Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2021, 11:10   #121

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: West Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
C’m on! This is body bondo in vinyl ester.
We$t Marine in Traverse City, Michigan
And the same product in the quart size is $87 at Walmart, not much of a difference from the West price. If you'd rather use discount bondo instead of 3M, go for it.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:44   #122
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
It's a business selling retail. How anyone can "hate" an inanimate object is strange.

They aren't in the business of competing with online retailers and their marketing strategy is not directed at bargain shopping sailboat owners. Again, nothing to hate" here.

As for survivors, they are not only that but are the only chain marine business still alive in the U.S. which is a monumental accomplihment and we should be happy such an animal still exists.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:51   #123
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

they offer a discount for contractors but not for the little guys who pay their outrageous prices
Old 09-07-2021, 13:00   #124
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
they offer a discount for contractors but not for the little guys who pay their outrageous prices
No one is forced to pay outrageous prices, plus very few "contractors" of any size use WM. Like 7/11, you pay extra for their convenience. The WM next to my shop sits on extremely expensive Ft. Lauderdale real estate. I wouldn't want their overhead even at their prices.
Old 09-07-2021, 13:04   #125

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
And the same product in the quart size is $87 at Walmart, not much of a difference from the West price. If you'd rather use discount bondo instead of 3M, go for it.
Amazon $71.45. Still crazy money but way less than We$t. A small amount of resin compounded with clay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	585BEE43-359B-40E7-B716-25CFADAF93ED.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	241808  
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 13:09   #126

Quote:
Amazon $71.45. Still crazy money but way less than We$t. A small amount of resin compounded with clay.

+ $10.53 shipping.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 13:13   #127
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

When crazy money is a $16-$17 difference in this hobby, well, some people are going to be in for a shock.
Old 09-07-2021, 13:22   #128

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

I don't really care how rich their stockholders are. r.
Despite what you may think, there is no right or wrong here. It’s all about perspective. The stockholders care as equally little about what you care about. Hating it or them is childish - I assure you they don’t care what you think.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 13:30   #129
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

I can't even imagine how much WM spends on professional marketing companies to help them sort out where their real profits are. I do know this. I would be listening to them first.
Old 09-07-2021, 15:26   #130

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
So you have real dislike for West and a warm spot in your heart for Amazon? Or is it just the lowest cost is the winner. I wonder how many local cruisers and boaties Amazon hires.

As far as what the product is made from, just pick a product from someone besides 3M. Or for that matter, just buy 3M Bondo, it is much cheaper than the product you priced. Of course the Bondo is polyester resin and the 3M premium filler is vinyl ester resin.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 16:03   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Despite what you may think, there is no right or wrong here. It’s all about perspective. The stockholders care as equally little about what you care about. Hating it or them is childish - I assure you they don’t care what you think.
I'm sure the marketing dept of WM does care; a brand is a very important asset, and most brand owners care deeply what their pool of potential customers think about the brand. As I said before, I'm fairly certain that someone at WM is keeping tabs on threads like these, or would be if they were aware.

That being said, CF is a small corner of the boating world, and most of the complaints here seem to be from sailors, and as someone who's worked in/around the recreational marine sector...I know that sailors spend less than powerboaters... so WM would probably be more concerned if the complaining was more widespread and coming more from the market sector that spends more.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 17:38   #132

What percentage of US boaters buy something at West Marine at least twice a year? 95%?

While I buy elsewhere most of the time, I will go to West when I need something that day - sometimes just an odd size stainless screw to replace the one I lost in the bilge. And once I'm in the door I always grab a few more things. You get to $100 really fast.

Not a bad business model.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 22:44   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I'm sure the marketing dept of WM does care; a brand is a very important asset, and most brand owners care deeply what their pool of potential customers think about the brand. As I said before, I'm fairly certain that someone at WM is keeping tabs on threads like these, or would be if they were aware.

That being said, CF is a small corner of the boating world, and most of the complaints here seem to be from sailors, and as someone who's worked in/around the recreational marine sector...I know that sailors spend less than powerboaters... so WM would probably be more concerned if the complaining was more widespread and coming more from the market sector that spends more.
Cruisers can be such a sad, sorry bunch of nickel and dimers. Too many never go anywhere unless they are forced to by law or customs. Holding tanks are dumped in situ, if they even have one, garbage is put in some free can ashore, free wi-fi is a major concern and just buying the food they need to live is considered to be "putting big bucks back into the local economy."

If you think West Marine pads the price in your hometown you might try Budget Marine in Aruba for a comparison.

Here's the news: we do not pay enough to make local communities desire us. Yes, someone will come along pointing out this place or that as exceptions. But the big picture is that unless we are spending money we have no value.

The years when doing this as cheaply as possible is considered a success story are drawing to a close.
ixnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:29   #134

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixnax View Post
The years when doing this as cheaply as possible is considered a success story are drawing to a close.
A profound truth.

Anchorages are now mooring fields. Transient berths need to be reserved weeks in advance via Dockwa. Marinas are being bought up by Safe Harbors and made into resort destinations. Town docks are now municipal marinas.

Sigh.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:35   #135

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

Really good points, we cruisers are a bunch of cheap bastards

WM marketers have probably figured that out. If you have a racing sailboat on the other hand, they have whole isles of gear and priced quite competitively.

I'd be curious to find out which items are shoplifted the most at their stores
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine