Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2013, 20:34   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: What advice would you give a 'newbie' and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Another reason for a boat under 12 meters. Smaller engine, less consumption. Coming down to Mananaland, I averaged .37 gallons an hour...not too shabby!
being able to motor 24hrs using around a jerry can of fuel a day will keep cruising affordable as fuel gets more expensive,espesially in europe where cheap duty free fuel is a thing of the past.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 22:47   #17

Boat: Vancouver 27

Just go do it, buying a boat that's not gonna destroy you financially, and see how it pans out. I agree with Oceandeep that it should ideally also be one you like to look at, because it's going to be more labor-intensive than you think if you're at all serious about it.

While I really don't like the sailor/maintainer distinction, yes to becoming a sailor before you become a maintainer, lest you spend years refitting a boat only to discover cruising isn't for you. That doesn't mean you cant or shouldn't still lavish your boat with attention throughout

I'm still a youngen, only been sailing for about 6 years, but have actively cruised for a couple. I've working hard for my boat, and I've worked hard on my boat. I don't care if her teak gets dirty or her hull gets scratched and loses it shine, but I want her to treat me as well on the ocean as I treat her in the yard. And I like things that are built to last.

Pride of ownership and a sense of self-reliance and responsibility for everything on board should be just as important as anything else.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 23:23   #18

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame.n.Jess View Post

"if you were doing it all over again, what would be some of the things you would want to tell other people who are starting out, and why"

We are 3/4ths complete on our circumnavigation (S/V BeBe). I learned that almost everything I was told on a forum was told by someone with little or no real experience...and I would have been better off to have not sought information there/here.

That said, you will get the answer that you want to hear in forums...

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 23:58   #19

Boat: Skookum 53'

So what you are really saying is either go with 12m or less, or step up to the 14m. All around advice is keep things as simple as possible, learn what you don't like in a vessel as what you do like, before buying a vessel and as said before, be able to fix or repair your own vessel. The less you have to rely on the other guy the better.
Old 25-11-2013, 00:18   #20

Boat: Lagoon 400
svBeBe. Nice website and boat. I agree with your forum conclusions. However, feel free to support with more "relevant" knowledge when applicable. Cheers!
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 19:45   #21

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Good thing to remember, ask yourself, will I have a hard time reselling this boat if and when I decide it's time to stop sailing.
As boats in general are NOT great investments, this will,be important down the road. Someday.
Some vessels have a good reputation for resell, some you'd be lucky to give away.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 17:16   #22

Boat: Passport 42

I embarked on preparing for my dream of sailing with the intent to cruise to far off locations a year ago. I am still learning, so what I have found helpful is read as much as you can (books, blogs, etc). Do a sailing course or two- it helps if you know terminology and some techniques. And it helps if you join up as crew at your local yacht club. Most yacht owners are looking for crew. With the right attitude you can learn a lot, at minimal cost to yourself, with all parties benefitting from the experience.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ozzieKochie is offline   Reply With Quote