Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2021, 10:02   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: West Marine

West Marine does not make most of it's monies from knowledgeable boaters that do their own work. They make it on the people that don't even know the rules of the road much less the costs of parts and supplies. You know, those power boats that fly by you in no wake zones, yep those are the real WM targets. This is why all the old WM employees with vast knowledge of boats are no longer there. Any $15 an hour employee can work at WM and it shows. My shop is about 1/2 mile from the premier WM in Ft. Lauderdale. Whenever I go by it my truck won't allow mem to turn into it.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 10:17   #17

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Apparently, it's time for the semi-annual bash WM contest. The good news is that so many people seem to have nothing important to complain about.
Actually I do have better things to do. That's why in 16 years I have only posted 700+ times, not thousands. It is frustrating, after sailing for 67 years, a boat owner the whole time,full time cruiser for 10, that the activity is just pricing itself out of the reach for those who are limited budget sailors, and companies like West Marine, which for so many years was the go to place, has become the don't go to place unless you walk in the door and they happen to have what you need, at any price, which is more the exception than the rule.

Defender is also a bricks and mortar location, you can walk in and purchase, and they do have inventory.

We do have the freedom to vent once in awhile.

I have to make up a couple of new halyards now, I do have better things to do.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 10:35   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I drive by a WM store daily....

I used to see all sorts of stuff outside....dinks, engines, etc...pool toys.....etc...
These days I see nothing...

Last time I was in a WM store, seemed like 50% of the store was given over to clothing apparel, pool toys and fishing gear.....all which were noticeably expensive...I know because I comparison shop all the time...

I'm not sure how long WM will stay in business. They have always targeted the marine environment, which has taken a nosedive since the Covid pandemic..

Amazon is a thorn in their side...as is Defender....

I don't think this WM bashing per se...merely pointing out what most all of us know....
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 12:03   #19

Boat: Alajuela 33

Tellie nailed it. Their customer base is not cost conscious cruising sailors; it weekend power boaters.
The fact you can go down and pick something up on the spot, or see an item in person and handle it, is still a convenience and thus a value for me.
They do price match, so simply use that to your advantage.
I research prices online before I go. Obviously many others here do as well.
Find the best price, go down and have them match it and walk out the door with item in hand; no shipping charges or waiting.
To say (as some here have) that it shouldn’t be up to the customer to do the work of requesting a price match to me is ridiculous.
It’s like saying the customer shouldn’t have to mail in a rebate or take advantage of a sale to get a better price.
japawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 12:19   #20

West Marine update: Doing my eye splices, I decided to call West Marine, after seeing the product on their website for $11 less, which should have been the price in the store. During my discussion, I was told the West Marine was just bought out, and the new managment is going to try to be more in line with Amazon and other online suppliers, and that most everything is in limbo right now. The customer service rep wasn't sure how it was going to impact stores, but feels it will be a year for all the changes to happen. Wonder if this is the end like so many, like Sears, Toys R Us and many others that are bought with over leveridged buy outs. Their price match is only stores within 50 miles, and Amazon when it is a direct purchase from Amazon, not a different seller.

I did get a $11 credit, still price $10 more than other locations.
Old 24-06-2021, 12:37   #21

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by japawil View Post
To say (as some here have) that it shouldn’t be up to the customer to do the work of requesting a price match to me is ridiculous.
It’s like saying the customer shouldn’t have to mail in a rebate or take advantage of a sale to get a better price.
Let’s modify to say the customer’s loyalty likely ends when asked to seek a better price before you (The retailer) agree to offer it as a begrudging consolation against your inability to operate with sustained cost-competitiveness.

Mail in rebates are a Boomer phenomenon that benefit the business more than customers (a practice that is falling out of favor as widespread acceptance wanes). West (That is to say ANY retailer that relies on this model) does not price match to be nice to its consumers. They do it because it allows them to avoid touching their bottom line through sustained price competitiveness- and bizarrely some consumers underwrite the practice. If I was a West Marine stakeholder, I’d sound EXACTLY like you, but as a West Marine customer, I’ll refrain from celebrating a practice that disadvantage “us” (writ large).
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 13:32   #22

I’ve got nothing against WM, but why would I shop there? Associates who often have never been on a boat. Very high pricing. Mediocre quality products.

If I need something fast, I go to my local mom and pop shop. Guys who are no-kidding boaters, and prices that aren’t obscene.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 14:15   #23
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I just bought some Raritan parts from WM. They were more expensive, slightly, then Amazon but it was easy to pick the three parts I needed on one order instead of placing 3 orders with 3 separate suppliers. In fact, one part was not available on Amazon. In general I'm happy with West Marine. Different than what others have experienced, their staff is pretty knowledgeable IMO.

On the other side, I don't buy from Defender anymore. I don't like that you essentially can't return anything. You have 30 days and have to pay for shipping. I'm always ordering months in advance of a repair/upgrade.
Old 24-06-2021, 14:32   #24

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I almost hate to add to this topic; it's been hashed over so many times. But I have one question:

Does your WM price-match on-line retailers, or only local businesses?

When they first announced the policy, it was anywhere. But then I heard they'd changed that to local only. For example, unless you're in Connecticut, they wouldn't match Defender's price. Maybe that's changed again, or maybe it's a store-by-store thing.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 14:33   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I just bought some Raritan parts from WM. They were more expensive, slightly, then Amazon but it was easy to pick the three parts I needed on one order instead of placing 3 orders with 3 separate suppliers. In fact, one part was not available on Amazon. In general I'm happy with West Marine. Different than what others have experienced, their staff is pretty knowledgeable IMO.

On the other side, I don't buy from Defender anymore. I don't like that you essentially can't return anything. You have 30 days and have to pay for shipping. I'm always ordering months in advance of a repair/upgrade.

Tale of Two retailers.

While the majority of West Marine’s sales likely come from commercial customers (giving WM the freedom to do whatever they like with retail- the price difference between the two is significant), Defender’s pricing is more on par with retail competitors, but it seems to be its own worst enemy by failing to keep their online retail (theIr most robust sales channel) practices up to date- (let alone innovate in that regard).

Beyond failing at the basic stuff (major data breach a few weeks ago led to the release of customer banking information), they’ve failed to adopt any of the practices that Amazon does to encourage people to favor internet retail options. It’s frustrating to watch.
Old 24-06-2021, 14:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
Let’s modify to say the customer’s loyalty likely ends when asked to seek a better price before you (The retailer) agree to offer it as a begrudging consolation against your inability to operate with sustained cost-competitiveness.

Mail in rebates are a Boomer phenomenon that benefit the business more than customers (a practice that is falling out of favor as widespread acceptance wanes). West (That is to say ANY retailer that relies on this model) does not price match to be nice to its consumers. They do it because it allows them to avoid touching their bottom line through sustained price competitiveness- and bizarrely some consumers underwrite the practice. If I was a West Marine stakeholder, I’d sound EXACTLY like you, but as a West Marine customer, I’ll refrain from celebrating a practice that disadvantage “us” (writ large).

I’m certainly not celebrating the practice.
I just see it as taking advantage of what is available.
I wouldn’t say I have any loyalty to WM or any other retailer, but I am willing to continue my patronage ONLY because they offer an exception to over pricing where available and requested.
Without the consolation (begrudgingly or otherwise), I likely wouldn’t give them my business.
If their target customer base is willing to pay inflated prices, I can’t fault them for charging what that market will bear.
I’m certainly not here to defend WM. I generally patronize my local chandlery and am willing to pay a slight premium for the convenience, on hand availability, and personal service afforded me. (Sounds like loyalty [emoji6])
However, if their price exceeds rationality in my opinion, or more likely they don’t have what I need on hand, and I can run down to WM and pick it up without a penalty on price due to their matching policy, that’s what I do.
Without the matching policy, unless I was really in need of something ASAP, chances are I would wait for delivery from online.
I don’t see the extra minute it takes to point out and show them the lower available price a penalty, but rather a win over the evil corporate empire![emoji6]
Old 24-06-2021, 15:09   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by japawil View Post
I’m certainly not celebrating the practice.
I just see it as taking advantage of what is available.
I wouldn’t say I have any loyalty to WM or any other retailer, but I am willing to continue my patronage ONLY because they offer an exception to over pricing where available and requested.
Without the consolation (begrudgingly or otherwise), I likely wouldn’t give them my business.
If their target customer base is willing to pay inflated prices, I can’t fault them for charging what that market will bear.
I’m certainly not here to defend WM. I generally patronize my local chandlery and am willing to pay a slight premium for the convenience, on hand availability, and personal service afforded me. (Sounds like loyalty [emoji6])
However, if their price exceeds rationality in my opinion, or more likely they don’t have what I need on hand, and I can run down to WM and pick it up without a penalty on price due to their matching policy, that’s what I do.
Without the matching policy, unless I was really in need of something ASAP, chances are I would wait for delivery from online.
I don’t see the extra minute it takes to point out and show them the lower available price a penalty, but rather a win over the evil corporate empire![emoji6]
There certainly is the convenience premium, and I think it’s accepted that we all experience, and in most cases, accept that in a physical location. The reason I suspect we see threads about this particular store semi-annually is because it takes it further than most.

Certainly no harm whatsoever in taking advantage of the price match, nor the mail in rebates- that IS indeed what they are there for. But those businesses do only offer them to insulate themselves from a business decision with their pricing that preys upon the average buyer who may not suspect they embrace that model and therefore not know to invest in due diligence with each purchase.
Old 24-06-2021, 16:34   #28

And thus..... caveat emptor
Old 24-06-2021, 16:38   #29
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Does your WM price-match on-line retailers, or only local businesses?

When they first announced the policy, it was anywhere. But then I heard they'd changed that to local only. For example, unless you're in Connecticut, they wouldn't match Defender's price. Maybe that's changed again, or maybe it's a store-by-store thing.
I was in the Palm Beach WM and heard the full conversation between a customer and a sales associate. The price match has to be for a competitor that has a brick and mortar store, it doesn't matter where. So Defender does, and they will match their prices, Amazon does not, so they won't match those. At least that is exactly what I heard, but could be wrong regardless.
Old 24-06-2021, 16:45   #30

I mentioned earlier, direct from a rep at West Marine, when calling customer service, another dealer has to be within 50 mile of the store to price match, and to match Amazon, it has to be direct from Amazon, not a seller represented by Amazon. That might all be different as they were bought out and will have new marketing strategies.

Tags
marine