Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2014, 16:52   #1

Boat: Stevens 47
Winchrite battery operated winch handle

Are these winchrite battery operated winch handles strong enough to pull the main on a Stevens 47?

We're cruisers, not racers, so it's not like we need it constantly, I'm looking at using it for the main, the foresail when needed.

We are considering installing an electric winch...but wow...$$$$$, so looking at alternatives. I know about the battery operated drills, but I would really like to know if the Winchrite will cut it for us.

Who has one, and how good are they really?

Thanks!!!!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 18:34   #2

Boat: 40'
Re: Winchrite battery operated winch handle

Works fine on our Tartan 40 fully battened main. Really a bit too slow, It's faster to jump the halyard at the mast and have my someone tail thru the clutch and then crank the last bit by hand. But on a day when it's better to keep both of us in the cockpit this works quite well.

Also has earned its keep hauling me up the mast (175 lb) which would be too hard for my wife to do by hand. (Of course instruction #1 in the manual is not to do this.)
ChasD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 00:16   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Gunk, what is it about the Milwaukee drill approach that you don't like? It is cheaper and more powerful than any of the "real" electric winch handles... plus you can drill holes with it!

We have only had ours about a year and are very impressed with its power and usefulness. Mostly use it for furling our genoa (needed for every tack or gybe due to the Solen rig), but Ann now uses it to haul me up the mast rather than using the windlass as done before. It will whip our big main up far faster than I can haul/winch it, but I don't normally use it for that. I need the exercise... And it will sheet in the genoa without complaining, but again we don't often use it that way.

Anyhow, we are happy with it, and wonder why you rule it out?

Jim
Old 29-09-2014, 02:25   #4

Boat: Stevens 47

Hi Jim!

Trusting all is well!

The drill is not ruled out at all, I am looking for real world experience with the winch rite.

How/where do you store the drill in the cockpit when sailing? Do you carry a spare battery in the charger? Does Ann find it heavy to lift or tote around? Trying to look at all the options and how best to spend the boat bucks

Gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 04:41   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've got a Milwaukee because I'm lazy, an extra battery will charge in in an hour or so, very fast, the battery also has a LED indicator that shows state of charge. It's one heck of a drill too, it can be used with and without the angle adapter, the angle adapter is geared, so that the gear ratio can be changed depending on orientation of the angle adapter, I'd like to see the gear ratio dropped though, if I could give up a little speed and gain a little more torque that would be ideal.
Only thing I will use a winch handle for is trimming, the Milwaukee is capable of that as it has a very good variable speed function.
I'm a little leery of it as I'm a beginner and I assume it has enough torque to bust things in the hands of someone not real experienced like me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 05:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Gunk, what is it about the Milwaukee drill approach that you don't like? It is cheaper and more powerful than any of the "real" electric winch handles... plus you can drill holes with it!

We have only had ours about a year and are very impressed with its power and usefulness. Mostly use it for furling our genoa (needed for every tack or gybe due to the Solen rig), but Ann now uses it to haul me up the mast rather than using the windlass as done before. It will whip our big main up far faster than I can haul/winch it, but I don't normally use it for that. I need the exercise... And it will sheet in the genoa without complaining, but again we don't often use it that way.

Jim
I also think that the Milwaukee is a very good tool to have.
The main problem that I see with it is designing a storage solution that still leaves the drill available at a moments notice.
Where do you store yours?
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 06:31   #7

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru

I have a Stevens 47 and a Milwaukee (named it Brutus) like others have said. I have run all halyards back to the cockpit so no mast mounted winches. We hoist the main on the port side primary, runs up smoothly and fast. When I looked at the winchrite it did not have an external battery. Like the ability to have a spare battery on the charger.

Brutus lives in the cockpit while sailing and trims the main and jib sometimes furls the jib. My wife takes me up mast with it. Not sure how it would work lugging it to the mast, the Winchrite product may weigh less.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 06:46   #8

Boat: Hunter 340

I bought the Winchrite about 3 years ago and it works great. My mast is 56 ft. above the waterline and the Winchrite runs the sail (or me in a bosuns chair) up with ease. Also comes with a handy case for storage.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 07:10   #9

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Ditto Milwaukee, solid and dependable. Anyone know of a source for spare winch bits?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 07:20   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

By storage, at anchor it's below, when sailing I just leave it on a cockpit cushion. It's a pretty significant piece of metal, I wouldn't want it on Gelcoat or similar surface, if I had to put it on fiberglass I's want it on some form of cushion, maybe a piece of exercise mat, of a kids kickboard of something.
Old 29-09-2014, 08:55   #11

I am new to this thread, so pardon my question. I totally missed out on the Milwaukee drill discussion. Which model is recommended? How do you connect the drill to the winch? Is there some kind of bit?
Thanks
Jimholden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 10:15   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

I know quite a few Winchrite owners who's units have failed or just perform slowly/poorly, and to me they have always appeared flimsy and not particularly powerful or durable. Most I know have converted to the drill solution and are pretty happy with it. Obviously, as shown in this thread, there are those who have had good luck with Winchrites so YMMV.

The Milwaukee drill you ideally want: Milwaukee 0721-21 V28 28-Volt Lithium-Ion 1/2-Inch Cordless Right Angle Drill/Driver Kit. It's a heavy beast, but it's not gonna break on you that's for sure.

I believe you can buy the bit that has the sextagonal winch handle fitting on it somewhere, but I don't know.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 10:41   #13

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Jim what model number is that Milwaukee? I want to get one and try it on my windlass.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 10:45   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are several sources, here is one. There are issues with just chucking a bit into the chuck, I believe there is a pin that may shear.
I have the "ultimate cranker" which replaces the chuck which keeps weight down and won't break
http://www.thecranker.com/
Old 29-09-2014, 11:08   #15

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I usually send one of my sons aloft, but now, if I get one of these hmmm. I don't need it for the winches...ketch rig lowers the loads plenty. But that 230' of chain and 60lb CQR could use a little help. Will need to use the chuck and a big impact socket on the retaining nut on the windlass low speed drive. That nut will wind up real tight on the shaft unless I build an adapter. I have no idea how much torque I really need but if this drill will haul a big guy up the mast at 25:1 from the winch, I might find some utility from this drill.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, winch