Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2016, 17:23   #31

Boat: Sceptre 36
Re: Which tricolour/anchor light should I buy?

I had Orca Green - failed within 2 years and less than 40 hrs use. Would never use again!!! Cost a huge bundle and they would not stand behind it.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 17:27   #32

Boat: a sailing boat

We have used a tri colour LED bulb inside a tri colour top fitting. Bulb USD 30, the fitting was there already.

Happy with the result.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 17:51   #33
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The Orca Green Machine is for digging up **** I think you mean Orca Green Marine; they sell one for $400.-
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 19:16   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
What about "LopoLight" very smal and expensive, but TOP quality from Denmark!
I really wanted to like the Lopolight, but my bow bi-color failed within a year (the green section went dark, while the red remained bright). Lopo replaced that one free of charge, but then a year later the replacement developed an internal short of some sort. It wouldn't light and kept popping my circuit breaker. These were not wiring errors on my part, but actual internal failures.

I am now using a MarineBeam bi-color for my deck-level bow lights, and so far it's doing fine. I've hardly put any time on it though. My Optolamp Amazonia tri-color at the top of the mast has been going strong for over five years now.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 20:43   #35

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
I know nothing about this tricolor, so forgive my ignorance, but it seems like many nav lights using LEDs, particularly multiple small LEDs, have inaccurate cross-over angles. In the link that you provided, the image shows multiple LEDs on the port and starboard sides that are visible from dead ahead. It makes me wonder if the LEDs are sufficiently focused to keep from having a big red/green zone ahead.

The older vertical filament tricolors from Aquasignal, Hella and Peters and Bey had remarkably accurate angular cut-offs, and there was virtually no ambiguity as to which sector you were looking at.

Anyone notice this problem with some of the LED lights?

Chuck
These lights have extremely accurate "cut off zones" They are professionally designed, manufactured, and supported. They meet colregs for vessels up to 50m, and have been chosen for many major events, like;

OPTOLAMP was chosen for the races: "VENDÈE GLOBE"; "LA ROUTE DU RHUM"; "MINITRANSAT"; "TRANSAT JAQUES VABRE"; "GLOBAL CHALLENGE" – VDH "ADRIEN" Solo around the world record against winds and currents; Maude Fontenoy: North Atlantic row crossing; TRANSQUADRA, etc..

My own one has been on my boat for 5 years now, and shows no lens discoloration whatsover, and has not had any issues in over 10,000 NM.

Matt
Old 26-04-2016, 12:11   #36

Boat: Westerly Centaur, 26

My mast is down at the moment - which is why I'm taking the opportunty to change lights - and I shall certainly test everythng before it goes up again (with its new rigging).

Some (all?) of these lights are specified to conform to IMO rules and therefore must have accurate cut-offs and correct angles. Why would anyone buy - or therefore sell, or make - lights that don't conform?

Most of these lights seem ruinously expensive - I think the cheapest is about £140 - and are clearly intended for sailors with more money than they need. Isn't there anything reliable for we more impecunious mortals?
Old 26-04-2016, 14:17   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Phantom 40

I have an aquasignal 34 as well, I now have have a very noisy VHF. I have not confirmed that it is the light because it could also be the cable. I was impressed with the apparent quality of the Aquasignal but if it makes the VHF noisy then it's not much good. I am going to swap my VHF antenna with my AIS one to see if is still noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-04-2016, 21:11   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasick Steve View Post
Most of these lights seem ruinously expensive - I think the cheapest is about £140 - and are clearly intended for sailors with more money than they need.
Why write that polarizing **** here on CF? Hoist an oil lamp.
Old 27-04-2016, 03:20   #39

[QUOTE=Olddave;2106330]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I just installed an AquaSignal series 34... waiting for the mast to be stepped. Looks well made and easy to install.[/QUOTE

Testing while the mast is horizontal is wise. Same for fitting one with mast standing, the light and wiring can be bench tested. That's a little tip that I picked up on this forum!! My rigger wishes he had thought of it before having to go back up and fit a replacement light!
Hope that helps someone.
Dave
Tested on the horizontal... Everything works... stepped this afternoon.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 03:22   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASHMIR View Post
I have an aquasignal 34 as well, I now have have a very noisy VHF. I have not confirmed that it is the light because it could also be the cable. I was impressed with the apparent quality of the Aquasignal but if it makes the VHF noisy then it's not much good. I am going to swap my VHF antenna with my AIS one to see if is still noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Try replacing the VHF cable to rg213... I did and will see if there is noise... test will come shortly.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 04:22   #41

@ Jedi
No need to be offensive.

A hurricane or other oil lamp is probably not bright enough for an anchor light these days, in many places. I might well rig a temporary LED anchor light in the rigging though, when I need it. I'd still need a tricolour for sailing though.
Seasick Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 07:02   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasick Steve View Post
@ Jedi
No need to be offensive.

A hurricane or other oil lamp is probably not bright enough for an anchor light these days, in many places. I might well rig a temporary LED anchor light in the rigging though, when I need it. I'd still need a tricolour for sailing though.
It's called defensive

Navlights, even at $400 for a combined 3-color/anchor/strobe are worth every cent of it. It may not fit your budget, but that doesn't mean that other people who do buy it have too much money. I buy gear like that and find that remark from you, that I would have too much money offensive. I would love to pay much less for it, don't have too much money at all, but I do recognize the value of a rock-solid light and will have to save the money somewhere else (no bar tabs for a while for example); I have 40 years behind me of replacing bulbs, cleaning contacts etc. up the masthead because of lousy quality lamps/fittings which makes one appreciate a good lamp that just works.

I would not recommend to buy anything less than the quality from a brand like Hella or Aquasignal, if you can live with the RF interference from those. If those are still outside your budget, then I suggest to find something in a place like "Sailorman" who do 2nd hand or bank-closure inventories etc. although the good deals are all gone I think.
Old 27-04-2016, 11:26   #43

Well, I apologise if I offended you, too.

I've actually found the NASA one on ebay (actually from a wholesaler, I suspect) for £58 inc. delivery - I think that's about $90 ish. But I don't like the look of the little mounting pole - not sure it would survive a gale!
Old 27-04-2016, 11:31   #44

Boat: Liberty 458

We have a lunasea led tricolor. There is another thread with additional reviews at

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=105790

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 11:47   #45

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

My Optolamp has zero radio interference, and I use both a lot...
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor