Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2022, 00:28   #31

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Oydssey 40.3
Re: Zero Breeze Mark 2 air conditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
An example would be the Velair line by Uflex. Made in Italy, so not inexpensive.
Thanks! I've looked up a few videos and this looks like the proper thing. Quite expensive though
Elcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 18:19   #32

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I have an Ecoflow Waze in front of me now

Here's a sneak peak that seems accurate from what I can see.

https://bestportablesolargenerators....r-conditioner/

They're listing the MSRP as $1499.
Old 16-05-2022, 11:21   #33

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41

Very interested in other experiences with Zero Breeze Mark 2, or the newer Ecoflow product.

My use case is just for sleeping while plugged in at the dock in the few hot days we have here in the Great Lakes, so this could work very well for me.
aisleorwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 22:35   #34

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow View Post
Very interested in other experiences with Zero Breeze Mark 2, or the newer Ecoflow product.

My use case is just for sleeping while plugged in at the dock in the few hot days we have here in the Great Lakes, so this could work very well for me.
I ordered the Ecoflow Wave and have a Zero Breeze. My experience with the ZB us about a 10 degree drop in air temp and would ideally like more. The air coming out of it is much cooler though so if you have it blowing on you directly, you will really feel it.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 07:33   #35

Thumbs up Re: Zero Breeze Mark 2 air conditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
I ordered the Ecoflow Wave and have a Zero Breeze. My experience with the ZB us about a 10 degree drop in air temp and would ideally like more. The air coming out of it is much cooler though so if you have it blowing on you directly, you will really feel it.
Thanks, that's helpful.
My concern with the Ecoflow Wave is the shape will be more difficult to store, and there's a big difference in 38+ pounds vs. 17 for the ZB.

The flip side is, will the ZB be powerful enough for a 41 foot cabin? I do have complete blackout curtains and the boat does stay pretty cool with everything closed up.

Will be very interested to hear your feedback after comparing the two!
Old 17-05-2022, 08:21   #36

Quote:
Following with interest. Please keep us updated.

I’m in the same area/temperate climate as you. On previous boats, we found that we only use the AC a handful of days per year. Dropping the temperature a few degrees and pulling humidity while at the dock is all I’m looking for. I’m curious if those 4000 btu will be just enough. I would rather not go to the expense of a marine system, as well as permanently lose storage space that they take. A “portable” home unit is extremely inefficient and the are heavy and bulkier than their “portable” designation would lend one to believe. Ideally, I’d love to find a small unit that will just sit in the cockpit and pull warm air out of cabin and blow in the cold via a two hose connector. This leaves the compressor noise, heat and condensation outside.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 09:41   #37

Quote:
Thanks, that's helpful.
My concern with the Ecoflow Wave is the shape will be more difficult to store, and there's a big difference in 38+ pounds vs. 17 for the ZB.

The flip side is, will the ZB be powerful enough for a 41 foot cabin? I do have complete blackout curtains and the boat does stay pretty cool with everything closed up.

Will be very interested to hear your feedback after comparing the two!
Which cabin are you shooting for? If just a bedroom cabin, then maybe but unlikely. You can google my boat but where I use it is our aft cabin which is just a bit wider and couple feet longer than a queen mattress but the cabin top swoops down so not a whole lot of volume. I have a spot for my ZB that I’m hoping the EF will work but we will see. If not, time to make something for it to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Following with interest. Please keep us updated.

I’m in the same area/temperate climate as you. On previous boats, we found that we only use the AC a handful of days per year. Dropping the temperature a few degrees and pulling humidity while at the dock is all I’m looking for. I’m curious if those 4000 btu will be just enough. I would rather not go to the expense of a marine system, as well as permanently lose storage space that they take. A “portable” home unit is extremely inefficient and the are heavy and bulkier than their “portable” designation would lend one to believe. Ideally, I’d love to find a small unit that will just sit in the cockpit and pull warm air out of cabin and blow in the cold via a two hose connector. This leaves the compressor noise, heat and condensation outside.
So the Ecoflow Wave doesn’t have a IPX rating but the Zerobreeze does. That said, I wouldn’t want to be keeping such an expensive piece of equipment outside. The ZB can do as you say as they are working on a second intake hose so you can keep it outside the cabin. On the Wave, this isn’t yet possible. There’s an attachment for the cooling output but not the front input. I suspect they will make something or the community will 3D print something for this to work (Zerobreeze started like this). One note on the Wave, it doesn’t need to drain if under 70% humidity. The moisture will be released with the exhaust hose.
Old 17-05-2022, 18:48   #38

Quote:
So the Ecoflow Wave doesn’t have a IPX rating but the Zerobreeze does. That said, I wouldn’t want to be keeping such an expensive piece of equipment outside. Agree 100%. I was just referencing a “wish-for” type of unit that sits outside the cabin and cools via hoses to a portlight . If you look on the internet for industrial spot AC units… just wanting something similar The ZB can do as you say as they are working on a second intake hose so you can keep it outside the cabin. That would be great, but the ZB is just too small. That’s what perked my interest when I saw the Wave On the Wave, this isn’t yet possible. There’s an attachment for the cooling output but not the front input. I suspect they will make something or the community will 3D print something for this to work (Zerobreeze started like this). One note on the Wave, it doesn’t need to drain if under 70% humidity. The moisture will be released with the exhaust hose.
The Wave is a great compact size, and I think might JUST be enough btu. Alas… I’ve spent a lot of boat-bucks on stuff… but $1200 for what is essentially a 120v portable AC unit (I don’t need battery powered, as our need is when it’s hot and stuffy at the dock) is not going to fly for me. I can buy something twice as powerful, that’s only a bit larger, weight and size wise… for $300 - $325 all day long. Their market is really the folks that want to run on battery, and tie in with the rest of their catalogue. I suppose I’d be willing to spend $800 or so (max!) to get a compact unit like that… but $1200 (and that’s 20% off!!)… nope.

Please keep us updated. Maybe I’ll get less cranky and more desperate!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 07:56   #39

Quote:
Which cabin are you shooting for? If just a bedroom cabin, then maybe but unlikely. You can google my boat but where I use it is our aft cabin which is just a bit wider and couple feet longer than a queen mattress but the cabin top swoops down so not a whole lot of volume. I have a spot for my ZB that I’m hoping the EF will work but we will see. If not, time to make something for it to work.
I was hoping it could work for the whole boat, similar to what Rohan's photo showed in the first post in this thread. (Granted, that's a 36' boat and mine is 41'). Not expecting it to get the boat down to 65 degrees on a 100 degree day, but just looking to make it comfortable for sleeping while at the dock.
Old 18-05-2022, 21:46   #40

Quote:
I was hoping it could work for the whole boat, similar to what Rohan's photo showed in the first post in this thread. (Granted, that's a 36' boat and mine is 41'). Not expecting it to get the boat down to 65 degrees on a 100 degree day, but just looking to make it comfortable for sleeping while at the dock.
I don’t think it will cool the whole boat and bring noticeable temperature changes. You will feel cool are and the air coming out would be very cool but there’s just not enough capacity.
Old 02-06-2022, 13:44   #41

Well I decided to order the ZB Mark 2.
By the way, got $80 off with the discount code "HOBOTECH" for anyone who is going to make the purchase.
I decided to go with the one battery option. We'll see how it goes and I'll report back!
Old 01-01-2024, 11:27   #42

They are coming out with the Zero Breeze Mark 3. 5200 btu! double the output and still the same size and weight. They are currently pre selling them on a funding page. Funding is way over target but they still have some available. Shipping is expected 4/24. presale comes at a nice discount and and bunch of free accessories and an additional year warranty. the new model can also charge battery while running or be hooked up to external 12v. The unit on high uses more power than can be supplied by 12v, so it supplements it with attached battery. This is should be able to run 12 hours on a charge with small 12v supplement. FYI 5200btu is size of a small window air conditioner used in a home.
Whatta Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 12:45   #43

Thanks for that update, sounds promising!

We have had generally good luck with the Mark 2, but we are in the Great Lakes and use it less than 5 times per season. And have only used it while at the dock on shore power.
As expected, it will NOT cool the whole boat down, but it's great for cooling off 1 cabin for sleeping and for keeping the boat at a reasonable temperature when it's hot and rain prevents you from opening hatches and windows.

Considering the alternative of spending $7k for installing A/C, this is a great alternative for our use case. Certainly won't work for everyone though.
Old 01-01-2024, 17:39   #44

I have the mark two and Ecoflow Wave 2. I can run both off my battery bank and they do a decent job of cooling a room.
Old 01-01-2024, 18:13   #45

Boat: Imexus 28

Also use a zero breeze Mk 2 just for primarily cooling a small double berth sleeping area curtained off on extreme tropical nights. Works for that and blowing some cold dehumidified air over the dinette but that’s pretty much all it’s good for.
The MK3 may be better I feel with larger btu and a heating function but having already forked out for a (deeply Black Friday discounted) Mk2 a year ago and it seeing only 10 uses to date I will just stay with it.
The MK3 is also slightly larger and I already had to enlarge my storage areas opening to squeeze in the Mk2!
Small is good when your chosen cruising yacht is only 28 foot long and there are two of you with occasional guests onboard as well!
It does very neatly store out of the way in an old unused Ryobi tool bag in just part of a compartment designed for a toilet waste tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7378.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	284959   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7394.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	284960  

Grith is offline   Reply With Quote