Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2021, 23:13   #106

Re: West Marine

I don't buy that "stocking small items is expensive" excuse. You're a national chain, have a regional warehouse or some such (an outlet store) from which to have next day deliveries to nearby stores.

And why does Perko 2 color bow light is under $13 at Walmart while at WM exactly the same Perko light is $29? WM's business model seems to be - if it has a word "marine" on the packaging just double or triple the price.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:19   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I don't buy that "stocking small items is expensive" excuse. You're a national chain, have a regional warehouse or some such (an outlet store) from which to have next day deliveries to nearby stores.

I totally agree that this should be possible... it probably boils down to whether the owners actually want to be in the marine chandlery business or not. There has to be at least a little bit of love and understanding for boats, boat life, and the people in it. It's a niche business and will always be thus; WM will never outgross the Gap.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 14:11   #108

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
How does West Marine stay in business, price gouging? .
You apparently don't know the meaning of "price gouging".

West Marine, like any other retailer, buys products wholesale and sells them at retail. They have every legal and moral right to set the retail price wherever they see fit (unless the product manufacturer prohibits this). The markup covers their expenses and a profit for shareholders and is expected from a retail store.

As a consumer, you have every right to shop where you choose. You can shop for price, shop for value or shop for convenience, your choice.

BTW: It doesn't matter how much lower the price was at the other store if they didn't have any to sell. They could have listed it as "free".
Old 03-07-2021, 14:38   #109

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn ken View Post
not any more
They do price match under certain conditions. They will price match amazon.com.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:27   #110
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

There are a lot more power boats of all sizes out there than there are sailing cruisers. WM as a business would be foolish not to recognize their real market.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:41   #111

West Marine, like Sears, was perfectly positioned to thrive in the internet retail market place, but apparently neither foresaw that trend very clearly.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:40   #112

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
There are a lot more power boats of all sizes out there than there are sailing cruisers. WM as a business would be foolish not to recognize their real market.
Would have been nice if they hadn’t acquired those businesses that DO (did) service this market before shifting their focus to the Yeti/fishing/audiophile crowds.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:14   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
West Marine, like Sears, was perfectly positioned to thrive in the internet retail market place, but apparently neither foresaw that trend very clearly.

Indeed. Seems that the upstarts and entrepreneurs saw the opportunity that the established retail players did not. Same thing has happened in sales of recorded music. Longstanding dominance seems to create dinosaurs.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 13:55   #114

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You apparently don't know the meaning of "price gouging".

West Marine, like any other retailer, buys products wholesale and sells them at retail. They have every legal and moral right to set the retail price wherever they see fit (unless the product manufacturer prohibits this). The markup covers their expenses and a profit for shareholders and is expected from a retail store.

As a consumer, you have every right to shop where you choose. You can shop for price, shop for value or shop for convenience, your choice.

BTW: It doesn't matter how much lower the price was at the other store if they didn't have any to sell. They could have listed it as "free".
I observed predatory pricing which drove out competitors and when they were gone, prices went up.

And when the competitors were gone, I observed inventory and stocking practices which resulted in poor availability for WM customers.

All is legal and standard practice I guess in business , but it does not make them likable.

In the end it is hard to imagine that a business which is hated by its customers will survive.
Old 06-07-2021, 13:56   #115

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

I am in an enviable position. The nearest chandlery to me is WM. 200 yards further on the same road is a small, private, B&M store. They have a better selection than WM. They have nicer staff -- that know the products. And they are 30-50% lower than WM on every product, every day of the week. They are usually within 10% of the best on line price.

Fawcets Marine in Annapolis. It doesn't get any better than that!

No relationship, just a phenomenally happy customer.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 15:00   #116

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

In the end it is hard to imagine that a business which is hated by its customers will survive.
It's a business selling retail. How anyone can "hate" an inanimate object is strange.

They aren't in the business of competing with online retailers and their marketing strategy is not directed at bargain shopping sailboat owners. Again, nothing to hate" here.

As for survivors, they are not only that but are the only chain marine business still alive in the U.S. which is a monumental accomplihment and we should be happy such an animal still exists.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 15:45   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
I am in an enviable position. The nearest chandlery to me is WM. 200 yards further on the same road is a small, private, B&M store. They have a better selection than WM. They have nicer staff -- that know the products. And they are 30-50% lower than WM on every product, every day of the week. They are usually within 10% of the best on line price.

Fawcets Marine in Annapolis. It doesn't get any better than that!

No relationship, just a phenomenally happy customer.
Our situation is slightly different - we have decent WM store and a number of smaller stores/companies around - from satellite coms, safety gear, rigging, hardware, and maintenance to boat dealers. All of them occupy a niche and co-exist nicely. I'm not going to VM to get rigging advice, but they have better selection of batteries, accessories and random items in stock than many other specialty shops. Lastly, their return policy is still pretty decent in this day and age.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:41   #118

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
It's a business selling retail. How anyone can "hate" an inanimate object is strange.

As for survivors, they are not only that but are the only chain marine business still alive in the U.S. which is a monumental accomplihment and we should be happy such an animal still exists.
People most certainly can hate an inanimate object. Beyond that, they can hate the decision-makers, the management and the employees of a business. Personally, I don't want to invest enough energy into them to work up any real hatred. But it's out there.

Saying we should be "happy" about a large corporation's survival seems a bit out of place with the admonishment that we can't "hate" them.

I don't really care how rich their stockholders are. If their business practices reduced the competition from local shops which met my needs; if they then raised prices and reduced selection; if they hire staff who are not knowledgeable or helpful, then, no, I'm not "happy."

Likewise, I don't care how much money they make selling Yeti coolers and high-end fashion. That is not my definition of a successful chandler.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:08   #119

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post

[I]People don't hate the inanimate object silly, they hate the business practices which result in less choice and higher prices within the marine chandlery segment. I hate that I have to go there to buy something I need.[/I]

They aren't in the business of competing with online retailers and their marketing strategy is not directed at bargain shopping sailboat owners. Again, nothing to hate" here.

Well, if they are not directing their business at sailboat owners, why drive competitors who are selling to that market segment out of business, is it just meanness? Hardly. They were in that business, competed effectively if ruthlessly, then found a more profitable segment and are basically abandoning the original chandlery in favor of trendy clothing and high priced non-sailboat equipment. Some hate them because they killed stores we needed and then said "screw it, we can do better with Nautica jumpers".

You think it is a monumental accomplishment to use a corporate war chest and cutthroat practices to drive out smaller competitors? It is simple, blatant, capitalism. Doesn't even take a brain, certainly does not take a good understanding of the marine chandlery business.
You know, the clothing segment and bozo powerboat accessory segment can go online as well. Then where will they be?

What they have done and are doing may be good for investors in the short term but bad for sailors and boaters. West Marine should simply divest itself of all the marine hardware business and go sell clothes. Good riddance.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:52   #120

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

C’m on! This is body bondo in vinyl ester.
We$t Marine in Traverse City, Michigan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC21D1F0-2FD3-4DE3-A8BE-F61165E56691.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	241802   Click image for larger version

Name:	856C0848-33D4-4E0B-A353-AFD67C927793.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	241803  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote