Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 08:15   #1

Boat: 1987 Island Packet 31
What Wind Instrument?

I have spent several hours perusing the internet for information and reviews around current wind speed and direction instruments on the market. The last forum I could dig up was in 2009 - 2010. I'm guessing things have changed a bit since then?

My question is more general - I want to know what the sailing community thinks about various wind speed and direction instruments on the market. I have a Standard Horizon WS100 that is no longer functional. I live on my IP-31 sailboat and plan to cruise to the Caribbean and Europe over the next few years, so it is important that the instrument has some longevity.

I don't necessarily need all the bells and whistles of fancy systems, but I have come across multiple different makes including Garmin, Raymarine, Maretron Ultrasonic, Navico and B&E systems. Wireless & Analog-vs-Digital debates.

I'm a fan of simple, analog over digital (though that isn't a deal-breaker). I like the idea of a wireless system but I'm not sure the cost is worth it, plus I've heard varying degrees of issues with these. Perhaps that technology has improved since the last reviews but it has been hard to find. A wired-setup is also intriguing, other than installation hassle, but again, I'm more interested in value and quality and what sailors are finding with their experiences.

Any thoughts would be most welcome and helpful.

s/v Bosco
Jake & Jill Adventures | Two Souls, One Voyage
challis0124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:30   #2

Re: What Wind Instrument?

My only experience is with the B&G Hornet AWI. The good news is that it has worked for 30 continuous years with only a few off duty in winter storage. That in itself is remarkable.. and 3 hurricanes to boot.

It did stop reporting for a while but that was because the connector needed to be cleaned of some corrosion and lubricated. Now its fine and quite sensitive and accurate.

It reports digital direction and speed and I have an analog direction for apparent wind... and with speed it and angle it computes true wind when moving.

I suspect wireless is the way to go as wires are on the way out anyway.

two thumbs up for the old B&G AWI.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:53   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I recently installed this system on my boat and have been happy. I don't think there is a better value as you get not only Wind but depth, speed, GPS and temp. When I looked into wind only, they were %75-%90 the price of this system.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...820&id=2680191
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:05   #4

That... is a great package!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:58   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I recently installed this system on my boat and have been happy. I don't think there is a better value as you get not only Wind but depth, speed, GPS and temp. When I looked into wind only, they were %75-%90 the price of this system.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...820&id=2680191
It is a somewhat hidden feature, but the GPS in that package also contains a rate compass - so you get heading too.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:06   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
It is a somewhat hidden feature, but the GPS in that package also contains a rate compass - so you get heading too.

Mark
Really! I had no idea. I thought my heading data was coming from my fluxgate compass through NMEA0183.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:09   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

Our Raymarine ST-60 only lasted 5 years and no sign of lightning either. If I recall it was like $900.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:11   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Well, it still could be. It would depend on which heading source you have chosen in the source setup.

BTW, while that GPS does have a rate compass in it, the data rate is not fast enough to use for ARPA radar, and is probably marginal for good autopilot performance. For those, you should be using a better one.

But it is a good backup compass, or primary on a boat without ARPA, and basically thrown in for free.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum, wind