Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 20:04   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by scook1 View Post
When I read the book, I considered that it may not be entirely true. It is an entertaining book, and as such is meant to entice people to sailing. How was it that you worked on Isoletta?
Spencer
I had been working for a couple of winters at a yard on the New River in Fort Lauderdale restoring a classic motor yacht. When that job was completed the, then, owner of Isoletta asked me if I would do some work for him. Isoletta had been built in Scotland in 1909. The first thing I did on the boat was to install a deck vent. This was in 1987 and even after 78 years of scrubbing the decks were STILL nearly an inch and three quarters thick! I worked on projects on Isoletta for the next couple of years and then spent three years running an 85' ketch in France and Spain and another year poking around Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. When I returned from that soujourn I went back to work for the owner of Isoletta, long since gone. Together we ran a small repair yard together for four years, did the service work for all Federally arrested boats from Key West to Cape Canaveral for several years. For the last six years I served as his office manager for his construction company. All that from the installation of a deck vent.
Old 10-01-2010, 22:00   #62

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt_1942 View Post
I had been working for a couple of winters at a yard on the New River in Fort Lauderdale restoring a classic motor yacht. When that job was completed the, then, owner of Isoletta asked me if I would do some work for him. Isoletta had been built in Scotland in 1909. The first thing I did on the boat was to install a deck vent. This was in 1987 and even after 78 years of scrubbing the decks were STILL nearly an inch and three quarters thick! I worked on projects on Isoletta for the next couple of years and then spent three years running an 85' ketch in France and Spain and another year poking around Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. When I returned from that soujourn I went back to work for the owner of Isoletta, long since gone. Together we ran a small repair yard together for four years, did the service work for all Federally arrested boats from Key West to Cape Canaveral for several years. For the last six years I served as his office manager for his construction company. All that from the installation of a deck vent.
Cool story,
Thanks for sharing. I guess it goes to show that you never know what opportunities could come out of something simple.
Spencer
Old 10-01-2010, 23:29   #63

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Reading two right now.
One on the Kindle, free, is Jules Verne Mysterious Island.
Then for Xmas, I got Beth Lenords voyaging handbook (think thats what its called...)
Both are great books.