Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 04:50   #31
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn
"Do or Do not. There is no try."
Well done, young Jedi. I can feel the force is strong in this one

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 15:33   #32

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Please help me find this: Bruce Van Sant;

Good lord, I just read this thread and had no idea we were sitting on a gold mine! We bought our copy just a couple of years ago at some regular, expected book price (don't remember, but I would not have spent over $30).

The book mostly just reinforces common sense and repeats the adage to wait for the weather window. And the book is mostly for those who refuse to do overnight passages when the weather presents itself.

But cold fronts are your friend in this passage. If you can hop on the back of one, you can make a lot of Easting and Southern miles non-stop before the winds re-establish in the E. But this requires overnight runs - we sailed from the Bahamas to Puerto Rico non-stop for 4 days in a 20-25kt broad reach on the back of a front.

Funny story - when hopping along the South coast of PR during a period of no wind at all, we found ourselves traveling along with another boat heading down the Carib like we were. But this boat was following Van Sant to the letter with no deviation or situational awareness. Again, there was no wind at all for 2 weeks. So every day, we would set out around 9am and motor in flat seas to the next place we wanted to go (against all of Bruce's advice). And every day, this other boat would wait, leave at 4am and we would see it arriving in the anchorage around 9am while we were pulling anchor and leaving for the next place.

Exactly like Bruce says to do!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:26   #33

Boat: 1984 34 Oday

i'm really not sure why folks are driving up the price. I've been given great advice here and am reading with a gain of salt handy.
justjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:43   #34

Location: hailing port: Pensacola on the stern, bodies in Fort Myers
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37'

Wow, we also had no idea: we gave our old edition away to a fellow cruiser who was just starting his voyage south after years of getting ready and wrapping up work... but we have our "new" edition (from West Marine? Cruising Guide Publications?), purchased in 2010. Guess that was the tail end of the print run on the latest edition. I also agree that BVS might have a line on where to find more copies or an e-version.
AquatiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 17:01   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Good lord, I just read this thread and had no idea we were sitting on a gold mine! We bought our copy just a couple of years ago at some regular, expected book price (don't remember, but I would not have spent over $30).

The book mostly just reinforces common sense and repeats the adage to wait for the weather window. And the book is mostly for those who refuse to do overnight passages when the weather presents itself.

But cold fronts are your friend in this passage. If you can hop on the back of one, you can make a lot of Easting and Southern miles non-stop before the winds re-establish in the E. But this requires overnight runs - we sailed from the Bahamas to Puerto Rico non-stop for 4 days in a 20-25kt broad reach on the back of a front.

Funny story - when hopping along the South coast of PR during a period of no wind at all, we found ourselves traveling along with another boat heading down the Carib like we were. But this boat was following Van Sant to the letter with no deviation or situational awareness. Again, there was no wind at all for 2 weeks. So every day, we would set out around 9am and motor in flat seas to the next place we wanted to go (against all of Bruce's advice). And every day, this other boat would wait, leave at 4am and we would see it arriving in the anchorage around 9am while we were pulling anchor and leaving for the next place.

Exactly like Bruce says to do!

Mark
Great thoughts here. Bruce's approach is great for the non-thinker, and good for the rest of us too... but take it all with a grain of salt. It's another tool in the tool chest. We varied from his approach quite a few times, but his input was very welcome in making OUR decision!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 21:15   #36

Amazon.com: Used and New: Ocean Passages and Landfalls

IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 21:25   #37

Boat: 1984 34 Oday

ROFL somebody please tell Mr Van Sant
justjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 21:34   #38

147.00 on Amazon.ca coming from Fla.

Amazon.ca: Used and New: The Gentlemen's Guide to Passages South
sic5y360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:46   #39

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty360 View Post
Not anymore. I tried to order the book online with cruisingguides.com, but did not have it eventhough they advertised that they did, so I called them. They then told me that it's out of print. They also said that Bruce is not doing to well, might be the reason it's not back in print. I had already looked on amazon where they were going from 500.00 to over $1000.00. It's on ebay with current bid at $495.00. Ran across this thread and checked out the Alibris books. Had one for $165.00, condition " very good ". Went ahead and ordered it. Heard good things about it, also that it's for people who can't think. Just want it to be part of my library. I'm not going to be in a big hurry anyway. Sam
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:56   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So, I brought the price down to half. Still weird that people would pay that while I sell my copies for much, much less. Read back in this thread and send a PM to buyers to ask if they are happy or not. Everybody can afford this guide!

ciao!
Nick.

Old 06-02-2012, 19:01   #41

Boat: 35' Canadian Northern

I just got a 2006 flavor for $35 from a used and rare book store from the net. What I did was google rare and used book. Then all you have is start checking their sites one by one. I got lucky It was in the first 20 or so that I checked.

s/v Misty
misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 19:04   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty View Post
I just got a 2006 flavor for $35 from a used and rare book store from the net. What I did was google rare and used book. Then all you have is start checking their sites one by one. I got lucky It was in the first 20 or so that I checked.

s/v Misty
Still a lot of money compared to the ones I'm selling but good to see the price paid is far from what was posted earlier. In fact, I think $35.- is fair enough.

ciao!
Nick.