Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 08:10   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Oddyssey 37 ft 2002
What are the service intervals for life rafts?

I have a solid case Plastimo off-shore life raft for 6 persons? I could not find a solid technical advice/manual for servicing periods. I have recommendations as annually, every 2 and every 3 years.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:16   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: What are the service intervals for life rafts?

Your raft doesn't have a service required date stamped on it?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:21   #3

It does. Annually. I don't understand and find a bit cheeky why selling adverts recommend 3 yrs service frequency and the service advices and stamps annually.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:49   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Can a Plastimo liferaft accept a 3-year servicing interval?

Yes, our liferaft structure is designed to accept a 3-year servicing interval. However, this is subject to national regulations that may exist. In addition, we recommend a yearly servicing if your liferaft is used on a professional vessel or stored/used in tropical climate areas (South America, Central America, West Indies, Florida, Texas, Louisiana, California, South Africa, Seychelles Islands, Reunion Island, Australia, New Zealand, South-Eastern Asia).
Or:

Quote:
In the absence of a national regulation on the frequency of servicing, your Plastimo liferaft must be serviced at 3-year intervals (for boats cruising in Europe)
If I remember my geography properly, which side of the Bosporus you are on decides if you're in Europe. Looks like Plastimo leaves it up to local regulation but allows 3-years in temperate climates, one-year in warmer/more-humid areas.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:20   #5

Thank you Dsanduril. All clear. Since my boat is not a commercial one, I will stick to 3 yrs frequency. I understand that I was quite a fool asking this question 11 yrs. later.
I live in the Anatolian side of the city. Taking your second quote into consideration, I will keep the boat in the European side from now on
Old 07-12-2014, 12:04   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

Yes, I think moving the boat that couple of kilometers should make the safety equipment much better

I, of course, will have to take up the one-year service since I am in California, with a climate from 10 to 30 degrees (with a very occasional foray down to 5 or up to 40) and low humidity. To my mind not so different from all of southern Europe, but clearly Plastimo has listed my location as too warm for a three-year service interval.

I am also curious about the specification of South Africa, when it seems to me that the rest of Africa is at least warmer, and in some locations much more humid than the southern tip. Perhaps South Africa has the only Plastimo dealer on the continent?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service