Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2014, 12:51   #31

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: 1994 Bristol Channel Cutter - what would you pay?

This thread is a great example of why there are so many different boat designs, build qualities and prices.

Each sailor has their idea of what is the perfect boat and they forget to add the "for them" to the end of the sentence. The longer we sail and the more boats we experience the narrower is the definition of the perfect boat for us.

I like the design of the BCC but have never sailed one or been aboard one. There is no boat in my definition of the perfect boat for me which would command a $110K price regardless of Canadian dollars or US dollars. Just my opinion of course.
Old 13-01-2014, 02:03   #32

I think I can understand someone loving a BCC as they are quite unique, especially tto the eye. New French. and German boats are all looking the same, boxy, high freeboard with squared off ends and 2 wheels. If you don't understand that old sells then you don't understand basic marketing. Think Harly Davidson, think Clothes, you get the drift.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 16:30   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacap View Post
I didn't buy my BCC because of the mystique or the Pardeys. I bought it because it was as well built as you can get and an excellent sea boat. The most comfortable and dry boat I have ever sailed on. I have no idea what BCC's you have known, but your description is totally off base.

After working as professional skipper for 15 years I had a lot of experience on all kinds of vessels up to 85'. After owning a Lyle Hess design for 22 years (16 on an engineless 22 Falmouth, and now 6 on BCC ) there are few other vessels I would consider for myself.

Would I buy one again, you bet. Are the over priced, not really.
You must compare apples to apples.
People seem to focus on the 28' number. This is the most erroneous number to judge the size of a vessel.
Compare the BCC to a Crealock 34
On deck length 28/34
Length waterline 26.25/26.25
Beam 10/10
Draft 4.83/4.92
Displacement 14000/13500
Ballast 4600/4800
Sail area 673/533

Oh, and the long bowsprit. You just need to knock out one wood fid and the whole thing slides inboard. So you only have to pay for 30'.

Keep in mind the displacement number. Probably one of the more important numbers in judging the size of a vessel. Note that the USCG issues licenses based on tonnage, not on length. Also custom boat builders usually base a bid for a custom build on the displacement. A price per pound as it were.

Now go price a Crealock 34
Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com

I also would bet big money that I would beat a Crealock 34 into port by 2-4 days on a passage from San Diego to Tahiti. And that could mean we beat a storm in, or get the last of the ice cream supply.

I have ridden out 3 hurricanes on my Falmouth, the small sister to the BCC. I was so confident in the construction that I went to bed just after the eye of a cat 3 past by. I was also in a very good hole.

So I would say, without reservation that the BCC is good value. Make no mistake, she is a serious sea boat, not a floating condo.

I'm I trying to sell my boat? Not in the least. If I can I will pass it on to my heirs.

Oh by the way, the price was CAN not USD, so take off 10,000

IMHO
I'm new to this forum, so if this post is off protocol, please kindly let me know.

You posted this answer a while back, but I found the thread while doing a google search "are Bristol Channel Cutters wet sailing boats".

We're seriously looking at buying a BCC, and having never sailed on one thought I'd try to glean some insight through others that have sailed BCC's.

I was very glad to read your answer that they are dry sailing boats, I thought I had read that fact years ago, particularly after reading another's answer that they were "wet" sailing boats.

I hope you're still receiving updates to this thread. I was wondering if you could elaborate a little more about the element you referred to on retracting the bowsprit?

We're located in Southern California and dock space is priced per ft at about the same rate as gold is per ounce so retracting the bowsprit on the BCC would be very helpful.

Any additional input (positive and negative connotations welcomed) on ownership would be greatly appreciated.
SailorChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 16:46   #34

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=SailorChris;2216713]
We're seriously looking at buying a BCC, and having never sailed on one thought I'd try to glean some insight through others that have sailed BCC's.

We had a race with one once along the coast of Baja. I thought I would get ahead at one point but he pulled some funny move that made me have to fall off towards shore. He cheated.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 06:06   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:35   #36

They are fast boats. Our friends sailed with us in their Falmouth Cutter 22 ft. It would consistently keep up with our 30 footer. In fact the boats seemed to be almost identical speed. regardless of wind direction.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter