues seems to be a popular trend these days.
So, you're saying, that but for these wonderful decisions, these companies would have been bankrupted worse?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...es/ss-BB17RKTK

Okay, then.
Old 14-07-2021, 08:32   #144

Quote:

I'm pretty sure even I could figure out how to ruin a major company. Why don't they just hire me at half the money? [emoji3]
They do, and thats part of the problem. Corporate boards have become a good ol' boys club, you sit on my board and vote for my big bonus and I will do the same...no one wants to rock the boat. This means that executive compensation can remain totally out of touch with financial reality and that opportunities are missed because of complacent leadership.

Example, in the 1990's, I asked an aging Kodak exec whether he was concerned about digital photography. He was not. In his lethargic opinion there would always be film and even if it impacted their (massive) consumer film revenue then there would always be specialty technical films. This guy was not concerned about the potential loss of huge amounts of revenue from consumer film products. I was gobsmacked. Im pretty sure I was just standing their with my mouth open at a loss for words. Afterall he was still going to get his fat bonuses and retirement soon...so why worry. Predictably, Kodak missed the digital boat and are now a shadow of their former selves.
Old 14-07-2021, 16:08   #145

Quote:
So, you're saying, that but for these wonderful decisions, these companies would have been bankrupted worse?

e:
No, i’m not “saying that” nor did I write it in such a way as to be vague, confusing or subject to some highly imaginative interpretation. It is now clear this isn’t the place or the people with whom an objective conversation might happen.
Old 16-07-2021, 07:21   #146

Quote:
No, i’m not “saying that” nor did I write it in such a way as to be vague, confusing or subject to some highly imaginative interpretation. It is now clear this isn’t the place or the people with whom an objective conversation might happen.
Well, then, I have no idea what you were trying to say, or what point you were trying to make. Blame me, if it makes you feel better.
Old 16-07-2021, 07:28   #147

Quote:
Well, then, I have no idea what you were trying to say, ...:
Clearly! Begs the question why you didn’t ask but instead simply went off the ‘deep end’ with some wild interpretation.
Old 16-07-2021, 07:29   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
It's partly a supply chain problem due to Covid. If they have Awlgrip of any sort where you are, you're lucky.

We can't find any here in Toronto...
LittleWing77
The West Marine store in key west had a half empty shelves long before covid. They do seem to be reasonably busy but you certainly cannot find everything you are looking for
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 03:31   #149

Quote:
Clearly! Begs the question why you didn’t ask but instead simply went off the ‘deep end’ with some wild interpretation.
I guess I thought I knew what he was trying to say, but didn’t.

Obviously, you know that feeling too, based on your post.

Tags
marine