Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 08:41   #16

Boat: Morris 28
Great ideas people.
NewMoon - what are you - a librarian ?!
tellytulear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 18:32   #17

Boat: B24
Also, I forgot to add:

Godforsaken Sea: Derek Lundy -- humbling, but wonderful to read...
Old 19-03-2010, 04:41   #18

Sailing alone around the world by Joshua Slocum
JulietMylaOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 13:38   #19

Boat: Sceptre 36
High Endeavours by Miles Clark. Amazing biograpy of the Smeetons.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 21:54   #20

Boat: Taswell 56, 1991, Faith
Sailing Faith: The Long Way Home by Gregg A. Granger. A captivating tale of relations in one family's circumnavigation.
Faith of Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 09:17   #21

Boat: Looking...
I'll second "In the Heart of the Sea" by Nathan Philbrick. I just finished it this weekend, what a tragic story. It tells about what happened to the whaleship Essex after it was rammed and sunk by a sperm whale in 1820 in the middle of the Pacific.

"The Best Life Money Can't Buy" by Andy Deering. Part inspiration, part adventure. Involves sailing the Pacific and living in Alaska.

"Getting Stone With Savages" by Maarten Troost. Hilarious travelogue from living in Vanuatu & Fiji.
Old 30-03-2010, 12:10   #22

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
My favorite blog read is s/v Sereia (especially their old site when they were one the go) Great photos, hilarious writer, and some fun videos too.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 21:55   #23

Boat: Taswell 56, 1991, Faith
Following our four and a half year circumnavigation, where we had opportunity to look at the world from beyond America's borders, and another two years authoring my book, I cannot afford to be shy in its promotion. Take a look - I guarantee it - literally. If you don't like it, send it back with a note why (All authors need feedback so this is part of the deal), and I'll refund your money, in addition to any shipping fee I might have charged you. Visit Sailing Faith: Home Page for details on the book and how to order it.
Faith of Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 23:59   #24

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Occupation Circumnavigator - Lars Hassler.
Just finished reading it. Very well written and informative. Published in 2009 so reasonably current. He took 10 years and many deviations funding the lifestyle with a stream of paying crew. He used a 50 ft Beneteau.
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 00:06   #25

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA
Asking about my favorite sailing book is like asking what flavor of ice cream I like best. It depends on the moment, but Sterling Haydens "Wanderer" has to be near the top, not just for the content, which is impressive, but for the author who was a real one of a kind.

Here is a brief excerpt from his Wikipedia biography. For the complete bio see:

Sterling Hayden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Hayden was a genuine adventurer and man of action, not dissimilar from many of his movie parts. He ran away to sea at 15, as a ship's boy. His first job was on a schooner en route to Balboa Beach, California from New London, Connecticut. Later, he was a fisherman on the Grand Banks of Newfoundland, ran a charter yacht, and served as a fireman on eleven trips to Cuba aboard a steamer. He skippered a trading schooner in the Caribbean after earning his master's license, and in 1937 he served as mate on a world cruise of the schooner Yankee. After serving as sailor and fireman on larger vessels and sailing around the world several times, he was awarded his first command aged 22, skippering a square rigger from Gloucester, Massachusetts, to Tahiti in 1938."

Here also is a review of Wanderer from Amazon:

"Since its publication in 1963 Sterling Hayden's autobiography, "Wanderer", has been surrounded by controversy. The author was at the peak of his earning power as a movie star when he suddenly quit. He walked out on Hollywood, walked out of a shattered marriage, defied the courts, and, broke and an outlaw, set sail with his four children in the schooner "Wanderer" -bound for the South Seas.

His attempt to escape launches this autobiography. It is the candid, sometimes painfully revealing confession of a man who scrutinized his every self-defeat and self-betrayal in the unblinking light of conscience. It is also the triumph of a complex and contradictory man, a rebel and a seeker, undefeated by his failure to find himself in love, adventure, drink, or escape to the South Seas."

An amazing guy! His sailing experiences were only a small part of a truly larger than life character. Arms smuggler, sailor, OSS operative, (reluctant) movie actor, author. He really did it all.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 13:59   #26

An Embarrassment of Mangoes and The Motion of the Ocean are my favs for cruising.
Chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 14:36   #27

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith of Holland View Post
Following our four and a half year circumnavigation, where we had opportunity to look at the world from beyond America's borders, and another two years authoring my book, I cannot afford to be shy in its promotion. Take a look - I guarantee it - literally. If you don't like it, send it back with a note why (All authors need feedback so this is part of the deal), and I'll refund your money, in addition to any shipping fee I might have charged you. Visit Sailing Faith: Home Page for details on the book and how to order it.

Just ordered your book Greg, loved your blog. My mom wrote a book about cruising around the world so totally understand your lack of shyness, it is hard for the lone author to get a chance to promote their book.

I love the Roth's books. Also one of the best examples of seamnship ever (IMHO) is the accounts of Shackleton (sorry not a crusing book).

I like this blog, Nine of Cups they have sailed over 60,000 miles so you can imagine the stories.

Cheers,
Erika
Old 15-05-2010, 15:34   #28

One of my favorites:

Amazon.com: Innocents at Sea: The Sailing Misadventures of Two at…
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 21:20   #29

Boat: Currently boatless
I'm in the middle of reading (and loving):

The Motion of the Ocean: 1 Small Boat, 2 Average Lovers, and a Woman's Search for the Meaning of Wife by Janna Cawrse Esarey.

Have you read this blog? Worth going all of the way to the beginning:

Syzygy Sailing
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 21:59   #30
Ita

Boat: CAL 36
If you can read Spanish, Hasta Donde Me Lleve El Viento (Wherever the wind may carry me) by Eduardo Rejduch.

He got an 8 mts sailboat and a plastic sextant, and been living aboard around the world for 25 years.