Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2007, 09:19   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
My favorite mags are Latitude 38, 48 North, Practical Sailor, and Cruisng World. In that order. I don't like reading off of a computer screen. When the family is watching tv I read a magazine or book. Ok reasons. Lat 38 my favorite part is the letters and changes in lattitude. Editorial content is pretty good and there are tidbits that I pick up thru out the magazine. There is alot of content and the ads aren't jammed down your throat like the glossies. 48 North I like for similar reasons. Articles are more cruise oriented. Practical Sailor is good b/c I am outfitting my boat. Some of their articles are not very useful but the seasoned veteran articles are ones that I find very useful. Crusing World I like b/c of the pictures. The articles are Ok but they do a good job with the camera work.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 13:31   #17

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post

Forums like this one also get you in contact with other sailors around the world. You get first hand information on a timely basis rather than hoping that someday someone would write an article on a subject in which you are interested.
And this is the best one I have found!
I have found 5 altogether that have regular attendees but not like this one!
I have learned much here and look forward to my continuing education.

Thanks much to you specifically maxingout!!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 13:52   #18

As someone new to the cruising scene, I can say that I enjoy reading Practical Sailor and water sailing">Blue Water Sailing quite a bit. The one from BoatUS is pretty good. There are some ariticles that I like in Cruising World but only usually a few. The rest I've looked at, Sail, Sailing, and Yachting World. Bleh!
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 16:25   #19

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Just let my last magazine expire. This forum answers questions where as magazines give information and many times is not relevant to your situation. Even newspapers are looking to on line sources for distributing news. Paper is too expensive.
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 08:06   #20

I do not like articles about the cruising attitude of sail someplace and get drunk. Oh yes, I drink when I sail but that is not the focus. I look to mags that can provide useful information about cruising destinations , living aboard and seamanship (and I mean living not just partying).
Old 26-09-2007, 08:31   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Less articles about boats like Bruce Hood's $1.7M 55 footer. It sure isn't aimed at me!!
I'll be letting my subscriptions to CW, Sailing and Latts&Atts expire and keeping just Good Old Boat. It's the only one in which I can relate to all the articles in one way or another.
It's also the only one that isn't 80% adds.
I'm with you. I do like the DIY mags that have popped up, DIY & Boatworks. I will always keep Practical Sailor. I find more timely info in BoatUS.
Old 26-09-2007, 08:35   #22

Boat: Cheoy Lee Ludders 36
I agree, boat or product reviews that do nothing but pimp a product are a great reason to avoid buying a magazine. I want to spend my hard earned cash for stories written with my best interest in mind, not the best interest of the magazine's advertisers. The only thing more aggravating than sensing how gullible the editors of those shiny magazines think we are is realizing that in all too many cases they are correct.
I just picked up a couple issues of "Living Aboard" at (forgive me) West Marine. They contained stories by, for and about living aboard. As a wannabe live aboard the magazine is far more appealing to me than Cruising World etc. More like the old Tom Neal stuff someone mentioned above. Kind of selling the lifestyle rather than stuff. I only hope my wife starts reading them too...
I can't say how useful the articles would be to folks already living on their vessels full time.
JohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 13:42   #23

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
I also have no use for articles about Mega yachts... or ads poorly hidden as product reviews.

I would like to see more stories with wit, good writing skills, something that will make me laugh and learn something new even if it is how NOT to do something. I agree Log Book post are dry... really dry in print when you paid $$ for the magazine... at least on line I can avoid them or click to another page when I come across another of the Realllllllly boring ones... as most are.

I do like good photographs of places but not snap shots of people saying I was Here... or things that remind me of a freshman's dorm party.

Real articles on real places with real photos not just the exotic locations. A good article about a local gunk-hole location or recent well written info on an island hop that didn't involve bad judgment at the start... such as heading out in a storm would be more interesting than the "I saved myself from my own Stupidity" type articles some magazines seem to require.

Wonder if any such magazine would every get printed. Probably not.
Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 16:42   #24

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Fatty Goodlander! He is the sole reason to subscribe to CW for us. I love his articles and hope to find him in an anchorage beside us someday! If you read this....."we love you Fatty and Caroline"!
Old 26-09-2007, 16:56   #25

Aye aye to Fatty! Best part of Cruising World, especially now that Ithaka is gone.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 20:25   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I would rather do it than read about it. That's why most blogs, not all, are a waste of bandwidth.

Information that helps me do it, is much more apealing. Boat maintenance and repair, practical sailing advice, and "here are the ins and outs of getting in and out of X and Y."

I don't need ads in my face. When I am looking for something I can find plenty of options for it.

In fact this place is pretty perfect ;-)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 23:38   #27

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I agree with everything everyone has said about those shiny covered sailing rags. One in particular could be renamed "Advertising World". When I lived in Ca. We had a S.F. based rag called Latitude 38. Great stuff. They can be found on line. The biggest loser of a rag for me was that latitudes and attitudes. A biker editor turned sailor over-night and it showed.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 01:17   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Weather or not...

My beef with sailing mags is they don't talk about the weather.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 05:10   #29

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
That's in case some twit puts to sea and does himself a serious injury. Weather training is probably the most important but under publicised element of sailing. That's because it's not shiny with a profit margin - Met training ain't sexy enough for the magazines, not the glossy ones anyway . . .
Old 27-09-2007, 05:18   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
My beef with sailing mags is they don't talk about the weather.
See the Nov/Dec 2005 (Issue 45) of “Good Old Boat” magazine, for “Weather Basics” (how to read weather maps),
or goto: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...arts-4087.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote