Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2021, 20:12   #1

Cruising Guide Suggestions for NE coast, NY too.

Based in Narragansett bay, planning to cruise north and south from there over the summer. I'd like a paper cruising guide on the boat, and would like some suggestions? The Bildner guides seem popular on Amazon, but is from 2009. The maptech guides also look popular and nice with the spiral bindings.

Has anyone tried the kindle maptechs? Seems like they wouldn't be very convenient. Especially on a paper-white...

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:35   #2

Re: Cruising Guide Suggestions for NE coast, NY too.

Hiya, Cowboy!

In a recent thread on Cruising the Southern Shore of New England, dfelsent in Post #9 recommends Eldridges (tide & pilot guide):

Itinerary for Southern NE Coast
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...st-248847.html

For more of a Cruising Guide, it looks like there's just one of note/popularity (big places like Defender tend to provide only bestsellers):

Maptech Embassy's New England Coast
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=4569960

We have a similar local cruising guide for Lake Ontario. The high-level pictures of the harbours and their entrances are really useful, as well as the sprial rings, so you can leave the Guide open to the page you need - folded back onto itself so it only takes up the space of an 8.5 x 11" page on a cockpit seat, versus some sort of book that one might struggle to keep open while piloting.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:31   #3

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

For Maine and East.

https://www.mainecoastguide.com/shop...urtis-rindlaub

And there is

A cruising guide to the new england coast

First out in 1938 and updated up through 2002.
Descriptions of geography are good, obviously some things are outdated.

I’d supplement with the Maptech guide. Which has its own issues with outdated info, as all guides do.

Those guides above don’t need to be replaced often.

Eldridges gets replaced every year. It’s got tide and current tables.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 14:19   #4

Thank you for the suggestions. I was gifted a 2020 Eldridge and that made it clear I wanted a 2021, so I have that.

The Maine guide looks great. Especially the storm anchorages part. Does maptech cover that? Being able to find safe harbor is something that weighs on my mind when I wander.

- AT
Old 09-04-2021, 16:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I was gifted a 2020 Eldridge and that made it clear I wanted a 2021, so I have that.

The Maine guide looks great. Especially the storm anchorages part. Does maptech cover that? Being able to find safe harbor is something that weighs on my mind when I wander.

- AT

As far as storm anchorages, I usually look at the geography, weather, and the chart.
Then look at holding ground.

I have to admit I don’t actually own a copy of that Maine guide. I’ve been sailing there since before it was written, but I will buy one this year because I can always learn something new. The excerpts look fantastic and accurate.
It was HIGHLY recommended to me by an old friend who I truly trust. He’s that guy who if he says “I’ll meet you in four years and three weeks on the corner of xxx” he is there or dead.
I grew up with its predecessor the “cruising guide to the New England coast. “

When I go south of Boston I use the maptech/embassy guide.

When I go east I’m mostly in familiar waters.
Mostly. South it’s mostly familiar waters too but not from my childhood.

And always Eldridge’s. My dad (who lives in Maine) has a 100+ year old copy. Hard bound. Dunno where he got it, maybe from his dad. No tide and current tables, but good pilotage info.

Reminds me I’ve got to buy the 2021 Eldridge’s tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2021, 16:25   #6

By the way the one page in Eldridge about making a passage from Buzzards Bay to Long Island Sound with a fair tide is worth its weight in gold.
I made Newport to Marblehead through the Canal in 18 hours, solo, in a 38’ sailboat by using that advice plus the tide and current tables and some judicious planning.
Old 09-04-2021, 16:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
By the way the one page in Eldridge about making a passage from Buzzards Bay to Long Island Sound with a fair tide is worth its weight in gold.
I made Newport to Marblehead through the Canal in 18 hours, solo, in a 38’ sailboat by using that advice plus the tide and current tables and some judicious planning.
I know exactly the page you are talking about. Just saw it last night. When I was gifted the book, I didn't use it, I just tossed it into the onboard library. Navionics has all that, what do I need a book for? A couple days ago I took the time to thumb through it and the pilotage and current overviews are great. And the chart layout of the currents and times paints a picture that I just can't get from navionics.

Regarding storm anchorages, I'm ok at "seeing" them on the map, but local knowledge is always top. For instance, I thought great salt pond on block would be great for riding out Eta. It sucked, because the North part of the island is very low.

- AT

Tags
cruising