Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2010, 20:12   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
PortimAo is a well known trouble spot for over zealous officialdom. Avoid it
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 20:31   #17

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
so I have hear the SHIP stamp thing a few times. Are we talking a self inking stamp with the ship name and what else or a stamp like my Notary stamp that will leave a raised edges on the paper and what all should be on the stamp?
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 13:24   #18

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Re: Ships Papers

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sailing certificate/qualifications (or good Fotocopy).
Boat registration papers. (As above)
Insurance. (As above)
Radio Licence. (As above)
If not named owner a letter from owner naming you as Skipper.
Cruising Permit if applicable.
Visas/passports of all on board.
I know this is a really old thread, but can anyone else confirm that photocopies of ships papers are acceptable in lieu of the originals. It would seem smart to me to keep originals separate from the duplicates in case there was a fire or theft of such documents. It's just a matter of do we carry the originals and keep the copies at home or the other way around?
Old 20-11-2012, 13:40   #19

Boat: Skookum 53'

last 10 ports of call
Nil declaration
crew list
Old 20-11-2012, 13:50   #20

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

Nice list! Another thing to consider having if you have children is a notarized letter saying that each parent has permission to travel alone with the kids.

I'll be flying back into Mexico once my husband gets the boat down to Puerto Vallarta and I'll have my 2 year old daughter with me. Sometimes (not always) and only with some countries, they want proof that you have the other parent's permission to take them out of the country and aren't kidnapping them.
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 14:10   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbatical II View Post
I know this is a really old thread, but can anyone else confirm that photocopies of ships papers are acceptable in lieu of the originals. It would seem smart to me to keep originals separate from the duplicates in case there was a fire or theft of such documents. It's just a matter of do we carry the originals and keep the copies at home or the other way around?
The difficulty in answering this question is that the answer varies with the venue and sometimes with who is working at that venue at the time you clear in/out (Belize is a prime example of this...every day is a brand new day!...sometimes it changes by the hour!).

I keep original and copies aboard. Some venues will want to at least see the original, some are fine with copies, some want multiple copies, some will take expired copies, some could care less about any of the above.

I also shoot digital copies of the original. In a pinch I have printed them out in color and no one noticed (or cared -- I didn't push my luck by asking which).

I keep the originals and multiple copies in my "Ship's Papers" folder along with any other paperwork I am likely to need. My standard paperwork includes.

- Registration (USCG Documented) original and multiple copies

- Crew List (format varies by port of entry, but I find if you have mulitple copies already filled out and printed then most, not all, officials are willing to accept your format).

- Proof of Insurance (...but I have never had anyone, other than USA marinas, ask.It's just a convenient place to file it....along with FCC licenses etc...which no official has ever requested either)

- Clearance Documents form last port of call. (Most venues/officials are quite interested in seeing these).

- Letter of Authorization (if your are skippering a boat which is not registered in your personal name then this is a good idea -- even if it is owned by a corporation which you own entirely. Officials don't always ask, but sometimes they do. It is especially important if you have no ownership interest in the vessel directly or indirectly -- for example, doing a delivery.)

- Passports of all aboard. (Originals only for clearance obviously, but a good a idea to make copies just in case.)

Bottom line is that it is best to check the requirements, and get appropriate documents together, for each venue before getting underway to go there.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 14:13   #22

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
How many keep digital copies online, such as in their email account or Dropbox?
Old 20-11-2012, 14:54   #23

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
The thing to remember is every Marina or Quayside that you tie up to in Europe an official will require your papers, they must be originals or Notarised copies, these are then left at the Marina/Quayside office for collection when you pay and leave.

I asked the same question because i feared the papers being stolen or destroyed etc however they said they must be notarised and believe me that's so simple to do in Australia but here it can mean red ribbon and melted wax i kid you not...

Frank
Old 20-11-2012, 15:40   #24
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
The thing to remember is every Marina or Quayside that you tie up to in Europe an official will require your papers, they must be originals or Notarised copies, these are then left at the Marina/Quayside office for collection when you pay and leave.

I asked the same question because i feared the papers being stolen or destroyed etc however they said they must be notarised and believe me that's so simple to do in Australia but here it can mean red ribbon and melted wax i kid you not...

Frank
Again, its not so simple, most europeans for example, now do not actually come across port officials any more , in the EU, I just check in with the Marina Operator, They just want insurance details and are happy to take good quality copies. Port officials for those actually clearing in , certainly want to see original ships registrations papers, and they dont care in general about insurance.

Dave
Old 20-11-2012, 19:44   #25

I have not cleared into Europe so their requirements could be different. I have a set of forms made up for clearance into other ports on an excel work book and each form has the the vessel's official #, call sign, IMO#, a spot for the ship's stamp, and Master's signature. I also present photo copies of the passports with a copy of the visa page where required, I have the crew keep possesion of their own passports as it is their documents and their responsibility, there are times that the officials insist on the originals, which are provided upon request, also photo copies of the yellow (shot) cards. I also provide copies of the vessel's Certification of Documentation, and will present the original if requested, as much as possible, I do not surrender the originals, I have not had any problems with this, how ever if they require originals, I will produce them immediately.
Old 20-11-2012, 21:14   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
I know this is a really old thread, but can anyone else confirm that photocopies of ships papers are acceptable in lieu of the originals.
Depends on what country you're visiting. Some want copies they can keep--some want to see the originals.

Learning how to keep the bureaucrats happy in every jurisdiction you visit is a huge part of cruising. For some cruisers this is not at all difficult, for others it is a nearly impossible task.
Old 20-11-2012, 21:40   #27

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Things can get pretty strange in the Old Caribe these days !! Except for the bahamas, most cruiseing destanations require Zarpes or clearence papers for entrance, and be sure to get departure papers before ya leave !!Ive always used Good quality Photo copys with Notery stamps on the ! my down the bayou Justice of the Peace charges me for 20 at a time, and it's cheap of crew lists doc papers, and everything ya can think of is good to have in a file with bunchs of copys so ya don't get upset when they want to keep them ! Just remember look as clean as ya can and be as polite as ya can ! and a smile and a attempt to speak there language to greet them go's a long way to getting ya through the ordeal LOL at least plenty of papers and a big smile and being polite has worked for me for over 40 years! I seldom ever get hassled! some have tried to hold me up for to much money, and I ask for there boss's name and number, mostly works !! But then a few bucks now and then are sometimes a good deal !! Just sayin don't get to uptite over checking in, Mostly the tell ya what ya need to do or have ! and going places is what it's all about!
Old 04-02-2014, 18:20   #28

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
And don't forget the boat stamp whatever you do !!

An official document is not an official document until it has been ceremonialy stamped with the official boatstamp.

Seemed to be very important when I visited the Andaman Islands (Indian). They were astounded that I had managed to leave Hong Kong, check in and out of the Philippines, Malaysia and Thailand without a boat stamp ..... shaking their heads in disbelief they were.

So - captains licence for Potugal, ships stamp for India.
What does one put on a ships stamp?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 18:21   #29
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
What does one put on a ships stamp?
Any auld nonsense you like

Dave
Old 05-02-2014, 03:17   #30

Vessel name, official # (if it is a documented vessel) and tonnage. IMO # if you have one.