Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 11:45   #16

Re: 3 options small Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
Out of the 3, I would choose the Prout. Strongly built, long heritage of ocean cruising and you will find them all round the world which is proof of their seaworthyness. This is important IF you want to cross oceans. Not so if you are coastal cruising. The other two were not built/designed to cross oceans.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aren't parts hard and very very expensive?
I also read that the engine (Volvo Penta MD 2030) tends to break and it is very expensive to repair....
Espiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:51   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
Out of the 3, I would choose the Prout. Strongly built, long heritage of ocean cruising and you will find them all round the world which is proof of their seaworthyness. This is important IF you want to cross oceans. Not so if you are coastal cruising. The other two were not built/designed to cross oceans.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They seem to be very well build...Should I be concerned with Electronics or the engine?
Volvo has some bad reputation...
Old 05-12-2018, 12:44   #18

Boat: J-24; J-105

gemini 105 in Beaufort, SC. $50,000

https://charleston.craigslist.org/bo...751350198.html
Wannabes00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 13:55   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 3 options small Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espiros View Post

I also read that the engine (Volvo Penta MD 2030) tends to break and it is very expensive to repair....
Actually many are fitted with Yanmar engines.. the Elite is the best being 1ft beamier than the early models.

As to parts.. what parts are you talking about???

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 21:58   #20

Im with Mark. Sailing our Packet Cat through Indonesia at the moment.
We havnt had any issues with ours (Touch wood).
It is a bit slow at times but we're not in a rush. She gets up and boogies with about 10kts anything under that and we whip out the assym or turn on one of the yanmars.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWJ...6-xmk47eC41EHw
Dieselmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:47   #21

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:

Parts? You don't really buy parts for boats from the boat manufacturer. Almost everything bar the hulls is made by a 3rd party, and it's just standard marine stuff.

I would imagine that very few Prouts still have the original Volvo engine. All the ones I've seen Diesels had a Yanmar or twin Yanmars, the others converted to an outboard.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:16   #22

Quote:
Headroom is important to me, I'm 6', so I think anyone will serve as long as they are 6'1".
I'm towards getting one with outboard engines.....I'm not the best mechanic and having 2 off them give me confidence that I will be able to keep moving if one engine breaks and I'm stock with no air whatsoever..

Last, I'm scare of getting something way to old and end up having to pay a mountain of money to make it work.

These are the main reasons why a Gemini is one of my top choices, They are cheaper and more modern than others, I love the idea of Prout and like the layout but, they seem to be older, same as catalac
When you check out the boats, use everything (or at least mimic it). Sit on the toilet get in and out of the bed a couple times.

I'm 6'2" and never had an issue with the Gemini as there is enough headroom where you need it.

We only had 1 engine on the Gemini (outboard). With the new 4 stroke EFI, they only miss diesel efficiency by a little. Also, the fuel tanks are bottom vented below the bridge deck (effectively the same as your car) for safety.

As backup, you have sails and we kept the 5 hp dingy motor on a mount on the rear steps. It wouldn't be fast but you could drop that into the water and make 2-3kts if no wind and the main motor died.

The nice thing is most of the models you are looking at are much simpler designs, so easier for a DIY guy.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:32   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselmech View Post
Im with Mark. Sailing our Packet Cat through Indonesia at the moment.
We havnt had any issues with ours (Touch wood).
It is a bit slow at times but we're not in a rush. She gets up and boogies with about 10kts anything under that and we whip out the assym or turn on one of the yanmars.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWJ...6-xmk47eC41EHw
I will subscribe to your You Tube Channel, thanks for the input...
Old 06-12-2018, 12:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Actually many are fitted with Yanmar engines.. the Elite is the best being 1ft beamier than the early models.

As to parts.. what parts are you talking about???
The engine parts, I read somewhere they are hard to find and expensive...But, Do not Quote on that, since I do not know for sure what the case could be.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:36   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
When you check out the boats, use everything (or at least mimic it). Sit on the toilet get in and out of the bed a couple times.

I'm 6'2" and never had an issue with the Gemini as there is enough headroom where you need it.

We only had 1 engine on the Gemini (outboard). With the new 4 stroke EFI, they only miss diesel efficiency by a little. Also, the fuel tanks are bottom vented below the bridge deck (effectively the same as your car) for safety.

As backup, you have sails and we kept the 5 hp dingy motor on a mount on the rear steps. It wouldn't be fast but you could drop that into the water and make 2-3kts if no wind and the main motor died.

The nice thing is most of the models you are looking at are much simpler designs, so easier for a DIY guy.

The dingy motor idea, I would never tough about it....Tells me, how much I have to learn.....Thnak you!
Old 06-12-2018, 13:33   #26

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
They look different, I like the idea of the 3rd hull been a huge storage area.
I would like to get some scuba diving equipment and that would be a good place to keep it at.

I guess I will have to add them to the list of candidates but, the problem will be to find one, they do no seem to be many of them around....
My scuba compressor with the 5hp gas engine (which will be switched to 110v ac) will go up there as well as sails, work table and other stuff

They are available but you'll need to be patient. As I said before. You MUST, ABSOLUTELY MUST go see these and any others available regardless of price range and start looking at small details. How are they laid out? Where is all your stuff going to go? What little details do they have? is the manufacturer still in business?

When I was interested in the Gemini I posted on the Gemini owners forum if anyone was pithing a Geographic range and would show me their boat. None were fo sale through brokerages. A nice owner happily showed me their Gem and ran through the plusses and minuses. So valuable.

If you are in the Pacific NW, I am in Portland Oregon and David is in Seattle. Either of us will show you our boats.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:36   #27

If you are in the Pacific NW, I am in Portland Oregon and David is in Seattle. Either of us will show you our boats.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer!
I live in Milwaukee tough.

Yes, I will add them to my list, including PDQ Catamarans as well.
Old 09-12-2018, 00:45   #28

Quote:
The dingy motor idea, I would never tough about it....Tells me, how much I have to learn.....Thnak you!
Not our idea, it came with the boat and we used it primarily for storage of the motor.

But it was one of the spring loaded trolling motor mounts, so 2 sec to drop it into the water but completely clear when not in use (similar advantage with a central outboard being completely out of the water when not in use, so no drag and probably more important, no corrosion)

Never had to use it in real life but played with it a couple times. 5hp would slowly get you up close to 3mph. If it's windy, you would want to use the sails anyway but enough to get you into a slip.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:19   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 3 options small Cat

Quote:
The engine parts, I read somewhere they are hard to find and expensive...But, Do not Quote on that, since I do not know for sure what the case could be.
Engines pn boats are generally truck engines marinised so by your filters etc from truck dealers not marine stores.. for example my John Deere was a tractor engine so I got all my stuff from the local tractor dealer..
Stay clear of marine shops..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:25   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Engines pn boats are generally truck engines marinised so by your filters etc from truck dealers not marine stores.. for example my John Deere was a tractor engine so I got all my stuff from the local tractor dealer..
Stay clear of marine shops..
Not many truck engines in sub 40' sailing cats. It's rare to see above 50hp in small cats. Or maybe just really tiny trucks?

But yes, if you can find the non-marine version of parts, you can save some money.

Still a heck of a lot cheaper in this size range to go outboard powered.