Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2010, 23:43   #1

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Exclamation 'Deep Water' Tonight SBS Australia

I loved the book “A Voyage for Madmen” and can’t wait to see the documentary tonight Tuesday 23rd October on SBS Australia. SBS is our community multicultural TV station, so this is in no way intended as a commercial advertisement.

http://www.sbs.com.au/schedule ,
"Deep Water is the amazing true story of the first Golden Globe non-stop round-the-world yacht race initiated by the Sunday Times newspaper in Britain in 1968. It portrays individual endeavour at its most isolated and extreme, set against a canvas of terrifying seas. Described as one of the last century's most extraordinary stories on the high seas, it follows nine men competing to be the first to sail alone and non-stop around the world. (From the UK, in English and French, English subtitles) (Documentary) WS"

Old 26-10-2010, 00:26   #2

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Thanks for that Shane, will watch. Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 00:52   #3

Boat: Traditional 30
If you liked the Docco, get a copy of "the strange last voyage of Ddonald Crowhurst". It should be available at boat books etc. Its basically the story of the Teinmouth Electron and Crowhursts subsequent demise.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 02:47   #4

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
I loved the book “A Voyage for Madmen” and can’t wait to see the documentary tonight Tuesday 23rd October on SBS Australia. SBS is our community multicultural TV station, so this is in no way intended as a commercial advertisement.
Great book.
We had just seen part of the promo on SBS, and I picked up my computer to check it out further... and there was your thread!
Should be good.
Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 02:49   #5

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
That would be Tuesday the 26th?..... yes it is on tonight at 10pm.
Thanks for letting us know
cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 03:49   #6

Boat: Peterson 46
Bl*&^dy cruisers

Quote:

http://www.sbs.com.au/schedule ,
"Deep Water is the amazing true story of the first Golden Globe non-stop round-the-world yacht race initiated by the Sunday Times newspaper in Britain in 1968. It portrays individual endeavour at its most isolated and extreme, set against a canvas of terrifying seas. Described as one of the last century's most extraordinary stories on the high seas, it follows nine men competing to be the first to sail alone and non-stop around the world. (From the UK, in English and French, English subtitles) (Documentary) WS"

Shane. me old china plate.....Buy a freakin calendar

Today is Tuesday 26th.

Is it on tonight?

rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 18:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
Shane. me old china plate.....Buy a freakin calendar

Today is Tuesday 26th.

Is it on tonight?
Sorry folks,

Half the reason I am posting so much is because I want to keep my grammar and typing up to scratch just in case I decide to go find a real job. Then look at the mistakes I am making. I even had a mate coming up to visit me for an event over the weekend and did the same thing. Maybe I still need to take it easy for a while. Either that or stop using the miniature calendar on my computer and go get my glasses checked .

The other bad was that I didn’t find the documentary as enthralling as the book and fell asleep before the midway mark. I will have to watch it again (VHS), but am also looking forward to reading the personal accounts of the two who made it and the sad story of one who did not.
Old 26-10-2010, 21:17   #8

I have been running around for a few days so decided to sit back and re-watch the show. It is just such a sad sombre story that concentrates on Donald Crowhurst. No wonder I dozed off.
Old 26-10-2010, 21:47   #9

Boat: PETERSON 44
deep water.The movie focused tightly on crowhurst and left out the really good stories of sailors who had some real experience. So Crowhurst seems acceptable due to his financial troubles lack of experience and unreal deadline. On another thread Christopher McCandless is beat up while he suffered from most likely from poisoning from a bacteria on a potato seed. He was not deceptive. I understand the tragedy of crowhurst but can't reconcile the difference of acceptance of crowhurst whille mcCandless gets layed out as a rich kid who was clueless. dissapointed. the book a voyage for madmen was a good book.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 23:32   #10

Boat: San Juan 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
The movie focused tightly on crowhurst and left out the really good stories of sailors who had some real experience.
Deep Water was really only about Crowhurst's voyage. The other information was just for background and contrast. They explored Knox-Johnson and Moitessier somewhat, but if you're expecting a complete documentary about the Golden Globe race and and in depth look at all the sailors involved, you've come to the wrong place. Deep Water is a psychological documentary about a person's voyage from hope and optimism to despair, deceit, insanity, and death.

To me the film is a look at the quite logical causes for a person's descent into madness. When you have no way out, you will bend your own reality until something absolutely insane makes perfect sense. Donald had no way out other than to construct an elaborate fantasy in his head where this life was a battle between him and the sea, on the sea's terms, but in the next life, it would be on his terms.
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 23:39   #11

Boat: Peterson 46
Quote:
I have been running around for a few days so decided to sit back and re-watch the show. It is just such a sad sombre story that concentrates on Donald Crowhurst. No wonder I dozed off.
Yeah I agree Shane. [sorry for diggin ya in the ribs]

How about Moitessier(?) who just kept on and Knox-Johnston gave the prize money the the widow!

These guys were the old school.
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 23:41   #12

Boat: PETERSON 44
Crowhurst made bad choices had no experience blahhh... Not a hero just an unfortunate that sucked himself down and lied. I understand in some way how everyhting got deep but he had choices. His was a bad one. there were better story's much better.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 00:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
Yeah I agree Shane. [sorry for diggin ya in the ribs] How about Moitessier(?) who just kept on and Knox-Johnston gave the prize money the the widow! These guys were the old school.
[Don’t worry about the dig in the ribs bit; like I said that is the second time I have got it wrong of late using that tiny little bloody calendar!]

I am really going to have to move Moitessier’s book to the top of my Amazon wish list with Knox-Johnston not too far behind. A Voyage from Madmen gives a decent insight into these characters, but like anything it is good to go back to a firsthand source. This kind of also makes me wonder why no one has published Crowhurst’s last philosophical ramblings. From the few excerpts I have heard or read they seem morbidly interesting.
Old 27-10-2010, 00:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Crowhurst made bad choices had no experience blahhh... Not a hero just an unfortunate that sucked himself down and lied. I understand in some way how everyhting got deep but he had choices. His was a bad one. there were better story's much better.
With all due respect I really do not agree that he was “bad”. Instead, I really liked the way his wife Clare looked on his predicament in the documentary,

“But people have to dream. I think Donald needed that and he had a right to have it”

If you read some of his last exerts from his log he was a sincere man of genuineness who tried to reconcile himself with his god and conscience before he committed himself to the deep. I personally found his story and demise very sad.
Old 27-10-2010, 03:05   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:

I am really going to have to move Moitessier’s book to the top of my Amazon wish list with Knox-Johnston not too far behind.
I have just finished reading RKJs latest book about his Velux 5 adventure of sailing a modern yacht around the world and his battles with modern technology. Quite entertaining.

Interestingly I bumped into him last month as he was taking his grand children out sailing in a rather pretty little yawl day sailer from the same marina we sail from. Wish I had the book with me to get it signed.

Quite agree, old school, especially to give the £5k prize away like that.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia