Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2020, 10:25   #1

Boat: Allweather 26
Whale Flipper Pump

I have had two of these pumps and I like how they operate. Both pumps broke in the same place. The problem is the plastic lower housing breaking where the supply hose attaches. I admit that I am in Alaska and the breaks probably have to do with the cold temps and then brittle plastic. I don't mean water freezing and expanding just cold affecting the plastic. The plastic where the supply hose attaches is quite thin.

I have ordered a similar Fynspray model and I see that it has an easily replaceable hose attachment.
fritzdfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:36   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Whale Flipper Pump

We had a few of those on our previous boat as well. We ended up going with similar RV pumps for 1/2-1/3 the price. We have one (rv style) at our cabin as well which see far more extremes, the single most important part is during cold weather is to make sure the handle is set to drain and not hold prime. Also secure the supply hose as you’ll see it move when pumping, this can chase breakage at the barb through cyclic fatigue.
Been throwing around one of these knock off foot pumps as well:
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/sea-...ot-pump-517060
Reviews say they’re as good as the whale gushers for 1/3 the price.

Where in SE are you? Our boats down there and we’re stuck in Canada until this thing slows down.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:03   #3

Where in SE are you? Our boats down there and we’re stuck in Canada until this thing slows down.[/QUOTE]

We are in Gustavus "Gateway to Glacier Bay". It is a cold spring, boat is in the water but haven't used it much yet.
Old 02-04-2020, 13:21   #4
rbk

In Bartlett or Gustavus harbour? That dock gets pretty rough. We run out of Skagway. Ya it’s been a cold one thankfully, I don’t feel quite as bad about not being on the boat when it’s this cold. I haven’t read of any restrictions on water travel yet? Any buzz if they’re planning it? If we do get on the water this season it’s sure to be quiet.
Old 02-04-2020, 16:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
In Bartlett or Gustavus harbour? That dock gets pretty rough. We run out of Skagway. Ya it’s been a cold one thankfully, I don’t feel quite as bad about not being on the boat when it’s this cold. I haven’t read of any restrictions on water travel yet? Any buzz if they’re planning it? If we do get on the water this season it’s sure to be quiet.
The boat is on the NPS dock at Bartlett Cove. In the winter you can keep your boat on the dock for 10 days and then off for 24 hours. I haven't heard of any general recreational boating restrictions in Alaska. NPS though has closed their dock to any boat or float plane arriving other ports. So I can come and go but if I went to another port I couldn't come back to the dock.
Old 02-04-2020, 16:33   #6
rbk

Well let’s hope the few cases in the south east and north clear up quick and things can start to get back to normal. With no cruise ships this season some communities are going to need all the local tourism they can get. I’ll be glad to help out.

Tags
pump